1 hour connection time at BKI

Old Jan 6, 20, 5:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 90
1 hour connection time at BKI

Looking to book TPE -> BKI -> TWU. Malaysia airlines offers this as 1 ticket with a 60 minute connection time in BKI. Has anyone have any experience connecting in BKI especially coming off an international flight? Will I have to go through immigration and recheck my bags in an hour?
godbreath is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 303
Thats more than sufficient. i have done transfers at BKI in 15mins! Especially if the whole journey is in one ticket, the ground staff would be expecting you on arrival and may even escort you through the whole transit process especially if the inbound was late.

Your bags will be sent through to TWU and you will only see them there. (Make sure they are tagged to TWU at check-in at TPE) However, at BKI, you will need to go through the transit immigration counters (which are one floor down from international arrivals - look out for the signboards) to get your entry stamp into the state of Sabah. Should not take more than 5 minutes to get this done and note that that this is not part of the normal “arrivals” immigration for those terminating at BKI.
godbreath likes this.
Zawnet is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 428
Just to make sure you get a stamp on your passport before you proceed to gate. There is some flaw in BKI immigration design, such that recently there are a lots of news where foreigners being detained at BKI before their return flight because they somehow didn't pass thru the immigration counter, and there is no stamp and record of their entry
dici is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by dici View Post
Just to make sure you get a stamp on your passport before you proceed to gate. There is some flaw in BKI immigration design, such that recently there are a lots of news where foreigners being detained at BKI before their return flight because they somehow didn't pass thru the immigration counter, and there is no stamp and record of their entry
This is generally irrelevant if one directly arrives from or directly departs to an international (non-Malaysia) destination.

The flaw that you mentioned is the layout of the BKI terminal and the haphazard pax flow towards immigration if transiting in BKI from/to other Malaysian destinations outside of the state of Sabah.
Zawnet is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:34 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 90
Thanks for the responses! I am also looking to book BKI -> KUL -> DPS again all on one ticket and with a 65 minute connection. Will this be doable as well? I am considering booking this in business class so that would help by being in the front of the plane.
godbreath is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by godbreath View Post
Thanks for the responses! I am also looking to book BKI -> KUL -> DPS again all on one ticket and with a 65 minute connection. Will this be doable as well? I am considering booking this in business class so that would help by being in the front of the plane.
If you are Malaysian, it is more than enough, the trick is go out via domestic arrival and go thru the main immigration area, instead of queueing at the domestic to international transit immigration inside the transit area.

But if you fly in business class and non-Malaysian, you can do this too to utilize the business class immigration counter. But you can check the queue for domestic to international transfer counter first before doing this
godbreath likes this.
dici is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:57 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by godbreath View Post
Thanks for the responses! I am also looking to book BKI -> KUL -> DPS again all on one ticket and with a 65 minute connection. Will this be doable as well? I am considering booking this in business class so that would help by being in the front of the plane.
Perfectly fine.
godbreath likes this.
Zawnet is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: EK Silver
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by dici View Post
If you are Malaysian, it is more than enough, the trick is go out via domestic arrival and go thru the main immigration area, instead of queueing at the domestic to international transit immigration inside the transit area.

But if you fly in business class and non-Malaysian, you can do this too to utilize the business class immigration counter. But you can check the queue for domestic to international transfer counter first before doing this
The airside domestic to international immigration has been recently revamped with autogates for Malaysian passport, so that trick of going out to domestic arrival is now passe
nedelk is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by nedelk View Post
The airside domestic to international immigration has been recently revamped with autogates for Malaysian passport, so that trick of going out to domestic arrival is now passe
Wow! That's a great news
dici is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: