Neighbour Free Seat

Old Nov 2, 19, 7:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ QPPS, QR Burgundy, AF Ivory
Posts: 365
Neighbour Free Seat

It's a new product that seems to have been quietly introduced last week. Allows you to buy a neighbouring seat or an entire row in economy three days before departure. https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...t-unveils.html

I don't have any MH flights in Y coming up until Feb 2020, so if anyone has tried it, would love to hear how much MH is charging for this. The option is available under "My Trip" on the website; can't find it on the app.
cowie is offline  
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1A
Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Posts: 1,813
And just like that - Platinum/Emerald members lose another benefit of shadows.
d00t is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
And just like that - Platinum/Emerald members lose another benefit of shadows.
This was and probably has never been a benefit on MH. On some carriers yes, but not on MH..
quinzinho is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1A
Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Posts: 1,813
Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
This was and probably has never been a benefit on MH. On some carriers yes, but not on MH..
It has been a benefit, just never publically stated.
nancypants likes this.
d00t is offline  
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
It has been a benefit, just never publically stated.
And when was this?
I've enquired about it several times. Nobody ever heard of it.
quinzinho is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1A
Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Posts: 1,813
Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
And when was this?
I've enquired about it several times. Nobody ever heard of it.
Years and years ago.

Most people at MH don't know .... about the loyalty program. It's a shame.
d00t is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 1:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GUM
Programs: MH & UA Plat 0MM, WoH Globalist, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
And just like that - Platinum/Emerald members lose another benefit of shadows.
Just because they monetize it doesnít mean it can no longer be offered. Standard seat selection for example.

Iím actually more interested in the benefits of Platinum that arenít guaranteed in writing, since Iíve never really seen it mentioned on here or anywhere tbh. Maybe itís on a Malay forum?
nancypants likes this.
ALGU is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:58 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1A
Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Posts: 1,813
Originally Posted by ALGU View Post
Just because they monetize it doesnít mean it can no longer be offered. Standard seat selection for example.

Iím actually more interested in the benefits of Platinum that arenít guaranteed in writing, since Iíve never really seen it mentioned on here or anywhere tbh. Maybe itís on a Malay forum?
Only Platinum can select standard seats.
Almost every other premium airline in the world the mid-tier members can select a seat for no additional charge. I'm over 9000% sure this will cost more in customer attrition from Silver/Gold members than it generates in ancillary revenue.

A few benefits I've seen:-
- Anytime Golden Lounge access
- Soft block of the seat next to you in econ if <80% load
- Increased miles compensation above other membership levels
- The top priority during disruption
- Some fees waived
- Free upgrade to biz suites if on full C/J class booking
- Platinum Plus [above platinum] get access to the old smoking room at KLIA F lounge
d00t is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:53 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GUM
Programs: MH & UA Plat 0MM, WoH Globalist, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
A few benefits I've seen:-
- Anytime Golden Lounge access
- Soft block of the seat next to you in econ if <80% load
- Increased miles compensation above other membership levels
- The top priority during disruption
- Some fees waived
- Free upgrade to biz suites if on full C/J class booking
- Platinum Plus [above platinum] get access to the old smoking room at KLIA F lounge
Appreciate the reply. A few questions.

Anytime Golden Lounge access
-Does this also apply to non-OW flights? It seems arrival access when traveling on OW applies to more than just Platinum members vs SQ where this benefit is only explicitly extended to PPS.
Soft block of the seat next to you in econ if <80% load
-Does this need to be requested or automatic?
Some fees waived
-Some examples? Would like to know when to utilize this!
Platinum Plus [above platinum] get access to the old smoking room at KLIA F lounge
-Do they extend this automatically or must be requested? My understanding is Platinum Plus has the same requirements as Platinum, but only flights in C/F count (MH only?). Is there way to find out if you've made Platinum Plus?
ALGU is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 10:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: A3*Gold, LATAM*Black
Posts: 70
Does the Anytime Golden lounge access apply for OWE as well? So can someone in theory use the gold lounge as an arrivals lounge (even when flying in Y with MH?)
poromenos is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 700
No. This is a published benefit which explicitly states it is for Enrich members, does not state OWS / OWE. Itís linked via the wiki here too:
Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA (Post Renovations)

While the lounge personnel potentially may make decisions not always aligned to policy, my experience in the handful of times I as an OWE have stopped in as an arrivals passenger on a J flight has been that they give me access to the J side of the lounge. Iíve never tried as an arriving Y passenger, but expect the same principle would apply - i.e. OW status would not help.
poromenos likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 15, 19 at 1:29 pm
crackjack is offline  
Old Nov 16, 19, 3:19 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ QPPS, QR Burgundy, AF Ivory
Posts: 365
This thread is going way way off topic...
cowie is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 2:27 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 5
Saw this promotion recently when checking in as well.

Was also told during counter check in on a recent long haul flight that I could block the seat next to me if I wanted to (for free). Am OW Sapphire so that might have helped.
cowie likes this.
mhflyer777 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,191
Not exactly buying a free seat, but yesterday I was doing OLCI in for two persons on MH, each on a separate PNR.

One of them is OW Emerald (BA Gold) and once I selected his Y seat, the seat next to it was automatically blocked and I could not put the second passenger next to it. Looks like MH automatically keeps a free Y seat next to OW Emerald?
bchang likes this.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Dec 17, 19, 2:16 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Not exactly buying a free seat, but yesterday I was doing OLCI in for two persons on MH, each on a separate PNR.

One of them is OW Emerald (BA Gold) and once I selected his Y seat, the seat next to it was automatically blocked and I could not put the second passenger next to it. Looks like MH automatically keeps a free Y seat next to OW Emerald?
This was also my experience. It was an almost full flight (only 3-4 empty seats in Y).
bchang is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: