Alternative options KUL - LHR ?

Old Feb 7, 20, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Sapphire, SIXT Diamond
Alternative options KUL - LHR ?

I've exclusively flown MH between KUL - LHR for the past decade++, mainly due to the easily connection from my domestic flight. My last flight on this route was Sept 19 in J.

however I've recently been on long haul Cathay, Turkish, Philippine and United and the "wool" was taken from my eyes.

MH is good, but definitely not keeping up with the competition, who are also offering good rates.

Assuming connection / journey time is not an issue, which airline apart from MH would be recommended between KUL and LHR / (or other London Airport) ?

Sorry if it's not the correct forum, but I'd like to compare the competition against MH on this route. Airlines I can think of :

1. Cathay
2. Japan
3. Qatar
4. Qantas(via Singapore)
Above netts Enrich Miles too

5. Turkish
6. Emirates
7. Singapore
8. Eithad
9. Thai
10. Oman

I've left out KLM and British since I'm assuming MH hardware and software are on par with them ? Price wise the competition should not be 10% more than a MH ticket.
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:49 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
To be honest i would stay with MAS and the direct flight. I would avoid Etihad who are getting worse by the day. I would also check out the likely equipment the Emirates 777 has 2-3-2 configuration and is not a pleasant experience. Just flown with Oman who have 2-2-2 BUT the window seats all have easy access to the aisle without the need to climb over the aisle seat passenger. Emitates have great lounge in Dubai (and chauffeur) and the cathay lounge in Hong Kong is good

If you were flying first then I would suggest a change but not business unless you find a big saving to compensate for time and the inconvenience of the transfer
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Not sure about the theory that MH hardware and software is on a par with BA (canít comment on KLM). Iíd probably give it a go once and see, you might like the difference

QF via SIN would be an A380, currently there is around an 80% chance of an unrefurbished plane which suffers *issues* if I may put it mildly. The refurbished birds are obviously a significant improvement but not sure Iíd want to go out of my way for them
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:01 am

Programs: JAL JMB Sapphire & One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by wantan View Post
I've exclusively flown MH between KUL - LHR for the past decade++, mainly due to the easily connection from my domestic flight. My last flight on this route was Sept 19 in J.

however I've recently been on long haul Cathay, Turkish, Philippine and United and the "wool" was taken from my eyes.

MH is good, but definitely not keeping up with the competition, who are also offering good rates.

Assuming connection / journey time is not an issue, which airline apart from MH would be recommended between KUL and LHR / (or other London Airport) ?

Sorry if it's not the correct forum, but I'd like to compare the competition against MH on this route. Airlines I can think of :

2. Japan
If you search from KUL to London via Japan via JL/NH. No through fare will be shown as it is not filled.
Unless you do seperate KUL-TYO then TYO-LHR then you can see the pricing which is super duper high (flight flying oout from TYO is super expensive when converted to MYR) and not worth your time.
I not sure if you are able to get pricing if you buy it via travel agent/GDS.
Please see my comment above in Red.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:10 am

Programs: Enrich
How about saudia? As long as you are not alcohol lover maybe can give a try?
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by dici View Post
Or Royal Brunei (no alcohol as well if I am not wrong)
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SriLankan Airlines UL is another KUL-CMB-LON & SIN. Is a Oneworld member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SriLankan_Airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

A non stop flight has advantages
The grass in not always greener on the other side
nancypants and wandering_fred like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:13 pm

Make life interesting. Try a variety of airlines, even if indirect, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Sapphire, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
To be honest i would stay with MAS and the direct flight. I would avoid Etihad who are getting worse by the day. I would also check out the likely equipment the Emirates 777 has 2-3-2 configuration and is not a pleasant experience. Just flown with Oman who have 2-2-2 BUT the window seats all have easy access to the aisle without the need to climb over the aisle seat passenger. Emitates have great lounge in Dubai (and chauffeur) and the cathay lounge in Hong Kong is good
I'm also thinking about the return journey, whereby CX / QF will have access to all the OneWorld T3 lounges.

How is the ground experience for Eithad and Oman ?

And how does the chauffeur work on Emirates ? Valid for transit or do I need to space in extra time in Dubai with the free hotel offer ?

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Not sure about the theory that MH hardware and software is on a par with BA (canít comment on KLM). Iíd probably give it a go once and see, you might like the difference

QF via SIN would be an A380, currently there is around an 80% chance of an unrefurbished plane which suffers *issues* if I may put it mildly. The refurbished birds are obviously a significant improvement but not sure Iíd want to go out of my way for them
Do you mean BA has better products than MH ? On the return it'll be a plus with T5 lounges , but I've only flown short haul BA and reading some trip reports the in flight product is still behind carriers like Qatar ?

Originally Posted by minizian View Post
Please see my comment above in Red.If you search from KUL to London via Japan via JL/NH. No through fare will be shown as it is not filled.
Unless you do seperate KUL-TYO then TYO-LHR then you can see the pricing which is super duper high (flight flying oout from TYO is super expensive when converted to MYR) and not worth your time.
I not sure if you are able to get pricing if you buy it via travel agent/GDS.
thanks, I searched on https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ , and seems the booking for JL needs to be via AA website. Pricing on my dates are around RM17k via Japan while MH is RM15k in J.

Originally Posted by dici View Post
Originally Posted by minizian View Post
Or Royal Brunei (no alcohol as well if I am not wrong)
hehe, what's a trip without some drinks

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
SriLankan Airlines UL is another KUL-CMB-LON & SIN. Is a Oneworld member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SriLankan_Airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

A non stop flight has advantages
The grass in not always greener on the other side
thanks didn't have this on my radar , will try to read up about them.
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by wantan View Post
Do you mean BA has better products than MH ? On the return it'll be a plus with T5 lounges , but I've only flown short haul BA and reading some trip reports the in flight product is still behind carriers like Qatar ?
BA is consistently inconsistent- if you get a great crew they are fabulous, whereas if you get a bad crew the opposite. BA and QF are extremely similar in this regard. But I know a lot of people favour them over the likes of MH so I think itís reasonable to give them a try, especially with the new club suite product coming out

are any of these options as good as QR? Well, I donít personally rate Qatar that highly so I would say I prefer UL over MH and MH over QF, QR or BA
Old Feb 8, 20, 4:54 am

Ground experience with Etihad was appalling and one of the reasons I no longer use them. All too often there was no priority security screening for Premium passengers - yes they had dedicated lanes but just the one queue for everyone rather defeating the purpose. My experience with Oman was excellent

Only used the Emirates chauffeur at beginning and end of the trip so no idea about transit in Dubai but an excellent service
Old Feb 8, 20, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver / OW Sapphire
I recently booked Oman Air in J from KUL-MCT-LHR with a free stopover in MCT on the return leg. Total cost was rm7100, a bargain! Flight is in May so I can't review it yet but RM7100 was nearly half of what QR and MH were asking for at the time.
Old Feb 9, 20, 4:51 am

As others have said try a few. Don't underestimate the loss of utility caused by a stop in the middle of the night somewhere half way. For that reason I'd favour those airlines that are either non stop, or do the Asia-Europe at least as a non stop.

Options that don't seem to have been mentioned - VN also have a nice long haul product. Also check out GF via BKK - can't remember if KUL is now in the codeshares. Nice product on the 787.

IMO MH are better than BA, and miles ahead of KLM on all fronts (except the delft houses).
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 5:11 am

I always had impression that Mat Salleh/Angmo/Guailo Airline are not as customer oriented vs Asian Airlines especially toward Asian pax.

I not sure if Philippines Airlines have connectivity to Europe (knowing they are more promoting to US). A friend of mine booked PAL to Narita via Manila but got into total mess as he got email from Customer Service informed him to board the next day due to schedule change. The next day he went to airport was told why he did not show up on the flight which was as per scheduled (contradicting info from customer service) and his itin went down the drain and need to buy whole trip again. Not sure if he able to get refund as per original email from customer service team.

End up he fly to japan via MH at an expensive last minutes fare

To TS, do you have concern about getting the Elite Points to level up in Enrich when sitting on other airlines? I would prefer stick to MH and go up to enrich Gold/Platinum then only think about this option

Like what @mr_botak have mentioned, it is better than to have direct flight then having some connectivity on another city which exposes risk of sheet hitting the fan.
Old Feb 9, 20, 5:30 am

do as I say and not as I do!

A non stop flight is better than one with a transit in the middle unless you can sleep anywhere although the short connecting flight is less of a hassle if timings suitable

I had no complaints with Oman but I would opt if all other things were equal for MAS on the non stop

Search this Thread
Search Engine: