MH : Mileage run best domestic routes

Old Nov 12, 19, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

MH : Mileage run best domestic routes

Hello fellow frequent flyers.

My tier at QR is expiring soon and I will not have the opportunity to fly QR enough to retain it before expiration.

However since I currently am in Indonesia but cannot leave the country for extended periods of time (more than 24h), I thought of going for a couple mileage runs over the next weeks. This will be my first time with MH and I am excited to try it out!

Ideally, my itinerary would be something like Indonesia-Malaysia-As many domestics flights as possible-Indonesia.

When it comes to domestic flights, what routes have the best cost per mile?

What are the little extras and goodies I will get as a fellow One World frequent flier (emerald)?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: Enrich
Some questions

1. You would like to retain your status on QPRC or getting a status on MH FF? At the moment I might say remains at QPRC might be better since MH enrich has a fix mileage year which is from Jan to Dec

2. How many points needed and will you able to fly on J class? Or only economy.

.3. Possible to do like cross island trip? such as from Jawa to sumatera, back and forth?

If you can do this during weekend, a round trip like KNO to KUL to CGK will give you 80 qpoints in J class, or 24 to 34 qpoints in Y. Round trip between KUL and CGK gice you 48 qpoints in J or 14 to 20 qpoints in Y.

there's are multiple flight between KUL and CGK, so mostly you could done the round trip flight in a day if focus on this route
mrosenzw likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: NZ
I would choose sectors where there are many daily flights like KUL/PEN and KUL/LGK (LGK is a higher Qpoints earner)
Where in Indonesia are you? Does MH serve that place?
How many Qpoints do you need?
Will you meet the requirement to have earned at least 20% of your Qpoints or have flown 4 sectors on QR?
mrosenzw likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Choose PEN and JHB for short flights and good prices. LGK indeed good for earning rates.

As OWE at least you can visit the lounges in PEN and KCH although they're very mediocre and of course KUL (only decent lounge, though domestic is dry).
PEN does have beer though (you need to ask the guy near the kitchen).
mrosenzw likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
I would choose sectors where there are many daily flights like KUL/PEN and KUL/LGK (LGK is a higher Qpoints earner)
Where in Indonesia are you? Does MH serve that place?
How many Qpoints do you need?
Will you meet the requirement to have earned at least 20% of your Qpoints or have flown 4 sectors on QR?
Thank you so much. I am based in Jakarta, so no big worries and still got until the end of January to complete my mileage runs. 90QPoints needed to retain platinum but the ones I've earned this year have all been on QR flights ; this won't be an issue. I will look into PEN and LGK then. If flying in eco cabin, I need to make sure the fare class is L, S, V or above, is that right? And flights not operated by MH (such as Maswings or Firefly) won't get me any QPoints, will they?

Sorry for the "beginner" questions, I am usually only flying with OW

Originally Posted by dici View Post
Some questions

1. You would like to retain your status on QPRC or getting a status on MH FF? At the moment I might say remains at QPRC might be better since MH enrich has a fix mileage year which is from Jan to Dec

2. How many points needed and will you able to fly on J class? Or only economy.

.3. Possible to do like cross island trip? such as from Jawa to sumatera, back and forth?

If you can do this during weekend, a round trip like KNO to KUL to CGK will give you 80 qpoints in J class, or 24 to 34 qpoints in Y. Round trip between KUL and CGK gice you 48 qpoints in J or 14 to 20 qpoints in Y.

there's are multiple flight between KUL and CGK, so mostly you could done the round trip flight in a day if focus on this route
1. I wish to retain my status at QRPC
2. 90 Qpoints and I'd rather fly Y class given the prices I've seen when looking up. 24 to 34 points at once is not bad at all and I'll use some domestic airline to get to KNO
3. Not an issue at all, if you've got some better ideas (since I'm based in Jawa), I'm all ears

Thank you!

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
Choose PEN and JHB for short flights and good prices. LGK indeed good for earning rates.

As OWE at least you can visit the lounges in PEN and KCH although they're very mediocre and of course KUL (only decent lounge, though domestic is dry).
PEN does have beer though (you need to ask the guy near the kitchen).
Thank you! I will look into these destinations (under the constraint of the fare classes). How about seat choice for free?

@all : do you guys have any better tool than matrix ita or some special hacks to find even better combinations with MH?
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:28 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by mrosenzw View Post
Thank you so much. I am based in Jakarta, so no big worries and still got until the end of January to complete my mileage runs. 90QPoints needed to retain platinum but the ones I've earned this year have all been on QR flights ; this won't be an issue. I will look into PEN and LGK then. If flying in eco cabin, I need to make sure the fare class is L, S, V or above, is that right? And flights not operated by MH (such as Maswings or Firefly) won't get me any QPoints, will they?

Sorry for the "beginner" questions, I am usually only flying with OW

1. I wish to retain my status at QRPC
2. 90 Qpoints and I'd rather fly Y class given the prices I've seen when looking up. 24 to 34 points at once is not bad at all and I'll use some domestic airline to get to KNO
3. Not an issue at all, if you've got some better ideas (since I'm based in Jawa), I'm all ears

Thank you!

Thank you! I will look into these destinations (under the constraint of the fare classes). How about seat choice for free?

@all : do you guys have any better tool than matrix ita or some special hacks to find even better combinations with MH?
The earning rate in the lowest booking classes offering Qpoint earnings (L, S, V) is very low and you would need to do many trips to get 90 Qpoints. For example the Qpoint earn rate for KUL/LGK/KUL is:

Business (C,D,J,Z) 24
Economy (B,H,Y) 20
Economy (K,M) 14
Economy (L,S,V) 10

I would definitely compare the Y fares with the J fares as you may find that it is cheaper to do fewer trips in J to get your 90 Qpoints.

No free seat selection in Y on MH.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: Enrich
actually if you pay full fare economy, aka economy flex, then you have free seat selection in Y
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:07 am

Actually I'm curious why OP can't leave Indonesia for more than 24 hours!
SKT-DK likes this.

Search this Thread