Short connection separate PNRs

Old Nov 10, 19, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC 50K Elite, Delta Gold
Short connection separate PNRs

Flying December 29th, BLR-KUL and KUL-PER

MH105 Arrives in KUL @ 1845 and MH127 KUL-PER departs at 1950.

Flights are on separate PNRs, and we are checking in luggage.

MH105 is basic economy and MH127 is in Business. We are both OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold).

Based on this I have some questions for you expert folk who transit through KUL on MH:

1. What happens if MH105 goes late? Will they reroute to get us to PER and if required put us up overnight?
2. What’s the likelihood of bags making the connection if things run late?
3. I am assuming that they will through check bags? And will they tag them as priority for OWEs at BLR?

Both MH105 and MH127 seem to have poor on time performance from stats for the last couple of weeks.
Old Nov 10, 19, 10:03 am

1. No, no obligation. you would be a no-show.
Question on missed connection 2 separate tickets
Still, if you’re at the front and off the plane quick, shouldn’t take more than 15mins from door opening in the Main Building to the new gate in the Satellire Terminal.

2. Depends on how late. They can rush, but if <40mins, can be a concern. Still, as it’d check through, MH would need to manage it for you at Perth.

3. Yes
Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

MH105 seems to have had issues only in the last 7 days. Before that, seemed to have been mostly on time.

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 10, 19 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC 50K Elite, Delta Gold
Thanks for the feedback.

Called MH - they said they will rebook if I miss the connection as both flights are MH. Under their general conditions of carriage they are only under no obligation to rebook if I connected from a non-MH flight.
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:59 am

Programs: Enrich
I have the experience where I booked separate ticket and they have a flight retime on one of the ticket which result I could miss the other one. One call and they rebook my other flight without issue.

But did not know that they would also do this if you miss the other flight due to delay of arrival ( not due to retiming) of previous flight
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:46 am

If you have been told otherwise, you can always plead your case with the transit desk officer if needed.

My only experience (thankfully) is not quite the same: I came off a 2hr+ delayed flight from LHR and missed my separately-purchased MH-coded/-ticketed SilkAir flight. I had to pay an additional fee (think ~MYR300?) to be put onto an MH flight ~3hrs later.

Granted, I had not been checked into the Silkair flight, but it was an MH ticket and the no-show was caused by the earlier MH flight’s delay.

As referenced in the link I shared, others appear to have a similar view as mine.

Of course, best option is to hustle if required and avoid all the additional hassle.

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 13, 19 at 5:40 am
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:55 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Foofighter69 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Called MH - they said they will rebook if I miss the connection as both flights are MH. Under their general conditions of carriage they are only under no obligation to rebook if I connected from a non-MH flight.
Unless the phone agent who gave you that answer is also working the ticket counter at KUL that day, I would not rely on that advice. A separate tickets transfer -- which is not a connection -- leaves you at the discretionary whims of airport staff...and they tend to exercise less discretion in the customer's favor nowadays.

If you're not ready to eat the cost of new onward tickets (which for a last minute holiday period journey will be expensive) you're not ready to take those flights as booked.
crackjack likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Please note that the BLR flight will be coming into the main terminal and you have to run and grab the aerotrain to the C gates in the satellite terminal. Hope that you aren't too late.

Search this Thread