Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Class of Service: ‘double’ downgrade. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff

Hi,

I booked KIX-KUL as First Class award on the A350. In the meantime it was downgraded to the Business Suite. We (two pax) were OK with this even though we were never notified. This morning I woke up to an Expertflyer alert (and a call by MH) that my plane got downgraded from the A350 to an A330.
So we went from First to Business Suite to Business.
I asked the agent who called me to check if she can reroute us OSA-NRT-TYO with the MH A350 on the second segment. Departure time would be early morning so I also asked (although I didn’t expect it to happen) for KIX-BKK on TG First on the A380 followed by a TG Business segment.
the agent confirmed that both options showed up and that she would call me back. I could see the NRT-KUL flight show up on my reservation shortly after.
A couple hours later she called me and told me that the Osaka station manager said that due to this being a BA award they will not reroute on another airline (not even to TYO). We are now confirmed in plain Business on the A330.
What are our options?
I asked the agent to have the station manager give me a call or at least give me their reason in writing so that I can claim some miles back from BA. No answer for the past 8+ hours.

The conditions of carriage don’t contain anything about awards. Esp not third party awards.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I highly doubt you'd get much sympathy from MH on a partner award, even though it's their fault. Your best bet is to pursue the claim with BA.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
the down grade from First to business suite is simply a name change same seat and everything

the downgrade to ordinary business means less room, a slightly worse champagne and no caviar and sharing the cabin with more

Unfortunately changing the plane is an occupational hazard of course how they deal with the consequences is the issue and if you are British then I wonder what the position would be legally with BA although no doubt they have made sure the customer has no rights
Old May 16, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
BA will want to know because it will save them money as they only want to pay MH for J instead of F.
You could demand the Avios difference from F->J from BA.

100% it's a double downgrade. I believe MH were compensating passengers who had booked in F, and received "business suites".
It has a significant effect as you don't receive F lounge access in OW lounges, your mileage accrual changes (on paid tix) etc.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
If you are re-booked in J cabin and MH refuse to budge, send BA your BP and request the difference in Avios refunded.

Originally Posted by d00t
100% it's a double downgrade. I believe MH were compensating passengers who had booked in F, and received "business suites".
It has a significant effect as you don't receive F lounge access in OW lounges, your mileage accrual changes (on paid tix) etc.
Not exactly a double downgrade. Cabin wise, it's a single cabin downgrade. Business Suite for all intent and purposes is First other than lounge access (and that's only at NRT and seasonal SYD flight). BS pax still gets FCL at KUL and there are no FCL at KIX (in OP's case).
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amnicoll
the down grade from First to business suite is simply a name change same seat and everything

the downgrade to ordinary business means less room, a slightly worse champagne and no caviar and sharing the cabin with more

Unfortunately changing the plane is an occupational hazard of course how they deal with the consequences is the issue and if you are British then I wonder what the position would be legally with BA although no doubt they have made sure the customer has no rights
I agree, this is not a double downgrade. First Class no longer exists, and Business Suites is effectively the First Class Cabin (which is why OP didn't get notification)

I'd say that the champagne is significantly worse though. Not sure what they serve on MH J these days (last I flew, they had a Bruno Paillard Brut and Rose, which were honestly decent), but definitely much worse than the Comtes de Champagne 2007 or whatever vintage they are serving in F now.

Service can also be worse honestly, and on a full flight, good luck getting any more satay :P
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by nov11
If you are re-booked in J cabin and MH refuse to budge, send BA your BP and request the difference in Avios refunded.

Not exactly a double downgrade. Cabin wise, it's a single cabin downgrade. Business Suite for all intent and purposes is First other than lounge access (and that's only at NRT and seasonal SYD flight). BS pax still gets FCL at KUL and there are no FCL at KIX (in OP's case).
If the OP booked the ticket as "First" under a BA award - they were charged "F" miles pricing.

