Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Newbie to Malaysia Enrich Needs Booking Assistance

Newbie to Malaysia Enrich Needs Booking Assistance

Reply

Old Jun 12, 19, 8:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,085
Newbie to Malaysia Enrich Needs Booking Assistance

How do you search for award availability on Malaysia Enrich?? Do you have to have miles in your account in order to do so?

I just joined their frequent flyer program last night and logged in today. I selected the "miles & cash" option when searching for a flight (KUL-TPE), but the results came up only in cash (MYR). I was hoping to see the price of my desired flight shown in miles, so that I could purchase the miles (if the price is right) and book my flight. You can do this with many other airlines, but apparently not with MH.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
joer1212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Enrich Silver (OWR), Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
Posts: 1,988
Lightbulb One needs to have available Enrich points


One does need to have Enrich Miles in order to see redemption as Malaysia airlines doesn't have capacity control on using award miles which one can redeem as long as there are seats available for Economy "Smart fare" and above" and Business "Flex fare"
Danial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:27 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,085
Originally Posted by Danial View Post

One does need to have Enrich Miles in order to see redemption as Malaysia airlines doesn't have capacity control on using award miles which one can redeem as long as there are seats available for Economy "Smart fare" and above" and Business "Flex fare"
Great, so I'll never know how many miles I'll need (and the cost) for an award, or even if one is available??
If I purchase a minimum number of miles, will that give me access to the award search function, or do I have to have the total number of miles required for the award first?

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 12, 19 at 8:49 pm
joer1212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: SQ Gold, MH Gold
Posts: 1,764
Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
Great, so I'll never know how many miles I'll need (and the cost) for an award, or even if one is available??
If I purchase a minimum number of miles, will that give me access to the award search function, or do I have to have the total number of miles required for the award first?
You are correct. There is no way to tell how many miles you require for a flight until you search for it.
Also when searching use "Miles" and NOT "Cash + Miles". The reason is "Miles" will be cheaper overall than "Cash + Miles".
Enrich Miles redemptions book into revenue fare classes except for the super cheap ones and the super expensive ones. However note that if you use ANY component of miles towards a booking, it will not earn any Enrich Miles or Elite Miles.

Frankly, my advice is if you're a new member and you have the intention to save up miles for a flight - there are other more transparent and cheaper airline loyalty programs available.

Enrich has some of the most expensive redemptions in the world. The trade-off is that there is often more availability in exchange for the higher miles cost.
Oneworld redemptions through Enrich are ludicrously high. Don't bother with these.

You don't need any miles to search and see how many miles a flight will cost. Just use the "Miles" radio input.
d00t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:40 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,085
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
You don't need any miles to search and see how many miles a flight will cost. Just use the "Miles" radio input.
But, there is no option to select "Miles"! The only options are "Card / Cash" and "Miles + Cash" (on the upper left of the screen). But, even when I select "Miles + Cash" the search results are shown in cash only. I have yet to see my search results come up in miles at all.

I think Danial is right. You have to have miles in your account in order to even search for award availability in miles. That's a pretty poor system Malaysia set up, as it forces you to spend money before you even know if your desired flight is available for an award!

If I purchase just 1,000 miles, will this allow me to search for awards (in miles)?

If not, I'm just going to purchase my flight on Expedia (or other agency) with cash.
If I do this, will Expedia give me a confirmation code that allows me to select my seat on Malaysia's website? If I can't select my seat, I'll just go with another carrier.

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 13, 19 at 7:20 am
joer1212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: MH, AC, AS
Posts: 1,593
Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
But, there is no option to select "Miles"! The only options are "Card / Cash" and "Miles + Cash" (on the upper left of the screen). But, even when I select "Miles + Cash" the search results are shown in cash only. I have yet to see my search results come up in miles at all.

I think Danial is right. You have to have miles in your account in order to even search for award availability in miles. That's a pretty poor system Malaysia set up, as it forces you to spend money before you even know if your desired flight is available for an award!

If I purchase just 1,000 miles, will this allow me to search for awards (in miles)?
Cash+miles lets you offset the fare with miles. The option only presents itself towards the end at the payment page, where you can select your desired combination from a slider.

Note that you won’t be given that option if you select the lowest fare classes in Economy and Business (off the top of my head S/N/Q/O/Z) which are unavailable for redemption, whether outright or partial.
SilverChris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:44 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: SQ Gold, MH Gold
Posts: 1,764
Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
But, there is no option to select "Miles"! The only options are "Card / Cash" and "Miles + Cash" (on the upper left of the screen). But, even when I select "Miles + Cash" the search results are shown in cash only. I have yet to see my search results come up in miles at all.

I think Danial is right. You have to have miles in your account in order to even search for award availability in miles. That's a pretty poor system Malaysia set up, as it forces you to spend money before you even know if your desired flight is available for an award!

If I purchase just 1,000 miles, will this allow me to search for awards (in miles)?

If not, I'm just going to purchase my flight on Expedia (or other agency) with cash.
If I do this, will Expedia give me a confirmation code that allows me to select my seat on Malaysia's website? If I can't select my seat, I'll just go with another carrier.
Looks like a recent change to the MH website removing full Miles option.
Quite honestly that's yet another devaluation to the miles.

I'll save you the time and tell you from my searches it appears that domestic Malaysia 1 Mile appears to be around MYR 0.025 of value.

Only Oneworld Emerald, full Y class and Business/Business Suite pax can select a seat.
Everyone else has to pay for seat selection.
d00t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 19, 9:24 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,085
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
Cash+miles lets you offset the fare with miles. The option only presents itself towards the end at the payment page, where you can select your desired combination from a slider.

Note that you won’t be given that option if you select the lowest fare classes in Economy and Business (off the top of my head S/N/Q/O/Z) which are unavailable for redemption, whether outright or partial.
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
Looks like a recent change to the MH website removing full Miles option.
Quite honestly that's yet another devaluation to the miles.

I'll save you the time and tell you from my searches it appears that domestic Malaysia 1 Mile appears to be around MYR 0.025 of value.

Only Oneworld Emerald, full Y class and Business/Business Suite pax can select a seat.
Everyone else has to pay for seat selection.
I made a bold move and actually purchased my flight (KUL-TPE in Business) for 1,818.00 MYR (about $436) on Malyasia's website. I didn't want to bother with figuring out how to buy miles. Hopefully, I got the best possible deal. I doubt I could have done better.
d00t likes this.
joer1212 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread