FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Baggage allowance for OneWorld [elite] members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1995512-baggage-allowance-oneworld-elite-members.html)

jah718 Nov 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Baggage allowance for OneWorld [elite] members

Hi all,

I am booking a flight from SIN - KUL and have decided to book business as I need to take a lot of checked in luggage. I am a OneWorld Sapphire member on Qatar Airways.

It says my baggage allowance is 40KG and then on Enrich website, it says I can take 50% above my baggage allowance, so that would be 60KG. However, it says elsewhere that this only applies to Enrich members, and that OWS members of other airlines have a different entitlement. Can anyone advise on this?

Also, is there a restriction on number pieces? Can I take 3 X 20KG bags?

Thanks!

MSPeconomist Nov 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Mere FF program membership won't get perks, including extra baggage allowance, but often elite status will.

Mwenenzi Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jah718 (Post 31738215)
However, it says elsewhere that this only applies to Enrich members, and that OWS members of other airlines have a different entitlement.

Airlines can offer more benefits to its own ff members, over the OW alliance benefits

As for number of bags vs weight look the ticket t&c's. Some airlines/tickets are a weight basis and others a piece basis. Phone the airline to check
Look here https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits [down the bottom of the page:click sapphire]

<snip>
***Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy baggage allowance.
  • On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
  • On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will, in most cases, receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance.

Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways’ 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight.
**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.
SIN-KUL is a very short flight.
May be worth looking at other airlines to check the over all price with all your bags. Or go by road

jah718 Nov 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31738225)
Mere FF program membership won't get perks, including extra baggage allowance, but often elite status will.

I know this, and that is why I said I was OneWorld Sapphire. I know I get additional baggage allowance, I was looking for the specifics for MH.

MSPeconomist Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jah718 (Post 31738332)
I know this, and that is why I said I was OneWorld Sapphire. I know I get additional baggage allowance, I was looking for the specifics for MH.

Your original thread title said oneworld members. I asked a moderator to add the word elite to the thread title to clarify.

jah718 Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31738250)
Airlines can offer more benefits to its own ff members, over the OW alliance benefits

As for number of bags vs weight look the ticket t&c's. Some airlines/tickets are a weight basis and others a piece basis. Phone the airline to check
Look here https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits [down the bottom of the page:click sapphire]

SIN-KUL is a very short flight.
May be worth looking at other airlines to check the over all price with all your bags. Or go by road

It would seem based on this, that it would be a 15KG additional baggage allowance. Fare rules on the specific ticket don't give any specifics unfortunately.

I have looked at Air Asia and JetStar, but on both it seems the maximum checked weight is 40KG. Going by road isn't really an option for me due to arrival time and need to be in KUL at a certain time.

jah718 Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31738354)
Your original thread title said oneworld members. I asked a moderator to add the word elite to the thread title to clarify.

Ok, I think people normally read the text of the post as well. This was also specifically posted in the MH forum, so I was really looking for advice from people who have knowledge of the MH system and recent experience of the rules.

dici Nov 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I am booking a flight from SIN - KUL and have decided to book business as I need to take a lot of checked in luggage. I am a OneWorld Sapphire member on Qatar Airways.

It says my baggage allowance is 40KG and then on Enrich website, it says I can take 50% above my baggage allowance, so that would be 60KG. However, it says elsewhere that this only applies to Enrich members, and that OWS members of other airlines have a different entitlement. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks!

there is no number of luggage limit for MH flights, you can check in as many as you like with the condition of the total weight is less than the allowance, and each pieces is less than 32kg

Zawnet Nov 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi all,

Thanks!

Yup, your entitlement with the OWS status shall be 60kg. And no limit on number of pieces as long as no one single piece is more than 32kg.

wantan Nov 15, 2019 1:01 am

Hi all,

Thanks!

Despite the replies, I think there hasn't been an answer to your question yet ?

OWS (non-Enrich) on MH flights get 15kg on top of the standard baggage allowance. So your total will be 55kg (40kg Busniess + 15kg OWS) .

FAQ

jah718 Nov 15, 2019 2:00 am

Originally Posted by wantan (Post 31738945)
Despite the replies, I think there hasn't been an answer to your question yet ?

OWS (non-Enrich) on MH flights get 15kg on top of the standard baggage allowance. So your total will be 55kg (40kg Busniess + 15kg OWS) .

FAQ

Thanks so much. I eventually contacted MH and they have confirmed what you have said. Disappointing that they treat Enrich differently to other OWS, in my experience, for baggage allowance, it is normally the same?

Not ideal. I am coming off a BA flight which will allow me 64kg, so looks like I will need to add extra baggage!

d00t Nov 15, 2019 2:50 am

Originally Posted by jah718 (Post 31739030)
Thanks so much. I eventually contacted MH and they have confirmed what you have said. Disappointing that they treat Enrich differently to other OWS, in my experience, for baggage allowance, it is normally the same?

Not ideal. I am coming off a BA flight which will allow me 64kg, so looks like I will need to add extra baggage!

It might be cheaper to buy multiple seats rather than pay ludicrous excess baggage fees.

Additionally, if you are on ONE TICKET ex-LHR on BA (or you can convince BA to check-through your bags on multiple PNRs which they can do but may be reluctant) - your baggage will be under the BA baggage policy. MH won't have any say, nor will you be hit up for additional BS fees from MH.

fotographer Nov 15, 2019 4:51 am

Originally Posted by jah718 (Post 31739030)

please not take this as being rude or anything.. just wondering , since I myself dont check bags myself.. what are you carrying?

hahaboy123 Nov 16, 2019 12:53 pm

It is understandable that airlines treating own ffp elite member better than other airline’s ffp elite member..

In your case, you can reckon that indeed MAS treats enrich gold better than non-enrich OWS member.

However, thing reverses when it comes to domestic/economy flight...
For 0-luggage-allowance domestic flight ticket, non-enrich OWS is still entitled to get 15kg check-in luggage allowance, however, enrich gold member merely gets 10kg (if i remember correctly)...
For international economy promo flight ticket, OWS member is entitled to check-in 20+15kg, whereas enrich gold only gets 20+10kg

This is how their logic works...

Guy Betsy Nov 18, 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by hahaboy123 (Post 31743994)
It is understandable that airlines treating own ffp elite member better than other airline’s ffp elite member..

In your case, you can reckon that indeed MAS treats enrich gold better than non-enrich OWS member.

However, thing reverses when it comes to domestic/economy flight...
For 0-luggage-allowance domestic flight ticket, non-enrich OWS is still entitled to get 15kg check-in luggage allowance, however, enrich gold member merely gets 10kg (if i remember correctly)...
For international economy promo flight ticket, OWS member is entitled to check-in 20+15kg, whereas enrich gold only gets 20+10kg

This is how their logic works...

I think someone made an error in assuming who gets what. Supposed to be Enrich Gold gets the same as Sapphire. As Enrich Platinum gets the same as OW Emerald. But at least you get 5kg allowance on zero allowance domestic fares as Enrich Silver. You get zilch as OW Ruby.