Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a legal itinerary? Cabotage?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 2:13 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've travelled to Medan from Denpasar then back to Jakarta with MH a couple of tmes. The attraction is not only the fare, but the four sets of tier points to my BA account AND the opportunity to break the journey in KL.

Garuda prices are bonkers: Medan Jakarta prices are bonkers on all Indonesian carriers. I guess they are responding to increased demand with higher prices rather than increasing capacity. So it's great that MH (and SQ?) can step in to take up some slack

The first time I had mild concern about a puzzled reception from KNO immigration. But he didn't bat an eyelid.
Ahhh thanks IAN-UK! That's actually quite helpful of an answer!
Old May 28, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Ahhh thanks IAN-UK! That's actually quite helpful of an answer!
But be warned, it (or the low-fare version of "it") doesn't always show up.

And I think if you're heading for KNO, the midday flight from DPS arrives too late for an MH connection, so it's an enforced sleep-over: a bit of a drag if you don't want to see the bright lights of KL

I'm not sure in SIN fits into the pattern, but JHB certainly does. And Penang.

I did DPS KUL//KUL CGK a week or so back in business-class for just a little more than buying separate tickets on Air Asia.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If they have 5th freedom then they can sell via their home country. It is on ward destination. In this case they can openly say from the departure point to the destination via the home country. If no 5th they still can do via the home but would probably do different flight numbers and may require a separate boarding card too.
It is perfectly legal.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Glad I found this thread, I was about to book SUB-KUL-KNO on a single ticket and was a bit nervous.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Glad I found this thread, I was about to book SUB-KUL-KNO on a single ticket and was a bit nervous.
how did it turned out? really interested because as a local I'm really getting tired of these domestic pricings
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by blueferrari
how did it turned out? really interested because as a local I'm really getting tired of these domestic pricings
It ticketed fine, i'm flying it next week so I will let you know. I'm local as well, and it's nice to have these options. I don't fly Lion so would end up connecting in CGK anyway on GA to get from SUB to KNO.

Last edited by gpeso8; Oct 19, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
But be warned, it (or the low-fare version of "it") doesn't always show up.

And I think if you're heading for KNO, the midday flight from DPS arrives too late for an MH connection, so it's an enforced sleep-over: a bit of a drag if you don't want to see the bright lights of KL

I'm not sure in SIN fits into the pattern, but JHB certainly does. And Penang.

I did DPS KUL//KUL CGK a week or so back in business-class for just a little more than buying separate tickets on Air Asia.
Hi, glad I came across this. Im doing another AUH-CMB-CGK run in March. I have been looking at another way to move around within the CGK stopovers. I have just worked up a CGK-KUL-KNO ret on MH which nests nicely into my inbound and subsequent outbound UL flight at CGK (= 160 tp BAEC). I know about the practical issues of having printed board pass in transit CGK etc...

Presently MH is pricing biz (d class) at £330 return which gets me 2 nights KUL and a fairly full day in Medan in between, a place I have always wanted to visit (make sense?)

Factor in the hotel in KUL and its a nice addition/diversion on the well trod AUH-CMB-CGK run.

Appreciate any thoughts/advice
T
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
It ticketed fine, i'm flying it next week so I will let you know. I'm local as well, and it's nice to have these options. I don't fly Lion so would end up connecting in CGK anyway on GA to get from SUB to KNO.
No issues with checking in at SUB was issued tickets all of the way to KNO. This will be my new preferred way to get from SUB to KNO.
blueferrari likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Hi, glad I came across this. Im doing another AUH-CMB-CGK run in March. I have been looking at another way to move around within the CGK stopovers. I have just worked up a CGK-KUL-KNO ret on MH which nests nicely into my inbound and subsequent outbound UL flight at CGK (= 160 tp BAEC). I know about the practical issues of having printed board pass in transit CGK etc...

Presently MH is pricing biz (d class) at £330 return which gets me 2 nights KUL and a fairly full day in Medan in between, a place I have always wanted to visit (make sense?)

Factor in the hotel in KUL and its a nice addition/diversion on the well trod AUH-CMB-CGK run.

Appreciate any thoughts/advice
T
Medan's something of an acquired taste. Langkawi, Penang and Bali are more obviously interesting spots covered by the same sort of deal. but If you choose another destination on the MH ticket, AND want to see Medan it's a very cheap 50 minute hop on Air Asia from KL or Penang.

If you do go to Medan I can't see any point in doing as a day trip. The MH schedule wouldn't give you long and the airport train, though a brilliant service, is a bit of a faff.

Overnighting, it'd be sensible to stay close to Merdeka Walk (restaurants) on the square in front of the station (where the airport train arrives). The d'prima hotel is over the station, noisy and hard to recommend. A good, comfortable spot across the square from the station is the Grand Inna: nothing fancy about it, but it's a serious old-style place of some historical importance. The Aston is a tad smarter and almost next door. I've started staying at the Santika, nice, modern, with pool: but a couple of streets further back from the square.

Lake Toba is a principal reason for tourism visits to the region, and if it's the sort of thing that might interest you, it's well worth giving up a couple of days for.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Medan's something of an acquired taste. Langkawi, Penang and Bali are more obviously interesting spots covered by the same sort of deal. but If you choose another destination on the MH ticket, AND want to see Medan it's a very cheap 50 minute hop on Air Asia from KL or Penang.

If you do go to Medan I can't see any point in doing as a day trip. The MH schedule wouldn't give you long and the airport train, though a brilliant service, is a bit of a faff.

Overnighting, it'd be sensible to stay close to Merdeka Walk (restaurants) on the square in front of the station (where the airport train arrives). The d'prima hotel is over the station, noisy and hard to recommend. A good, comfortable spot across the square from the station is the Grand Inna: nothing fancy about it, but it's a serious old-style place of some historical importance. The Aston is a tad smarter and almost next door. I've started staying at the Santika, nice, modern, with pool: but a couple of streets further back from the square.

Lake Toba is a principal reason for tourism visits to the region, and if it's the sort of thing that might interest you, it's well worth giving up a couple of days for.
Hi, thanks for this. Very interesting and informative. Appreciate you taking the time to post this. All noted.
T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.