Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA pay for access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

Looks like an economy passenger as pay $50 for access. I'm worried by this as the lounge gets very busy already. IMO this devalues the lounge quite a bit, don't you think?
Old May 5, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Link?

I recall last year sometime if you were in full 'Y' class there was an option to buy lounge access for RM 300 (?ish).
Most of the time, full Y is more expensive than busienss class.

Last edited by d00t; May 5, 2019 at 3:01 am
Old May 5, 2019, 4:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/us/...ge-access.html

Economy Passengers can pay for access for some time already. Either MYR279 or MYR320 per access depending on one buying online or at the door.

I'm not sure how busy the Regional/Satellite J lounges are these days, though when I used them late last year in the morning and midday, there were sufficient space and it wasn't as busy as those sad Aspire/Escape lounges you see in the UK.

F lounge doesn't get very busy though in my recent experiences, except nearing the time of JL724's departure, which is often filled with JAL Global Club Top-tier Elites
Old May 5, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
I think a very small minority will bother to pay for this. Also, the MH lounges are already rather mediocre at best, so it doesn't matter that much I think.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
It won't be a big issue. RM 279/320 for the average Economy class pax (especially local Malaysians) is a lot of money. I'd imagine USD $50 for a market like SIN/HKG won't be a huge seller either.

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Also, the MH lounges are already rather mediocre at best, so it doesn't matter that much I think.
I disagree that MH lounge is mediocre. I think it's great for the price of MH product. Miles ahead of BA's LHR lounges, AA's Flagship lounge, and TG's BKK Royal Orchid Lounge. It might not be as luxury as CX's lounges, but it's functional and the food is better than CX (and you never hear MH platinums complaining about overcrowding in their FCL)
Old May 5, 2019, 12:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nov11
I disagree that MH lounge is mediocre. I think it's great for the price of MH product. Miles ahead of BA's LHR lounges, AA's Flagship lounge, and TG's BKK Royal Orchid Lounge. It might not be as luxury as CX's lounges, but it's functional and the food is better than CX (and you never hear MH platinums complaining about overcrowding in their FCL)
For a J lounge, I actually preferred AA's Flagship in JFK

But yeah, it's much much nicer than the BA lounges (especially the MH J lounge compared to Galleries First, though Concorde Room is rather quite special). If anything I see more JL elites than MH Plats in the F lounge

But in regards with CX, CX lounges are beautiful and very clean (particularly the showers), and I guess it's one to their own, but I prefer the food at the CX lounges, despite the degrading quality of CX lounges. I guess the horrid luminescent orange coloured drink MH claims to be orange juice just really puts me off.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by clubeurope
But in regards with CX, CX lounges are beautiful and very clean (particularly the showers), and I guess it's one to their own, but I prefer the food at the CX lounges, despite the degrading quality of CX lounges. I guess the horrid luminescent orange coloured drink MH claims to be orange juice just really puts me off.
I agree that CX's lounges are spotless, probably one of the cleanest lounges I've been to (even cleaner than SQ's). There are some good food at CX's lounges (love their char siew pau) but if it was during the Peninsula/PPL years, I'd say CX beats MH hands down. CX's food isn't bad now, just that it doesn't match the beauty of the lounge
Old May 5, 2019, 2:09 pm

This is not new, they've had this option at least since Bellew's time as CEO: I recall seeing it roughly sometime 2016.

As already noted, most people don't pay ($60 per pax) for lounge access. KLIA is a reasonably nice airport so no need to go into a lounge. Plus, why would you when the Sama-Sama lounge is 1/3-1/2 that?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Enrich
Unless you are very desperate for shower, which I usually do if I had to attend some event half a day before going airport straight, then a cup of coffee and snack in starbuck with free wifi and power outlet could cost less than RM30, like 10% of the lounge price. Even you can go to old town had a meal with free power outlet at very small fraction
Old May 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by dici
Unless you are very desperate for shower, which I usually do if I had to attend some event half a day before going airport straight, then a cup of coffee and snack in starbuck with free wifi and power outlet could cost less than RM30, like 10% of the lounge price. Even you can go to old town had a meal with free power outlet at very small fraction
If a shower is what you need, the plaza premium lounge can do the job for about RM100+. Food is lousy though but other than that is quite a good lounge, especially if you have credit cards that grant you complimentary access. Or even the transit hotel which I think do offer shower for below RM50. (couldn't remember as it was 3-4 years ago)

On the other hand, RM300 for access to golden lounge is pure rip off. People travelling on econony most likely will not want to spend these sort of money on golden lounge. I'd rather spend it on a transit hotel that grant me a comfy bed to sleep if I have long transit hours.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
I try not have to have a shower in MH's lounge (that includes Business Suites/F lounge!) as they're simply disgusting. Ever seen the floor mats?
So yeah, I stick to the mediocre rating, which might even be generous.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by fabian87
Or even the transit hotel which I think do offer shower for below RM50. (couldn't remember as it was 3-4 years ago)
Yes, Sama-Sama is ~RM78 for the lounge with shower cubicle access, think ~RM120 for the larger, private shower room; not sure you can get just the shower?

Originally Posted by quinzinho
I try not have to have a shower in MH's lounge (that includes Business Suites/F lounge!) as they're simply disgusting. Ever seen the floor mats?
The showers are OK, save for the floor mats (indeed disgusting). Still, I always carry flip flops for such situations...
Old May 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
The price point isn't to make money from selling lounge access.

It's to provide a feeling of security, safety and acceptance to biz/first/ow status pax.

If someone wants to pay 300 - great! Otherwise, it lets premium pax know there's a barrier to entry for lounge access. THAT - keeps the loyalty wheel spinning.

Sama Sama/Plaza premium etc are in the business of selling access. They are not in the business of being an airline, and therefore different motivations and economics.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
If someone wants to pay 300 - great! Otherwise, it lets premium pax know there's a barrier to entry for lounge access. THAT - keeps the loyalty wheel spinning.
While it does do that somewhat, if this was the real intention, it would have been more strongly supported by not offering access to non-F/J/status flyers at all, as it was originally. This whole thread would then have been moot, since there's be no concern of the lounges being overrun by economy flyers...

MH has slowly been going down the monetisation route, particularly as Müller & Bellew came onboard, but its not got it properly tweaked yet... which is fine by me.

(Btw, Plaza Premium is just too crowded with all the card holders getting free access, hence would not recommend if you actually want to spend for access... Sama-Sama is usually quiet and relaxing, so much so that I honestly am unsure if they even make any money.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.