FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Service Changes in Domestic J ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1958008-service-changes-domestic-j.html)

wantan Feb 25, 2019 2:00 am

Service Changes in Domestic J ?

so I recently had a KUL - MYY and MYY - KUL flight, just a day apart.

Inbound was B738 with old interior, received a cold towel after welcome drink and meal was served as normal ie: crew went to each passenger and asked about food choice. After getting everyone's order it was plated in gallery and brought out one by one.

Outbound was B738 with new interior, received a welcome drink but no cold towel. Meal was served via trolley like economy class.

Just another MH inconsistency or is it a sign of more cost cutting ?

crackjack Feb 25, 2019 3:27 am

[Edit]heh, guess I needed to read the post a bit closer...

db07mufan Feb 25, 2019 3:39 am

Think its just inconsistency

Zawnet Feb 25, 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by wantan (Post 30818463)
so I recently had a KUL - MYY and MYY - KUL flight, just a day apart.

Inbound was B738 with old interior, received a cold towel after welcome drink and meal was served as normal ie: crew went to each passenger and asked about food choice. After getting everyone's order it was plated in gallery and brought out one by one.

Outbound was B738 with new interior, received a welcome drink but no cold towel. Meal was served via trolley like economy class.

Just another MH inconsistency or is it a sign of more cost cutting ?

Was there the same number of pax in the J cabin for both flights?
Although up to the crew, the more personalised service (btw, they do not really do the plating in the galley but more arranging the selected main course on the tray and maybe add the bread rolls as well) is usually done when there are just a few J pax but the trolley is used when the cabin has more pax.

As for the cold towel, it could just be a simple forgetfulness or you just weren't at your seat (the lav, perhaps?) when it was handed out and they forgot all about you.

wantan Feb 25, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Zawnet (Post 30818678)
Was there the same number of pax in the J cabin for both flights?
Although up to the crew, the more personalised service (btw, they do not really do the plating in the galley but more arranging the selected main course on the tray and maybe add the bread rolls as well) is usually done when there are just a few J pax but the trolley is used when the cabin has more pax.

As for the cold towel, it could just be a simple forgetfulness or you just weren't at your seat (the lav, perhaps?) when it was handed out and they forgot all about you.

J cabin was 6 (plated) while 5 (trolley). Noticed the trolley as it's the first time I've seen it used on B738 J service.

I usually prefer being one of the last to board, so there could have been a chance of cold towel being distributed already, however I did not notice any on the other seats and the welcome drinks glasses were still there.

Yes perhaps "plating" is not the most accurate way of describing it. More of putting the main onto the tray ... comically I've had experiences where crew would remove the tin foil from the mains at the seat, instead of gallery ... not so great if you're in the window seat.

Zawnet Feb 25, 2019 4:48 pm

I guess it all comes down to the cabin crew’s preference.

Trolley service in J on the 738s is not uncommon though this is almost always done when there are more than a few pax onboard.

On longer 738 sectors, the crew may opt to deliver/ serve starters, mains and desserts course by course as opposed to everything on the tray at one go. Especially if the service starts with some satay.

dici Feb 26, 2019 8:00 pm

It might depends on how busy the crews in J during the departure preparation for short haul flight (around one hour). For my experience between SIN-KUL route, in some of the flightm the crew manage to ask few of passenger on menu choice before take-off, while some of the flight, the crews seems to be busy in pre-departure preparation so they decided to take the trolley out once in the air.

In generally I prefer older age group crews, as they are more friendly has a higher enthusiasm and service quality. Had an experience in a crew set of younger crew (including the supervisor) in J, the service quality is definitely the lowest.

SQTraveller Feb 28, 2019 6:29 am

I recently flew SIN-KUL and one way the towel was scaldingly hot, the other it wasn't heated ...

I did love the MH lounge in KL though for BA Gold.

clubeurope Mar 1, 2019 6:48 am

it would be inconsistency. Have done flights where there is a trolley and others when food brought by trays.

lost_in_translation Apr 21, 2019 5:40 am

Took my first MH domestic flight this week (KUL-LGK), not sure if this route gets different J catering given it’s short but it was abominably bad, the choice was a tuna sandwich or a potato pastry, both served with a small square of chocolate.

Combined with the very limited drinks choice and ancient 737 it certainly didn’t feel like a premium experience. Actually made me appreciate BA Club Europe which is the same price for the same length of flight despite much higher labour costs.

dici Apr 21, 2019 6:30 am

Yea, it is normal if the flight is short, like less than 1 hr 15 minutes. They are unable to serve any bigger meal and offer more items because the flight descending too quickly. Unless you fly to east Malaysia then I believe you could expect something a little better.

If you sit in Y class, you will found that when they distribute the signature peanut package thru the half way, captain always announce the aircraft start to descend..

I would not bother the J meal for any flight within west Malaysia and Singapore. Have a laksa in lounge is much better

clubeurope Apr 21, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dici (Post 31022137)
Yea, it is normal if the flight is short, like less than 1 hr 15 minutes. They are unable to serve any bigger meal and offer more items because the flight descending too quickly. Unless you fly to east Malaysia then I believe you could expect something a little better.

If you sit in Y class, you will found that when they distribute the signature peanut package thru the half way, captain always announce the aircraft start to descend..

I would not bother the J meal for any flight within west Malaysia and Singapore. Have a laksa in lounge is much better

I agree. The only times I've had a rather decent refreshment on these short domestic hops in J are when they have the satay. Not exactly the same as the intl routes satay, but it was decent. The (tuna) sandwiches are awful. Though despite that it's still amazing that they can manage to serve hot meals in sub hour flights like KUL-PEN or KUL-SIN.

wantan Apr 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31022068)
Took my first MH domestic flight this week (KUL-LGK), not sure if this route gets different J catering given it’s short but it was abominably bad, the choice was a tuna sandwich or a potato pastry, both served with a small square of chocolate.

Combined with the very limited drinks choice and ancient 737 it certainly didn’t feel like a premium experience. Actually made me appreciate BA Club Europe which is the same price for the same length of flight despite much higher labour costs.

or take AirAsia, where they will always have time to sell you something :D On really short flights (<40 minutes) I'd pre-book meals on AirAsia as these are served 1st.

in any case, just another example where MH isn't even trying to keep up anymore.

lost_in_translation Apr 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Reading on here that MH don’t even pay for the lounge at LGK also? Let’s hope the return flight has a different menu :p.

CoweyB Apr 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31022068)

My first MH flight was last week as well. I wasn’t expecting much on such a short flight from KUL to PEN but I was given a very bad short piece of baguette with some cold fried vegetables in it and a glass of water (no other drink offered).

That said, I did enjoy the Business Class seat which is so much better than BA’s Club Europe and check in was smooth, quick and friendly.

Currently at PEN for the return flight - hoping for the satay that others have mentioned but expecting the baguette again!