Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft downgrade - options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Aircraft downgrade - options?

My upcoming HKG-KUL has been downgraded from A330 to 737, and clearly, the product is wildly inferior on 737.
There are no other A330 flights that day and I can't fly another day.

Given the product downgrade, what are my options in your experience? Compensation? Move to Cathay at no charge?

The airline is disorganised at the best of times so I'd like to be prepared when calling!!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:54 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

You can try calling and may hopefully find a helpful agent who might symphatise and move you to another flight, but that would be unlikely.

unfortunately the options are close to zero as your contract is for the airline to fly you between A and B in Business Class and not on a certain type of plane. On Cathay, who is notorious for aircraft changes on regional flights, similarly doesn’t give exception for change or compensation on similar grounds.

also, I suppose it is good to know that CX doesn’t operate KUL-HKG anymore having since been replaced by KA. In such circumstance, I would take MH’s 737 over KA’s A330 with the horrible CX regional J seats any day.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Cathay Dragon seats are consistent so doesn't matter if there's a swap on Malaysia flights.

I am travelling with an infant, AND the base fares are different prices on A330 vs 737 for MH. Feels like bait and switch.

I'll try my luck. Probably best to have a refund and rebook KA by the sound of it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Fares varying with the type of aircraft? A new one for me never heard of it before

i have flown short haul in the MAS 737 in business and it was fine - far more comfortable than most European carriers
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
My upcoming HKG-KUL has been downgraded from A330 to 737, and clearly, the product is wildly inferior on 737.
There are no other A330 flights that day and I can't fly another day.

Given the product downgrade, what are my options in your experience? Compensation? Move to Cathay at no charge?

The airline is disorganised at the best of times so I'd like to be prepared when calling!!
Good luck on getting something out of them. As you say, disorganised at the best of times!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by d00t
the base fares are different prices on A330 vs 737 for MH.
I just tried to price different flights and could not see any differences in base fares for business between 737 versus the 330 on MH. I just don't think that's how fares are calculated.

KA does have a consistent regional business product with the rare swap to a CX plane with lie-flat beds.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:17 am

[QUOTE=bchang;30931000]I just tried to price different flights and could not see any differences in base fares for business between 737 versus the 330 on MH. I just don't think that's how fares are calculated

i have not heard of this before either apart from obviously Concorde. All airlines change the type of plane operated from time to time sometimes for the good sometimes for the bad. There is no guarantee apart from class of travel
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:34 am

Perhaps it is due to a different fare bucket available between the flights (e.g. Z vs D)?

Others may have booked the A330 flight (their reasoning is irrelevant, whether based on scheduled widebody aircraft type as the OP did or on timing), meaning the tickets the OP booked were actually a different fare than what was seen for the other, 737-scheduled flights... this would mean the key T&Cs for such tickets would be different.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:45 am

No idea what the Z vs D is but would they give you the right to cancel, seek compensation or change if the equivalent was changed?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
No idea what the Z vs D is but would they give you the right to cancel, seek compensation or change if the equivalent was changed?
Z = "Business Promo" fares, C = ?, D = "Business Smart", J = "Business Flex", I think?
Or alternately, "Y vs Q" instead (Economy Flex vs Economy Basic).

Unless the ticket's T&Cs allow it (which only J / Y / B / H? fare tickets would, I believe), then no, not unless MH management decides to make an exception or the change / cancel fee is paid if available.

More likely - but even this at MH's discretion - is a goodwill gesture (coupon, miles, or even a free switch to another flight @ same fare), but the ticket is only for transport from A to B; anything else is above and beyond. Airline T&Cs normally make allowance that the plane type represented to you may not be the one you actually fly.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 26, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:55 am

No, there's nothing much you can do. I experienced an aircraft change a year or two ago but that was on economy class, and after numerous email exchanges, they only compensated me 3000 enrich miles as a gesture of goodwill.

Recently I also asked them regarding aircraft change involving business class (i.e. A330 lie flat downgraded to B737 Recliner), their reply was that no compensation will be granted. The best they can do is arrange another flight on the same day to get you to the destination if there is another flight that is operating on the aircraft that you desired, but still subject to availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.