Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH to QR transit at KUL On separate tickets questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Hey all,

Forgive me if this issue has been already covered, but I have a few questions regarding an MH to QR transit on separate tickets. So I’ll be arriving on MH783 from BKK around 20:25 and connecting to QR853 that departs KUL at 02:15 later that night (technically the next day). For what it’s worth I’m flying in J both segments and am a QR plat (OWE).

1. I know under normal circumstances, MH should be able to through check my bags at BKK even though they’re separate tickets, but because technically I’m departing the following day, would they still be able to through check them?

2. Will MH staff at BKK be able to print out my QR boarding passes? I ask this because I read that QR’s transit desk doesn’t open until 3 hrs prior to departure and needless to say, I’ll be arriving much before that.

3. If MH staff at BKK aren’t able to print out my QR boarding pass, would a mobile bp be ok for transit security and lounge access at KUL?

4. Finally, assuming I have access as a OWE, is it best just to spend all of my layover at the MH F lounge in the satellite terminal or are there other notable lounges I should check out?

Sorry for this post being super long and if this information is already covered. But any help, advice, or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Last edited by fender5787; Nov 21, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MH separate ticket thread---> Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:16 pm

Here’s a directly relevant thread w flyers’ experiences, looks like it answers your key queries: MH/QR long connection questions
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having done this myself with even an earlier flight out of BKK, MH agents at BKK should be able to print all your BPs to final destination and check your bags through with no problem.

From my experience, if your flight ex DOH is to U.S. destinations then they will only print your BPs to DOH, but your bags should be tagged all the way through. You can ask the transfer desk at KUL or at the gate to print them out. I'll advise you do this anyway because QR is not the best when handling with BPs printed from other airlines and mobile BPs. All my experience with QR's mobile BPs is that they will print paper ones for you at the gate anyway. It's also safer for you to show your baggage tag to the agent at transfer desk or gate when boarding to make sure they got your bag transferred correctly.

There's no transit security in KUL as it's done at the departure gate so if BKK agents can't print one for your next flight you can still stay airside no problem. MH lounges should be ok with mobile BPs. If you were to use Plaza Premium First offered by QR, then you may need a paper lounge invitation from the transfer desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.