Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines new 737-800

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Malaysia Airlines new 737-800

It looks like MH is now flying 737-800 on the KUL/BKK route.

Can someone confirm this? Has anyone flown this new plane? Is it a leased 737-800 such as they used to fly on the MNL route or a real NEW 737-800 with NEW interior?

How are the C class seats if anyone knows.

Thank you.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Not sure if the new 738 or leased ones are flying as they 738 seem to be freely rotated throughout the route network.

I just flew 9M-MLG today and from what I could tell, there are 16 JCL seats with IFE installed.(Headphone jacks only). I am quite sure the plane was equipped with drop down screens even though it wasn't deployed.

For the new 738, 9M-MX_ series, there will be fold out PTV with AVOD in JCL.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Thank you.

I realise that the 737-800 will be deployed on BKK route later this year (I was looking at dates in August), so it may be prematrue to ask.

From what you are saying, the new 737-800 will have proper business class equipment (shell seats?, AVOD etc.).
Old May 2, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Judging by the pics on airliners.net, the Business Class seats on MH's new 738's are not shell seats like on the 777's and 744's. They look like recliners. MH.com indicates that Business Class pitch on the new birds is a generous 42" and the seats have leg rests. Compare that to 37-38" for domestic first class in the U.S., which is roughly the pitch MH has in J on its existing 734 fleet.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Thank you.

I realise that the 737-800 will be deployed on BKK route later this year (I was looking at dates in August), so it may be prematrue to ask.

From what you are saying, the new 737-800 will have proper business class equipment (shell seats?, AVOD etc.).
Even in August its hard to tell if the leased ones or new 738s are going to operate. Take for example, Bangalore, it gets a mix of the leased and new 738. So I doubt they differentiate between the new and leased on when it comes to route planning. Really depends on your luck.

Judging from pictures, definitely not shell seats. Similar to Garuda or Jet Airways JCL seat on the 738. Cradle seats. AVOD yes.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

OK for craddle seats then

Last time I flew 737-800 was from MNL and they had NO biz class seats. Only blocked the middle seat.

Would the leased birds have proper business class seats now?
Old May 2, 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
OK for craddle seats then

Last time I flew 737-800 was from MNL and they had NO biz class seats. Only blocked the middle seat.

Would the leased birds have proper business class seats now?
I believe those 738 have since gone to their subsidiary Firefly. MLA & MLB I think.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:10 am

MH has two types of 737-800s. One (old style livery) is also old style. No in flight entertainment. Biz class are 2-2 not 3-3 with middle seats empty. No in flight power. The others are the new livery - biz is still normal recliners but slightly more room than the older 737-400s. All seats (econ and biz) have in seat screens with VOD.

They seem to interchange both types (e.g. KUL-MNL-KUL) have not worked out yet how to tell which of the two is flying.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
BKK to KUL 737-800

I was on this flight in C. The service was good. No head phones were available from MH. If you did not have any you just looked at the screen. Avoid the last row. Limited recline. The foot rest was pretty useless. Food for the short sector was so so. The "hot" Malaysian would guess coffee drink was excellent. I am not a coffee person but liked it. Video content was good. The initial screen I was on showed limited content but after going to the home screen you get more access. Blanket available on request. The seat width even in C is also so so with the controller sticking into your thigh. Was expecting more comfortable. The MH Lounge is not well marked in terminal C. Upon arrival in the train system it will be above and behind you. The Lounge continues to be nice. Off for the next leg.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:36 am

Economy

Does anyone know whether the new 737-800s of Malaysian have decent room in the window seats? Or they as bad as the window seats on an A320? As a wide-shouldered man, I just about go mental and die when I am forced to sit in a window seat on a 320.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Traveladdict69
Does anyone know whether the new 737-800s of Malaysian have decent room in the window seats? Or they as bad as the window seats on an A320? As a wide-shouldered man, I just about go mental and die when I am forced to sit in a window seat on a 320.
Sounds like you just need to book an aisle seat everytime you fly.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Would anyone know what type of Business to expect on the 737-800 serving RGN?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Has anyone flown the KUL-MLE flight on this bird?

SQ cancelled their daytime flight and I have to decide whether to get to MLE twelve hours late (and miss a day at the Park Hyatt) on SQ J or switch to MH via KUL and not miss a day but ride a 738 in J instead of SQ's plane.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by beachfan

SQ cancelled their daytime flight and I have to decide whether to get to MLE twelve hours late (and miss a day at the Park Hyatt) on SQ J or switch to MH via KUL and not miss a day but ride a 738 in J instead of SQ's plane.
MH176 operates with either the ML-series birds or the MX-series birds. Only the later registered ML birds have the new seats whereas all MX-series birds are fitted with them. All down to luck really.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan

I have flown twice return trip in Dec 2012 and June 2013. Out of 4 flight, only 1 turn to be the new 737-8 which comes with personal LCD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.