Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Do you find pilots’ announcements infuriating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Been travelling quite a bit recently on MH, and I find genetally the captain’s announcements tend to be rather draggy... poorly pronounced with strong Malay accent... sometimes it’s as if they were only thinking of what to speak while they’d be speaking... I’ve even come across MH pilots who appeared distracted while speaking and couldn’t even string proper sentences together. I find such poorly prepared cockpit announcements to be very annoying as they interrupt with my IFE when they could be a lot snappier and more succinct. Anyone feel the same?
Old May 19, 2019, 1:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I have experienced exactly this, but with many airlines, not just MH. Halting English with a heavy accent, end the announcement abruptly as it they have the pressure to do the task, and as if feel relieved it finally ended. Cabin crews are better with announcements in my opinion. Though I don't feel this is infuriating or anything, rather I respect the captain does it at all, and if I found a stuttering captain, I am kind of rooting for them to get it through the end
Old May 19, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
The best flights are ones where the announcements are minimal and the (audible) volume is low.

Generally, IMO, MH is on the upper limit of announcements
Old May 19, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
hardly blame them for having Malaysian accents and I have not noticed excessive announcements. Remember these guys(and girls) are highly trained pilots not public speakers

yes some could be better BUT much prefer to any automated messages from the cockpit
nancypants and eminere like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll
hardly blame them for having Malaysian accents and I have not noticed excessive announcements. Remember these guys(and girls) are highly trained pilots not public speakers
Surely if pilots are expected to speak then they should be trained how to speak “properly”. The very basic being prepare your content beforehand and not pause or drag your sentences intermittently while desperately trying to think on your feet.

Cockpit announcements, if done well and with a dash of personality and passion, maybe humour, are a pleasure to listen to. Like the ones uttered by pilots on BA and QF. And the other day I came across a highly eloquent pilot announcement on SQ.

But the draggy ones by MH pilots are typically badly executed and especially grating.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:54 am

The vast majority of QF BA pilots are native English speakers and I bet most do not even attempt an announcement in the language of their destination if it is not English
nancypants and clubeurope like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Cockpit announcements, if done well and with a dash of personality and passion, maybe humour, are a pleasure to listen to. Like the ones uttered by pilots on BA and QF. And the other day I came across a highly eloquent pilot announcement on SQ.
Britons, Australians and even Singaporeans generally speak fluent English though....
I have flown airlines where the country do not speak English as native language (FM, MU, BR, VN, VZ, PG, TG, UB, 8M, to name a few) and their captain announcements were not any better than MH, yet I understand the information they announce, altitude, temperature, time, etc, just fine and that is all that matters? For humour and entertainment matters I would rely on IFE...
Old May 20, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll
The vast majority of QF BA pilots are native English speakers and I bet most do not even attempt an announcement in the language of their destination if it is not English
As my grandma who lived through both world wars used to teach me, if you’re tasked to do a job for which you’re already disadvantaged to begin with - work on it harder. Not by giving it insufficient preparation or attempting to work through what you should be speaking while you’re speaking it, as these MH pilots tend to do.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:24 am

Humour is fine IF appropriate not for the vast majority of the announcements that a pilot will make
Old May 20, 2019, 3:26 am

As my grandma who lived through both world wars used to teach me, if you’re tasked to do a job for which you’re already disadvantaged to begin with - work on it harder. Not by giving it insufficient preparation or attempting to work through what you should be speaking while you’re speaking it, as these MH pilots tend to do.
My grandmother taught me tolerance and to respect others
Old May 20, 2019, 3:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I would agree if it is a must for them to do, and so they have to do it perfectly, but, is it compulsory for the captain to make announcements? If not then what they do, even with halting English, is already respectable.
nancypants and clubeurope like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Juntima
I would agree if it is a must for them to do, and so they have to do it perfectly, but, is it compulsory for the captain to make announcements? If not then what they do, even with halting English, is already respectable.
I believe that is part of their job by MH. With any job, if you're required to do it, then do it well. Naturally the pilot's ability to navigate the flight route and keep passengers safe throughout the flight trump the making of onboard announcements, and one would never reasonably expect them other than in times of smooth flying. But that does not justify a half baked or distracted announcement.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Could be worse. Their delivery reminds me of pilots in the US.

The thing that bothers me about MH announcements is that they rarely bother to acknowledge delays. On one flight, a significantly delayed arrival (on-time departure) cost me several hundred euros and a delayed baggage situation but I didn't even realize that my flight hadn't arrived on time until I looked up the details by myself!
Old May 23, 2019, 5:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I mean do you know how hard it is for some people to grasp an accent different from their own? It's not that easy, and Malaysians speaking Malaysian english is completely fine and normal for them to do! If you really dislike it, then just don't fly MH.

If you fly within routes in Indonesia, you'll see that the english is even worse, and in some cases incomprehensible (even on Garuda). I've had one flight where the captain had such a thick accent, he was practically speaking Indonesian.
Danial and nancypants like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Could be worse. Their delivery reminds me of pilots in the US.

The thing that bothers me about MH announcements is that they rarely bother to acknowledge delays. On one flight, a significantly delayed arrival (on-time departure) cost me several hundred euros and a delayed baggage situation but I didn't even realize that my flight hadn't arrived on time until I looked up the details by myself!
Why would a late arrival result in a delayed baggage situation and surely either the IFE or your watch might have alerted you to the time you arrived

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.