No matter how hard MH spin it - it's not first class. It's a business plus.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

No matter how hard MH spin it - it's not first class. It's a business plus.
What exactly, if I may ask, makes MH's product "business plus" as opposed to first class?

Personally, in my opinion, I'd say MH's product is really quite solid. The service I've been getting is polished and warm, the food was great, the amenities were first class standard, and the seat isn't as bad as people say it is. In fact the seat was very comfortable (apart from being slightly narrow), but is defo better than any J seat out there (yes, I would prefer MH over Qsuite).

J products people often laud, Qatar's Qsuite particularly, I would say, is way too overrated. The door is nice yes, but it's still a Business product. There's a cubby hole in the seat, the Champagne and wines as of late has been dreadful, the crew stressed (and thus the food is often dry and overheated, and they forget things), the Pyjamas are scratchy and rather poor in quality. I suppose the only thing for me, Qsuite excels in, is their non-alcoholic beverage choice (v. MH's horrible "juices" and the comparatively uninspiring Wau Emas) and their IFE. Don't get me started with Al Mourjan.

MH Business Suite/First has in my opinion, great food, great service (unlike MH J, bah!), great Champagne, a solid and functional F lounge in KUL (apart from their showers), great amenities, etc.

Given the option, I would take MH F or BA F for that matter any day over Qsuite.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:39 pm

If the OP booked the ticket as "First" under a BA award - they were charged "F" miles pricing.
I don't think anyone is arguing with you that it's a downgrade. I just don't think it's a double downgrade. Even if it was sold as F and the equipment was swapped from 350 to 330, then it'll still be a single-cabin downgrade (any double downgrade on MH means you end up in Y instead of F/Business Suite).

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Personally, in my opinion, I'd say MH's product is really quite solid. The service I've been getting is polished and warm, the food was great, the amenities were first class standard, and the seat isn't as bad as people say it is.
That I'd agree. Probably one of my best cabin crew service was on my MH F flight. The seat while isn't bad, I just wish it's a tad longer. My toes are touching the bulkhead/board when I am sleeping straight (I am 1.86m).
clubeurope and nancypants like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I got no feedback from MH so far but found the MALAYSIAN AVIATION CONSUMER PROTECTION CODE 2016 online. It clearly states that no difference should be made between cash and redemption bookings.
Regarding the Avios difference: I only paid C miles for this F segment thanks to the BA rules. But I booked the trip in order to enjoy the MH A350 and would have booked something else (CX F) if it wasn’t available.

I guess I’ll ask the station manager to point out the section his answer is based on in the conditions of carriage. They should have a copy at the airport. I don’t want him to loose face but on the other hand the treatment so far was pretty terrible. In addition the NLML request disappeared from the reservation (not to mention the selected book the cook options) and I cannot check in my +1.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Regarding the Avios difference: I only paid C miles for this F segment thanks to the BA rules. But I booked the trip in order to enjoy the MH A350 and would have booked something else (CX F) if it wasn’t available.
May I ask what's the BA rules

If it's not too late and if there are seats available, you should be able to just cancel your ticket (unless its within 24 hours of departure) and purchase a new one.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nov11
May I ask what's the BA rules
BA rules for multi carrier awards state that the longest segment determines the number of miles (their factor to be correct) to be used. Adding ‘short’ F segments to longer C flights thus works and gets you F seats at the C price.
etiene likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

We are sitting in the TG lounge at KIX now.
We arrived at the MH check in where a handling agent was checking us in. They informed us that there was a downgrade and that we could get 25% off our next trip (no promo fares, base fare only, .... not worth anything). I asked to speak to the station manager and after a ten minutes he showed up to consult with the agents. He then turned to us and explained the issue from his point of view: downgrade from Business Suite to Business. Same cabin. No rebooking.
I countered with ‘but we booked and paid for First Class’ which he quickly acknowledged and then just checked for seats on the Thai flight. He also checked whether we already checked in luggage. I knew not to do it before but this was a clear sign that he was willing to rebook. I told him that I booked an award and not a cash ticket but he reassured that this is not a problem. We needed to wait for the TYO office to open at 9AM for them to rebook. While we had breakfast at a mediocre landslide restaurant I saw the TG availability drop by two indicating that we’ve been rebooked.
We were asked to be back at the MH counter by 9:15 or 9:30 (for a 9:55 MH departure) and figured that worst case we might run late and he won’t be able to get us on MH no matter what. But by 9:20 we were anxiously waiting at the counter and a check in agent led us to the TG desk to check in. I would have loved to thank the station manager but he already left.

tl;dr worked out well and we get some decent Miles&More miles out of this as well.
Thysk, aquanine and cowie like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by clubeurope
What exactly, if I may ask, makes MH's product "business plus" as opposed to first class?

Personally, in my opinion, I'd say MH's product is really quite solid. The service I've been getting is polished and warm, the food was great, the amenities were first class standard, and the seat isn't as bad as people say it is. In fact the seat was very comfortable (apart from being slightly narrow), but is defo better than any J seat out there (yes, I would prefer MH over Qsuite).

J products people often laud, Qatar's Qsuite particularly, I would say, is way too overrated. The door is nice yes, but it's still a Business product. There's a cubby hole in the seat, the Champagne and wines as of late has been dreadful, the crew stressed (and thus the food is often dry and overheated, and they forget things), the Pyjamas are scratchy and rather poor in quality. I suppose the only thing for me, Qsuite excels in, is their non-alcoholic beverage choice (v. MH's horrible "juices" and the comparatively uninspiring Wau Emas) and their IFE. Don't get me started with Al Mourjan.

MH Business Suite/First has in my opinion, great food, great service (unlike MH J, bah!), great Champagne, a solid and functional F lounge in KUL (apart from their showers), great amenities, etc.

Given the option, I would take MH F or BA F for that matter any day over Qsuite.
100% all this, other than BA 747 F gives me some pause when comparing to Qsuites - if I'm not looking to drink a lot on the flight I would potentially take Qsuites in a (non-existent) situation where Qsuites and BA 747 F operated on the same route and charged the same price.

MH 'Business Suites' is still a completely different type of travel to Qsuites, where as mentioned the service and F&B offering is still very much J class despite people who don't fly it frequently enough to see the real product thinking otherwise. Don't get me wrong, it's potentially the best J class hard product in existence, but it's J class soft product with nice touches, unlike MH 'Business Suites'.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
We are sitting in the TG lounge at KIX now.
We arrived at the MH check in where a handling agent was checking us in. They informed us that there was a downgrade and that we could get 25% off our next trip (no promo fares, base fare only, .... not worth anything). I asked to speak to the station manager and after a ten minutes he showed up to consult with the agents. He then turned to us and explained the issue from his point of view: downgrade from Business Suite to Business. Same cabin. No rebooking.
I countered with ‘but we booked and paid for First Class’ which he quickly acknowledged and then just checked for seats on the Thai flight. He also checked whether we already checked in luggage. I knew not to do it before but this was a clear sign that he was willing to rebook. I told him that I booked an award and not a cash ticket but he reassured that this is not a problem. We needed to wait for the TYO office to open at 9AM for them to rebook. While we had breakfast at a mediocre landslide restaurant I saw the TG availability drop by two indicating that we’ve been rebooked.
We were asked to be back at the MH counter by 9:15 or 9:30 (for a 9:55 MH departure) and figured that worst case we might run late and he won’t be able to get us on MH no matter what. But by 9:20 we were anxiously waiting at the counter and a check in agent led us to the TG desk to check in. I would have loved to thank the station manager but he already left.

tl;dr worked out well and we get some decent Miles&More miles out of this as well.
You should write/email to the CEO Izham Ismail praising the individual and at the same time complaining about the way MAS had responded to to the problem in the first place

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.