Wiki Posts
Search

Penang lounge closed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Penang lounge closed?

I fly to PEN twice a year or so and have always used the small MH lounge. It was a small, windowless room with not the best catering, but it was never crowded and it was a pleasant location to spend an hour in. Considering the cheapest Y fare is in the region of 12USD , it was a great value to even get into the lounge as an Emerald.

Few of my pics here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26918699-post4.html

According to the OW lounge finder, MH is now using the Plaza Premium lounge, anyone been there? I don't think it can be worse than the old MH lounge. KA (surprisingly) still has a lounge in PEN,but it's not accessible to domestic pax.

The bigger question is perhaps what is the future of domestic lounge access? PEN is certainly not the first domestic outport, which does not have lounge access anymore (I can't remember which airport was it). From what I understand , the lounge access situation is this:

AOR:No lounge
BTU:No lounge
JHB:No lounge
KBR:No lounge
BKI :MH lounge (also used by KA)
TGG:No lounge
KUA:No lounge
KCH :MH lounge
LBU: No lounge
MYY:No lounge
PEN: Plaza Premium
SDK: No lounge
SBW: No lounge
TWU: No lounge

....I did not know that the situation is so sad when I started writing this post.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If you thought the catering was bad at the domestic MH lounge, wait till you try the Plaza Premium lounge! It was so bad, that I decided to go and sit at Starbucks around the corner.

It might be good if MH can decide on one lounge prior to security and then they can put both domestic and international (when MH starts direct services to PVG) there.

You're only at PEN twice a year. I fly thru domestically every other week. I can't believe it but I actually really like the MH domestic lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:46 pm

It is closed temporarily. Not sure when it reopens though. The plaza premium next door is a reasonable substitute though.

Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If you thought the catering was bad at the domestic MH lounge, wait till you try the Plaza Premium lounge! It was so bad, that I decided to go and sit at Starbucks around the corner.

It might be good if MH can decide on one lounge prior to security and then they can put both domestic and international (when MH starts direct services to PVG) there.

You're only at PEN twice a year. I fly thru domestically every other week. I can't believe it but I actually really like the MH domestic lounge.
Thanks for the reply! The catering is not the best, but reasonable for a lounge at an outport with not much (I guess) connecting traffic....and Penang is not the city where you should eat in the lounge anyway I get there an hour before departure and grab a coffee and a cold drink and occasionally a bite.

I am surprised that you say PP is worse (not that I don't believe you), I tried searching for some pics, but could not find much.They charge 32USD per entry, so I thought there would be some kind of minimum standards.

Agree on the lounge before security, although I think they will not bother if Plaza gave them a good deal for usage of both : dom/intl lounges. Pax flying to PVG will also be able to use the KA lounge.

...I guess we are lucky to have a lounge at all,unlike the outports listed above (not sure if eligible pax there are given vouchers or anything).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
It is closed temporarily. Not sure when it reopens though. The plaza premium next door is a reasonable substitute though.

Thanks. I thought it was permanent because OW lounge does not list the MH lounge as temporary closed (as is the case with some other lounges under construction) and MH website does not list it at all anymore.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Oh who cares about this. The MH lounge is rubbish at Penang. And it's difficult to believe that the Plaza Premium is any worse. In the sense that neither will give you alcohol or a decent meal.

Both will give you the sense of privilege that you're looking for. And a seat in a quiet area to sit in.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
We were just at the Plaza Premium lounge in Penang. This is now the Malaysia business lounge as well as Qatar, China, China Southern and Priority Pass.

It's not great: small, limited beverages (but beer in the fridge!) and very few tables. The chef-prepared food is ok though, and you can definitely make a meal out of it.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 30, 2019 at 2:52 am Reason: Redact link to own blog
Old May 15, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
We were just at the Plaza Premium lounge in Penang. This is now the Malaysia business lounge as well as Qatar, China, China Southern and Priority Pass.

It's not great: small, limited beverages (but beer in the fridge!) and very few tables. The chef-prepared food is ok though, and you can definitely make a meal out of it.
The furniture is a bit tired!
Though I agree, I usually grab two of three dishes before I get on a flight.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 30, 2019 at 2:54 am Reason: Conform to moderator edit in quoted text
Old May 15, 2019, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
The furniture is a bit tired!
Though I agree, I usually grab two of three dishes before I get on a flight.
And good luck sitting at a table.

But any lounge is better than no lounge! ^
Old May 16, 2019, 10:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Does MH fly any Intl routes from Penang?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 30, 2019 at 2:54 am Reason: Conform to moderator edit in quoted text
Old May 16, 2019, 10:43 am

The Plaza Premium Lounge in the domestic part of the terminal is really small and overcrowded. I can't stand being in there really, it's windowless, dark, dingy and the furniture makes it seem very stuffy. The food is nothing to talk about (at least it was a la carte).

Whilst I'm grateful for a lounge to access, I'd rather very much be sitting at the gate areas looking at the planes.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Does MH fly any Intl routes from Penang?
No but FY does (and lounge access is only given to MH elites)..
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:28 pm

The Plaza Premium Lounge in the domestic part of the terminal is really small and overcrowded. I can't stand being in there really, it's windowless, dark, dingy and the furniture makes it seem very stuffy. The food is nothing to talk about (at least it was a la carte).

Whilst I'm grateful for a lounge to access, I'd rather very much be sitting at the gate areas looking at the planes.
From the photos, how does it compare to the one on the international side? Sounds like they are very similar!
Old May 17, 2019, 12:22 pm

From the photos, how does it compare to the one on the international side? Sounds like they are very similar!
It's visually very similar, only the domestic one is much smaller, and rather claustrophobic I'd say, and the set up definitely doesn't help.
kokonutz and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:22 pm

As you say, it's not actually stuffy but the whole experience is very claustrophobic
clubeurope and kokonutz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.