Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by wantan
Compared to current method of driving 20-30 minutes to the airport, for a 30 minute flight ... and another 30 minute from destination airport into town
If you think driving 20-30 minutes to the airport for a short flight is unacceptable, then I've got news for you.

not sure what's wrong with US Carriers ? In it's current state I find AA more welcoming than MH , especially how frequent fliers on AA actually get seat upgrades.
There's no better way to dilute your premium cabins than turning upgrades into a commodity. Flying on a 3hr flight at the wrong time of the day? Forget about getting a proper meal. Need I remind you of how ridiculous lounge access rules are in the US? After spending tens of thousands of dollars on J/F tickets to hit top-tier status, you'd probably need to get a seperate lounge membership, only to be treated with things like cheese cubes and pretzel crisps. US carriers are also taking away what little remains of the Y experience with Basic Economy. Are these examples of being more welcoming than MH?

We all know MH is hardly the most luxurious airline arond, but at least you never have to worry about things like food, baggage and lounge access even on the cheapest of Z/O fares.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you think driving 20-30 minutes to the airport for a short flight is unacceptable, then I've got news for you.
I'm framing this in the context of MasWings operations in East Malaysia.

Another way to put it : taking a bus or driving on certain routes is faster than taking the plane. Especially if one has check-in luggage. Add in the uncertainty / unreliability of MasWings to keep to a schedule AND the high fares (RM250/way for an hour flight) ... it's no wonder there's been no complaints since they pulled out of those major routes.

The point is MW has not been creative in overcoming these hurdles to become attractive.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
There's no better way to dilute your premium cabins than turning upgrades into a commodity. Flying on a 3hr flight at the wrong time of the day? Forget about getting a proper meal. Need I remind you of how ridiculous lounge access rules are in the US? After spending tens of thousands of dollars on J/F tickets to hit top-tier status, you'd probably need to get a seperate lounge membership, only to be treated with things like cheese cubes and pretzel crisps. US carriers are also taking away what little remains of the Y experience with Basic Economy. Are these examples of being more welcoming than MH?

We all know MH is hardly the most luxurious airline arond, but at least you never have to worry about things like food, baggage and lounge access even on the cheapest of Z/O fares.
Not sure where you're coming from, on one hand you're complaining about AA proactively giving upgrades to their FF & OW members, but on the other hand also complaining about controlling lounge access ? If one has top tier status, then lounge access is no issue.

As a "flag carrier", MH only has lounges in 3 Malaysian airports . Fine if you're based in one of those cities, but for the rest of us ... not only does MH not have an edge over the competition, it's clearly lost it's lead. This is not meant to bash MH, had many happy memories with them but even after corporately changing from MAS to MAB, they're still FAILING to catch up. Even on simple things like keeping the INTERIOR of the plane clean ... just got off a flight this morning and all that grime is still there.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:56 am

Not sure where you're coming from, on one hand you're complaining about AA proactively giving upgrades to their FF & OW members, but on the other hand also complaining about controlling lounge access ? If one has top tier status, then lounge access is no issue.
AA doesn't give free upgrades to OW elites, and lounge access is very much as issue if you're a top tier member with their own programme flying within North America. I'd suggest reading up on how AA does things when it comes to upgrades and lounges, and maybe look up some trip reports to see how flying is like in the US. Then tell me if you still find AA to be more "welcoming" than MH.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ashkale
AA is American Airlines and AK is Airasia Malaysia. Problem is Malaysian gov has no money and will liquidate anything at this point to survive. The Japan bonds have flopped and treasury is empty.
Speaking as someone who has visited Air Asia hq, including meeting with Tony, they definitely refer to themselves as AA.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by moondog
Speaking as someone who has visited Air Asia hq, including meeting with Tony, they definitely refer to themselves as AA.

i think many people would certainly in conversation and in writing but we would know for the context which one we were referring to.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Still Doesnt make it right..definitely not on this forum.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ashkale
Still Doesnt make it right..definitely not on this forum. Meeting with a ponzi scheme owner makes you proud?
Pride isn't the word that comes to mind, but he is a genuinely nice guy, and he did manage to make air travel affordable for many people.

