FAA Downgrades Malaysia Safety Rating

Old Nov 11, 19, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, LATAM*Black
FAA Downgrades Malaysia Safety Rating

From OMAAT
The US Federal Aviation Administration has just downgraded Malaysia’s aviation safety rating, from a Category 1 to a Category 2.
This means air carriers from that country:
  • Cannot initiate new service to the United States
  • Are restricted to current levels of any existing service to the US while corrective actions are underway
  • Can’t codeshare with US air carriers
  • If the airline flies to the US, they’ll be subjected to additional inspections
Malaysia is now an FAA Category 2 country, joining Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Curacao, Ghana, and Thailand, all of which also have Category 2 ratings. There aren’t huge implications to this, though I imagine the country is going to try to do the work necessary to get back to a Category 1 rating.
Thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 19, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This seems to apply to the country of Malaysia and all of its airlines, not the airline MH specifically. In particular, IIRC there are some Malaysia based LCCs/ULCCs in addition to the "flagship" full service legacy carrier MH (which seems to be the only one likely to ever try to fly to the USA or codeshare/interline with USA carriers, so as a practical matter, MH will be most impacted).
Old Nov 11, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: Enrich
Actually, Air Asia has KUL to Honolulu via Kansai schedule flight.

I believe it could be due to IT down time recently, and how mess is KLIA 2 it is....it could also due to the fact that some international wanted criminal is able to slip thru KLIA immigration in the past.

I was recalled I had read some report that, the overall score of safety rating is not high for Malaysia, although still higher than Thai, previously. It just once they lost a few percentage then the category will be downgraded right away
Old Nov 11, 19, 8:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

On one hand indeed they deserve this with all the news that I've read since the past few months related to aviation in the country and the different security breaches and happenings - the worst was being able to kill someone while at the airport - the Kim story, how many extremist entering the country, money laundering, etc.

Hope this downgrade will wake up both the airport operators and the government to improve standards especially with already the whole Alitalia-like soap opera going around MH.

Cheers!
Old Nov 11, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
And I quote from the FAA website:

An IASA assessment determines if the foreign CAA provides oversight to its carriers that operate to the United States according to international standards. The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a United Nations agency, and Annexes 1, 6, and 8 of the Chicago Convention develop those standards.

If the CAA does not meet standards, FAA gives that CAA a Category 2 rating.
Therefore, it's not a judgement on any airlines, but on whether the Malaysian CAA provides sufficient oversight... What category does that make the FAA?
Old Nov 11, 19, 9:47 am

Just curious, which carriers under the CAAM’s oversight fly to the US? Does this cover any airline flying into Malaysia, or just those based on MY?

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 11, 19 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:31 am

I’m sure a few 737 Max orders will fix everything.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack View Post
Just curious, which carriers under the CAAM’s oversight fly to the US? Does this cover any airline flying into Malaysia, or just those based on MY?
AirAsia X which flies to HNL daily via KIX

not sure how this affects,say, the Fedex daily flights to KUL and PEN
crackjack likes this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi,

On one hand indeed they deserve this with all the news that I've read since the past few months related to aviation in the country and the different security breaches and happenings - the worst was being able to kill someone while at the airport - the Kim story, how many extremist entering the country, money laundering, etc.

Hope this downgrade will wake up both the airport operators and the government to improve standards especially with already the whole Alitalia-like soap opera going around MH.

Cheers!
the “Kim story” occurred in the landside public area, using a piece of cloth and some small doses of liquid-based lethal nerve agent, probably specially imported from N Korea. It could have occurred in a mall anywhere as one does not get frisked when entering malls or airport terminals. So please dont exaggerate - it is unrelated to aviation apart from where the incident occurred.
Old Nov 11, 19, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by poromenos View Post
From OMAAT

Thoughts?
I dont think this will change much in Malaysia, only if EU follows suit will there be a lot more effort to comply.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread