Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-interline connection at KUL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Non-interline connection at KUL

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question (mods feel free to move this post) but is 4 hours enough to transit in KUL for two separate tickets on carriers without inter line agreements? I’m looking at an itinerary that’d have me fly into KUL on a Qatar flight but then I’d connect at KUL to a Garuda Indonesia flight about 4 hours later. I’ve never flown through KUL but I’m assuming I’d need to clear immigration, get my bags, and re-check at the Garuda counter. Is there fast-track immigration at KUL? For what it’s worth I’d be flying in J on both tickets. Thanks so much and sorry again if this is the wrong forum! Cheers!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by fender5787
Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question (mods feel free to move this post) but is 4 hours enough to transit in KUL for two separate tickets on carriers without inter line agreements? I’m looking at an itinerary that’d have me fly into KUL on a Qatar flight but then I’d connect at KUL to a Garuda Indonesia flight about 4 hours later. I’ve never flown through KUL but I’m assuming I’d need to clear immigration, get my bags, and re-check at the Garuda counter. Is there fast-track immigration at KUL? For what it’s worth I’d be flying in J on both tickets. Thanks so much and sorry again if this is the wrong forum! Cheers!
If everything is on time, yes plenty of time to clear immigration, grab bags, and check-in again. There'll be fast track at KUL for both arriving and departing premium pax. There's also service provided by KUL Airport where they can re-tag your bag (enquire at the transit counter in the satellite concourse) without clearing immigration. They'll re-tag the bag on your behalf.

But if I were you, unless the cost is significantly higher, I'll choose MH simply because QR will have no problems checking in my bags onto my connecting flight at KUL on MH.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by fender5787
Hi all,

4 hours is plenty of time for KLIA, and yes there is fast track immigration.

You are also correct in the rest of your assumptions. Qatar disembarks at the Satellite Terminal (as most International Flights) , so you'd have to take a 3 minute train to the Main Terminal Building where immigration and bags are (Level 3). Then take a lift to Level 5 where all the check-in desks are located including Garuda's and you'll be on your way again back to the Satellite Terminal after checking in.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:03 am

[EDIT] Disregard, Garuda does not have a transfer desk agent in the International Terminal anymore; you must go to the check-in counters landslide to get this done.
Transfer desk (updated):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mala...l#post30541007

Originally Posted by crackjack
... As a last resort, however, on my last trip through KLIA, a sign on the transfer desk stated that they could assist with transferring bags to the next flight (Iassume this was based on the bag not being tagged before); definitely something I could use every now and again!

[EDIT] Well, nuts. Looks like this is only to help ensure bags get onto your next flight, not retagging them on separate tickets. Guess that it’s only SIN and HKG who will do this regularly down in SEA.

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old May 15, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Could the ‘Transfer Baggage’ notice by AeroDarat, be more to ensure that the bags are ‘in’ the receiving airline’s system, even if checked through?

I’ve had both CX &MH ask me for bag tags, when transferring across separate tickets with bags tagged through (AA->CX, AC->CX, QF->CX, CX->MH, UL->MH).
Old May 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

That is possible... I was thinking this was to make KLIA more on par with SIN / HKG, but perhaps it is just to help streamline standard interlining on a single ticket.

Only way to know is to hear someone's experience, I guess.[EDIT]Well, guess this FTer’s experience confirms it is only for helping ensure your already-tagged bags get to your next flight:Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.