In any event, they use "AA" as an internal moniker because they have five different airline codes.
d00t, crackjack and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by amnicoll
i think many people would certainly in conversation and in writing but we would know for the context which one we were referring to.
Within the context of FlyerTalk and the MH forum, in which members from around the world participate (not least oneworld loyalists and US-based flyers).... I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that AA refers to, well, AA.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:11 pm

but he is a genuinely nice guy,
Yes he is. He's an old family friend from before Air Asia. But you always knew he had a ruthless streak in him and you always knew he would lean whichever way the wind blew because it was good business. I do like him on a personal level, but am well aware he's a businessman with an agenda.

and he did manage to make air travel affordable for many people.
That much I'll give him.

In any event, they use "AA" as an internal moniker because they have five different airline codes.
That they do, but in this context, in this forum - far and away by sheer member and post count: AA means American.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
MasWings isn't much better on reliability than FAX either. It's so bad that AK is even flying routes in Sabah & Sarawak that MasWings has pulled out of ie: KCH - BTU - KCH
I'm not sure how that's a good example. TBH, I see AK taking over routes that MASWings (and the government) running as a loss as a good thing. It's not a case of "it's so bad that AK has to step in" - but rather the fact that these routes have become profitable in their own right that 1) they don't need to belong to the RAS/PSO scheme and 2) you don't need to entice AK to take over from MASWings for these routes to be operated. Will AK run those routes on their own accord if they weren't profitable/required smaller aircrafts than the A320s? Highly unlikely. It doesn't match up on your point on MASWings reliability; nor deal with the issues that FAX gave, which were the presence of highly unreliable services to places they were to serve on a consistent basis under the RAS/PSO.

The Rural Air Services (RAS) are subsidized anyway, so Govt is just giving money to itself to waste. If you've been to Mulu, its common for tourists to arrive on ATR, while the locals there have some sort of airlift from TUDM choppers. Just to show how inconvenient / incompetent MasWings is in meeting the needs of East Malaysians.
Err, isn't that the point why MAS shouldn't be closed; or at least MASWings? In the presence of market failure (hence resulting in the rise of RAS), government intervention is needed. Never been to Mulu myself - that I concede, but with half of my family East Malaysians, I do know how to make my own judgements on how inconvenient/incompetent MASWings is. Can be better, but hell to the no to FAX days. Also, to be grounded to reality and honestly - has anything ever been in the absolute sense, convenient and competent on/for air travel in Sarawak and Sabah?

IMHO, MasWings if it's really wants to assist the people, should look into operating amphibians. Most towns/cities/kampungs are located along rivers so they could really land in the heart of each place. Compared to current method of driving 20-30 minutes to the airport, for a 30 minute flight ... and another 30 minute from destination airport into town; and the current network is limited by airport .. no such issue if you can land on the river, thus helping to open up the heartland of Sabah & Sarawak.
I personally agree, but this, IMHO, is irrelevant to the case/context of this thread or your argument, that the government is not unlikely to close down MAS and its subsidiaries.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:04 pm
Suspended

'I love Malaysia Airlines, but we can't afford it': Mahathir says national carrier may be sold.

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Not quite the whole quote, as per the SCMP:
“There are certain parties who are interested to buy (the airline), so we don’t reject (the possibility of selling),” Mahathir said, without disclosing the names of the firms.

The government will consider whether to change the airline’s management, downsize or expand it, he said. <bolding mine>

"Although we hired foreign management, MAS still faced losses. Therefore, one of the options is to sell,” he said, referring to Malaysia Airlines by its former acronym MAS.
“I love MAS. I want MAS to be a national airline, but it looks like we cannot afford it,” the leader added.
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/south...uying-malaysia

Such chopped quotes make for great, attention-grabbing sensational headlines, but also sadly make misinform readers if they don't read further...
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 20, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

What i dont get is why is this coming up again and again?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by crackjack

Although we hired foreign management, MAS still faced losses

Such chopped quotes make for great, attention-grabbing sensational headlines, but also sadly make misinform readers if they don't read further...
This bold part even make me laugh harder... we all know it is nothing to do with whether it is foreign management or not, the reason is because all the abang adik take a sit inside there. And I felt like MH already went into LCC route during the last resigned CEO, so much cutting
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by crackjack
There are certain parties who are interested to buy (the airline) ..

i'd love to know who they are!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.