Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

CX forcibly canceled the entire schedule !!

CX forcibly canceled the entire schedule !!

Old Feb 14, 20, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: HILTON DIAMOND, ONEWOLRD EMERALD
Angry CX forcibly canceled the entire schedule !!

I have used Oneworld Malaysia Airlines mileage to issue CX awards ticket to Maldives 2020 2/19-2/29 for Business Class. (Family paid business class)
But, 10 days before the trip, got an message it cancelled and rebooked 2/20-2/26

I contacted both Malaysia airlines and Cathay Pacific.
CX, we can do is provide schedule 2/20-26 only, no endorsement
MH, Two choice 1. Cancel without mileage refund, take it, sorry 2. same route, other date, sorry, no endorsement

My family got an endorsement to Qatar airways same date.

I think that economic problem makes CX reduce flight schedule plus wuhan pneumonia. Anyway this is their own problem, Involuntary schedule Chagne.

What can I do? I didn't get any compensation, No millage refund, No endorsement 5 days left.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I have used Oneworld Malaysia Airlines mileage to issue CX awards ticket to Maldives 2020 2/19-2/29 for Business Class. (Family paid business class)
But, 10 days before the trip, got an message it cancelled and rebooked 2/20-2/26

I contacted both Malaysia airlines and Cathay Pacific.
CX, we can do is provide schedule 2/20-26 only, no endorsement
MH, Two choice 1. Cancel without mileage refund, take it, sorry 2. same route, other date, sorry, no endorsement

My family got an endorsement to Qatar airways same date.

I think that economic problem makes CX reduce flight schedule plus wuhan pneumonia. Anyway this is their own problem, Involuntary schedule Chagne.

What can I do? I didn't get any compensation, No millage refund, No endorsement 5 days left.
Malaysia Airlines award ticket, not a CX award ticket. Clueless why you didn't post in the Malaysia Airlines forum.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:44 am

Yeah it sucks and many of us are impacted in different ways. That said as noted your issue (at least refund wise) is with Malaysia Airlines and not Cathay. I have no idea why they wouldn't issue you a mileage refund but then I have no familiarity with Malaysia Airlines' program.
HarbourGent and JordanWalker like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:16 am

You have to go through Malaysia. That is who you booked your ticket through. CX cannot (will not) touch it at this time
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
You have to go through Malaysia. That is who you booked your ticket through. CX cannot (will not) touch it at this time
In Enrich Malaysia Airlines regarding award ticket rule

Change of Date / Rerouting
iii. Partner airline flight retiming / delay / cancellation
Flight cancellation or retiming to a partner airline flight redeemed,
the partner airline is responsible to arrange for suitable flight

So they were told me to contact Cathay Pacific with this information.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is true for IRROPS on the day of travel. However, changes in advance of the day of travel are the responsibility of the ticketing carrier.

As you know, CX faces a challenging situation as this time and is unlikely to be helpful even if in other times it might have been.
Tokyoite and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
agree. changes in advance of the day of travel are the responsibility of the ticketing carrier.
your business is with the ticketing currency you chose, Enrich Malaysia Airlines program.
plan A - accept the changes and adjust your itinerary and other bookings (hotels etc.) accordingly, at your own cost.
plan B - reject, cancel and either abandon trip or rebook via cash tickets (negotiate with your family minister of finance = wife!)

this is 21st century air travel. there are untold risks with any trip.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:54 am

Programs: MH, AC, AS
view-with-room/

ok.. but put yourself in my shoes.
Plenty of folks here have experience dealing with cancellations/schedule changes on partner-issued award tickets. Your issue is unfortunate but far from uncommon across the industry.

Thereve been dozens of posts about the recent cancellations. Count yourself lucky that CX even proactively offered an alternative even if the dates dont work for you. Some people just had their itineraries cancelled outright.

CX will not rebook you on QR on an award ticket. If one purchased a cash ticket directly from CX (which sounds like what your family did), then it does become CXs responsibility to find you an alternative. In your case, its MHs problem since they issued the ticket. If you absolutely must travel on the same flights your best bet would be to escalate for a full refund and just book the same QR flights with cash (or miles, if there happens to be award space).
DiamondMile and JordanWalker like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
view-with-room/

ok.. but put yourself in my shoes.
If I were in your shoes, I would be contacting Malaysia Airlines.

The two new itineraries overlap. Enjoy the holiday.

Additionally, the situation highlights the risk associated with booking an itinerary for a family with multiple PNRs (and/or the reduction in risk with booking an itinerary with one PNR).

I have a trip to / from Bali mid March and booked the "to" via LifeMiles (United and EVA) and the "from" via American Airlines (AA and CX). The concern is availability from the hub in the USA to home. Other OneWorld carriers would have issues with American Airlines opening award space but AA would not have the same issue. Ultimately increased flexibility will be required for both the air and the hotel. And do keep in mind the situation may change yet again due to the every changing issues.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:26 am

Other than on the date of travel, it is solely Malaysian;s responsibility to handle any reroute. In the best of times, CX has no obligation here and certainly won't take any on under the circumstances.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
In my eyes it is time to roll out EC261/2004 protections all around the world.

Because if EC261/2004 applies (which it does not), then the operation carrier (here CX) is clearly on the hook either for a full refund or free reroute/endorsement - regardless of who issued the ticket.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post

Because if EC261/2004 applies (which it does not), then the operation carrier (here CX) is clearly on the hook either for a full refund or free reroute/endorsement - regardless of who issued the ticket.
I can't agree with you more !!!!, It is disaster to me.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post

Put another way, most countries have had the sense and decency not to impose nannycrat rules which are a drag on economic development and job growth. It's been 15 years since the Regulation and it isn't as though Japan, China, the US, or Australia, the giants of commercial aviation, have stumbled down this road.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: