Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Anyone know when the next MH sale will come along?

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life

I know MH sales aren't like they used to be, but I need to book a number of sectors within South and South East Asia in the next few weeks, and am hoping there may be some deals on offer. Does anyone have any idea when the next sale may be launched? I note that from the origins I've been looking at BKK/KUL/DEL there doesn't seem to have been anything in the last few months.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Enrich
There is a new year deals right now, you get about 5~8% during the peak travel date and time based on my search. But usually I do not trust them much on this advertisement.

However, you can pay attention to MH site during weekend for VISA discount. Lately they have VISA discount during weekend such that you can get up to 20%. However, sometimes only the Malaysia site is available which requires departure from Malaysia's airport, sometimes is SG/AUS/UK site available which requires departure from SG/AUS/UK.

Normally the VISA discount website will be looked like https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/visa

I managed to took some advantage to book a few SIN/KUL flight, and at least save me about 30 to 50SGD each RT, which usually cost about 250SGD for my travel date and time.

And of course, you must have visa card to enjoy the discount
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I had noticed that fares on some routes e.g. BKK-DEL-BKK are generally about 5-8% less when checked over the weekend. If the Visa reduces the price by a further 10-20% then this may be the way to go. However I'm still hoping that there will be a proper sale soon with discounts of 20-25% off business class fares
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
I had noticed that fares on some routes e.g. BKK-DEL-BKK are generally about 5-8% less when checked over the weekend. If the Visa reduces the price by a further 10-20% then this may be the way to go. However I'm still hoping that there will be a proper sale soon with discounts of 20-25% off business class fares
The non-sale fares can be super cheap.

Picked up a KL-AUSTRALIA fare return biz for RM 4K not on sale just last week.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:21 pm

I think MY fares are generally cheaper than others into the region, except maybe Finnair, but these might be route specific
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:06 am

Currently there is a offer for Maybank credit card user, up to 30%. On facebook MH did announce weekend visa card discount up to 20%. Since the url is linked to Malaysia MH, I believe it would requires departure from Malaysia, which is similar to the visa promo they had last month.

Can give a check on the discount tomorrow and Sunday
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: NZ
I am anticipating a sale for Chinese New Year ... next week. But I could be wrong!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by dici
Currently there is a offer for Maybank credit card user, up to 30%. On facebook MH did announce weekend visa card discount up to 20%. Since the url is linked to Malaysia MH, I believe it would requires departure from Malaysia, which is similar to the visa promo they had last month.

Can give a check on the discount tomorrow and Sunday
They are up to that amount off full fare classes.

Basically a fake discount for most ppl
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
They are up to that amount off full fare classes.

Basically a fake discount for most ppl
ya, but for me it is a good deal, since I always had to fly at Friday evening-Sunday noon-evening for go home trip, which mean deals never happens. Then I found the visa 20% discount become very handy in this case.

If your travel date is flexible then can wait and serve for good deal when they provides a huge promo
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by dici
ya, but for me it is a good deal, since I always had to fly at Friday evening-Sunday noon-evening for go home trip, which mean deals never happens. Then I found the visa 20% discount become very handy in this case.

If your travel date is flexible then can wait and serve for good deal when they provides a huge promo
So MH is discounting a ticket they otherwise don't need to discount? Seems like a smart business! :-)

I booked a KUL-SIN trip under the Visa 20% promo, but the price was IDENTICAL to the non-Visa promo price. T&C said it was 3-20% discount depending on fare class but in reality, there was no difference to the checkout-price.

That's what I like about MH - perpetually on sale, massively discounting premium seats for no obvious reason. For all of their shortcomings, I get over it because of the crazy low fares and endless loopholes.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by d00t
So MH is discounting a ticket they otherwise don't need to discount? Seems like a smart business! :-)

I booked a KUL-SIN trip under the Visa 20% promo, but the price was IDENTICAL to the non-Visa promo price. T&C said it was 3-20% discount depending on fare class but in reality, there was no difference to the checkout-price.
The 7pm and 9pm+ flight from SIN to KUL is always at least 90% full due to it serves as connecting flight to SYD, NRT and LHR. So you hardly get economy promo, even the cheapest economy smart was always 165SGD+. But based on my travel distance to airport, this is the most convenient flight for me to go home. Off from work at 6pm, 7pm reach airport, had a dinner in the not so great SATS lounge, then head for departure.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Received an email from MH on Thursday that said

Something big is coming this weekend that you just don’t want to miss! To give you a little sneak peek, we have great offers on fares, huge discounts, and you’ll even stand to win free upgrades and exclusive prizes.
Offers begin from 15 Mar 2019 onwards, so sign up for our newsletter today to unlock these awesome deals.

Anyone seen sight of these wonderful offers
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
In the business news there are stories about whether MH is even viable as an airline any longer
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RTWFF
In the business news there are stories about whether MH is even viable as an airline any longer
There's a topic on this board covering this.
Conclusion: while not profitable yet, MH won't be shut down anytime soon.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
Received an email from MH on Thursday that said

Something big is coming this weekend that you just don’t want to miss! To give you a little sneak peek, we have great offers on fares, huge discounts, and you’ll even stand to win free upgrades and exclusive prizes.
Offers begin from 15 Mar 2019 onwards, so sign up for our newsletter today to unlock these awesome deals.

Anyone seen sight of these wonderful offers
I assume this refers to the MATTA fares for travel ex Malaysia? If so they’re not competitive at all. Big yawn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.