Search

Rookie question re/ MH LHR Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Rookie question re/ MH LHR Lounge

Hi All

Please apologise my MH first time flyer question - I saw yesterday that MH starts to check in -4hrs before departure at LHR.

As my wife and myself normally spend quite a bit of time at the airport before we go on holiday (isn't it the best time just before the whole thing starts ) I am wondering if the MH lounge is actually worth a visit - do they serve Champagne? We'll be flying in (premium) Y but my OW status should allow us in. Does the lounge have some nice seating/ apron view?

How full would the lounge expect on a Tuesday at about 6pm? I guess many OW customers travelling w/ QR go there if they don't fly in J? Any better OW lounge at T4?

Unfortunately I am quite a noob when it comes to T4 (only use it for QR flights - then I go naturally to the QR lounge and thats maybe twice a year) so thanks for your advice.

D

Last edited by Duck1981; Aug 17, 2019 at 4:53 am Reason: add question
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have only used the lounge in the morning but it was fine and pretty sure there was an apron view but don't remember if they had champagne - I was more interested in some Malaysian breakfast

I have not used but the nearby Qatar lounge gets very good feedback
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:48 am

The MH lounge has some of the best views of any lounge in T4 - better than QR's.You will have views of the T4 main apron and the action on the southern runway and most of the other terminals in the far distance.

But your choices for a OW lounge at T4 is limited to just MH, unless you are flying in J or J+ - which allows access to the QR lounge.

Btw, nit picking but there is no such thing as a premium Y on MH - what you have are just extra-legroom Y seats on MH.
nancypants and Duck1981 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At KUL, the business class section of the international MH lounge has a bar area, but at times one must find a staff member to ask for a glass of wine. I would expect a similar arrangement for a MH lounge at LHR. I wouldn't be optimistic about the champagne as I didn't see any at their home hub.

Among those who know, I would expect that premium cabin passengers go to the QR lounge while those accessing the lounge on the basis of elite status go to the MH lounge. I would also expect airline check in agents to encourage their premium cabin guests and other CIPs to use the QR rather than MH lounge if eligible for both.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At KUL, the business class section of the international MH lounge has a bar area, but at times one must find a staff member to ask for a glass of wine. I would expect a similar arrangement for a MH lounge at LHR. I wouldn't be optimistic about the champagne as I didn't see any at their home hub.

Among those who know, I would expect that premium cabin passengers go to the QR lounge while those accessing the lounge on the basis of elite status go to the MH lounge. I would also expect airline check in agents to encourage their premium cabin guests and other CIPs to use the QR rather than MH lounge if eligible for both.
Thanks - I thought the QR lounge in London is (similar to the one in Doha) only for QR ticketed customers only and OWS/Emerald wouldn't allow you to come in?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Thanks - I thought the QR lounge in London is (similar to the one in Doha) only for QR ticketed customers only and OWS/Emerald wouldn't allow you to come in?
I'm guessing that some partner premium cabin passengers can enter, but this would probably be a matter of individual contracts between airlines rather than a designation as a oneworld lounge.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:04 pm

As mentioned, if you are flying MH in J or J+, you will have access to the QR lounge.
But I find the J+/ First side of the MH lounge to a bit more intimate and have better service (including food from a menu) than the QR lounge.
Of late, the food at the QR lounge seems to have gone downhill and appear to be reheated rather than prepared specifically for you.

Also, I believe those flying Y on QR but have OW status will be given invitations to the AF lounge at the other side of the terminal.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'm not sure about the LHR lounge, but presumably, you can get a glass of champagne in the Platinum side of the lounge (OWE) by requesting one from a server, like what they do in KUL. Don't expect anything special though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I have been to this lounge when flying QR Y. The First side is really good. It's relatively small, but there is a manned bar, as well as an a la carte dining menu. The views are great, and when I was there it was very empty. At its most busy there were 5 of us in the F side. And yes, champagne is available.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by jackr27
I have been to this lounge when flying QR Y. The First side is really good. It's relatively small, but there is a manned bar, as well as an a la carte dining menu. The views are great, and when I was there it was very empty. At its most busy there were 5 of us in the F side. And yes, champagne is available.
I was very disappointed with the F lounge at Heathrow slightly better choice of food (I did not compare brands of alcohol available) and I have to say that the whole Business suite offering on MAS is not worth much of a premium unless you really value a bit more space and privacy - I was more than comfortable and happy in Business
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jackr27
Do agree with you - I last visited mid last year and I guess depending on the time, there is a couple of staff there (non-MH) which are really sweet and dedicated.
For me the best of this lounge compared to the QR premium lounge is 1) view from the lounge 2) staff 3) not too crowded 4) F&B
I am wondering - did they touch up the lounge recently - I was told during my last visit that they were planning for a refresh beginning of this year.

Cheers!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Quick update:

Went to the lounge, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Food was much better than in any Galleries lounge and we really enjoyed the view

Also happy with friendliness of staff and the Prosecco in the Business section was more than drinkable...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, HH Gold, BonVoy Gold, Best Western Diamond, Oman Air Sinbad Gold
No. There is no champagne. (I presumed you are talking about Kul satellite). Sparkling wine, and you need to go to a separate sports bar where you have to queue up for drinks. There is a seating area overlooking the apron. Should you OW status is platinum, you could visit the first class lounge instead.
How full it is will depends on the number of flights departing.
For terminal 4, there is other OW lounges. You could try Qatar which is quite good (need to fly business and have at least OW emerald).
Cheers and have a good flight.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lipingkok
No. There is no champagne. (I presumed you are talking about Kul satellite). Sparkling wine, and you need to go to a separate sports bar where you have to queue up for drinks. There is a seating area overlooking the apron. Should you OW status is platinum, you could visit the first class lounge instead.
How full it is will depends on the number of flights departing.
For terminal 4, there is other OW lounges. You could try Qatar which is quite good (need to fly business and have at least OW emerald).
Cheers and have a good flight.
The OP is talking about the LHR lounge, as they have written in the title. Also, KUL Satellite does in fact have Champagne, but only on the Platinum/Business Suite side. You get it by requesting it from the Lounge Attendant. They usually serve de Venoge Cordon Bleu or otherwise some Drappier Carte d'Or at KUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.