FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   MCT at KUD - 15 mins doable? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1963903-mct-kud-15-mins-doable.html)

jbfield Apr 4, 2019 12:03 am

MCT at KUD - 15 mins doable?

Any know if a pseudo-Back to Back at KUD is possible?
I had a booking BKI-KUD-SDK binned by MH as they cancelled their scheduled day of operation so I’m contemplating SDK-KUD-BKI as two separate bookings.

It’s only 15 mins between arrival and departure, but if I had my electronic boarding pass do you think it would be possible to get off and immediately back on again?

dici Apr 4, 2019 12:44 am

I think you should able to make it, since it is an extremely small airport, and most likely it is the same aircraft that connect to BKI

Zawnet Apr 4, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm not so sure. You may be treated as a no show as the handling agent for these "rural" airstrips is usually some local folks, maybe a travel agency guy etc, and you - not just your luggage - need to be weighed at check-in. Hence, physical presence is a Mandatory!. From my observations, most of the check-in formalities are done well before the Twin Otter lands - given that it is on the ground for only 15 mins or so. However, as the process is done manually, there *may* be some discretion to allow "late-comers" to check-in - but bear in mind that the folks who handle check-in formalities would be the same folks who would offload baggage from the flight that would have just arrived and would also be responsible for putting new luggage on the plane. There would be time pressures. So, I would understand if there would not be anyone to handle check-in after the incoming flight has arrived.

The on-the-ground-time in KUD may be a very, very short one or a slightly longer one which allows the pilots to go for bathroom breaks in the tiny terminal.

Zawnet Apr 4, 2019 5:55 pm

I think here's what you need to do without having to worry about being treated as a no-show.

The aircraft originates in BKI. It goes to KUD and then off to SDK before turning around back to KUD and then BKI.
You should be booking BKI-KUD and then KUD-BKI as two separate tickets. You would have about 2+ hrs in between.

Use that time to go into KUD town and have a brunch or a walkaround or both - it is a very small town. There would be local taxis waiting outside the terminal for the arriving flight from BKI. Make arrangements for them to pick you up from town about an hour or so later to take you back to KUD terminal for the return flight to BKI.

nov11 Apr 5, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield (Post 30963038)
It’s only 15 mins between arrival and departure, but if I had my electronic boarding pass do you think it would be possible to get off and immediately back on again?

If you have time in your travel plans, spend a day or two in Kudat. It's an interesting area (not the town itself tho). I'd highly recommend a drive or a stay near the Tip of Borneo. I love that place so much and I would love to go back.

jbfield Apr 8, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 30970403)
If you have time in your travel plans, spend a day or two in Kudat. It's an interesting area (not the town itself tho). I'd highly recommend a drive or a stay near the Tip of Borneo. I love that place so much and I would love to go back.

Would like to do this, but don't have the spare time at the moment. I noticed the re-scheduling had at one point put a BKI-KUD flight on a Sunday and the KUD-SDK on a Monday, so was going to try at least a 20 hour stay
but they've since re-scheduled again to remove this flight from the schedule entirely.

I'm not sure why they've removed the option to book a through-ticket; I get that it's a subsidised Rural Air Service but that fare worked out more than the direct BKI-SDK flight, and had a much more convenient timing too.