Search

Landing music

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:14 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Landing music

Quick first world problem rant here, so bear with me

Flew MH727 from KUL to CGK a few nights ago. It being a flight departing 22:15 and arriving 23:15, one would reasonably expect most passengers to sleep. Being the lucky people we were, we ended up on 9M-MLK the supposedly 8 year old 737 with a curiously dated cabin, and broken seats (and broken leg rests in J). As with much of the ML* fleet, there isn't any IFE installed. On boarding crew played some Malaysian pop-esque music (usual on 737s), though this one had some more nationalistic lyrics than I'm used to in the past. After boarding, the safety video was played, when the crew decided it was a good idea to turn up the volume by around 50% making sure that no one couldn't possibly block out the sound from their ears.

Now what bothered me is that they played the music again 30 minutes before landing during the descent. I proceeded to sleep after the taxi only to be waken by the same 3-song music played at the same loud volume. I felt like I was in a dire, patriotic nightclub, given the loud music and dimmed lights. Needless to say, many others who also slept were also awaken, confused. The words "CINTA MALAYSIA, CINTA MALAYSIA" got stuck in my head until the next day.

rant done

Now reasonably speaking, I'm quite used to music played on landing, but not at this volume. How is this even allowed?? I'd like to say that I travel with MH relatively often, flying 20 flights each year at the very very least, but never have I been so annoyed. Usually the Malaysian acoustic soundtrack played is played at a low volume, giving a homely, cozy, hometown feeling, but this one did not have the same effect. And I don't recall music usually being played during the descent on MH (unlike on CX). Now, I love MH and Malaysia in general, but this flight was pretty awful.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Quick first world problem rant here, so bear with me

Flew MH727 from KUL to CGK a few nights ago. It being a flight departing 22:15 and arriving 23:15, one would reasonably expect most passengers to sleep. Being the lucky people we were, we ended up on 9M-MLK the supposedly 8 year old 737 with a curiously dated cabin, and broken seats (and broken leg rests in J). As with much of the ML* fleet, there isn't any IFE installed. On boarding crew played some Malaysian pop-esque music (usual on 737s), though this one had some more nationalistic lyrics than I'm used to in the past. After boarding, the safety video was played, when the crew decided it was a good idea to turn up the volume by around 50% making sure that no one couldn't possibly block out the sound from their ears.

Now what bothered me is that they played the music again 30 minutes before landing during the descent. I proceeded to sleep after the taxi only to be waken by the same 3-song music played at the same loud volume. I felt like I was in a dire, patriotic nightclub, given the loud music and dimmed lights. Needless to say, many others who also slept were also awaken, confused. The words "CINTA MALAYSIA, CINTA MALAYSIA" got stuck in my head until the next day.

rant done

Now reasonably speaking, I'm quite used to music played on landing, but not at this volume. How is this even allowed?? I'd like to say that I travel with MH relatively often, flying 20 flights each year at the very very least, but never have I been so annoyed. Usually the Malaysian acoustic soundtrack played is played at a low volume, giving a homely, cozy, hometown feeling, but this one did not have the same effect. And I don't recall music usually being played during the descent on MH (unlike on CX). Now, I love MH and Malaysia in general, but this flight was pretty awful.
Funny, I had the music played during landing as well several times last week...
Maybe a new initiative.. Not as loud as in your case though. Just ask them to tune it down?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Noticed the same on my recent flight from HKG. Was so loud it woke up my children who were sleeping.
Also noticed the last bunch of flights have endless cabin announcements which mean no ability to relax, sleep, watch IFE or do anything semi-productive.

I'm 8000% sure that nobody at MH has ever flown other airlines to know how to make an enjoyable in-flight experience.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: Enrich
So far I haven't notice this, but I had only an experience on a younger crew lead in business class to Kathmandhu, which end up quick a bad experience. However, after that all the short haul between SIN/KUL in both J and Y was not bad.

They used to have survey email after the trip, but seems like no more... normally I will just hit the complaint email in the feedback
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Funny, I had the music played during landing as well several times last week...
Maybe a new initiative.. Not as loud as in your case though. Just ask them to tune it down?
(bolding for emphasis mine)

I think it is some sort of a new direction from the management, as music was also played during landing(as opposed to descent) on my connection on MH122 from Sydney, though at a far lower volume.

Unfortunately, crew were already instructed to be seated by then.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d00t
Noticed the same on my recent flight from HKG. Was so loud it woke up my children who were sleeping.
Also noticed the last bunch of flights have endless cabin announcements which mean no ability to relax, sleep, watch IFE or do anything semi-productive.

I'm 8000% sure that nobody at MH has ever flown other airlines to know how to make an enjoyable in-flight experience.
I agree about the announcements. And every time the crew makes a loud announcement in the middle of a red eye that the captain has turned on the seatbelt sign is particularly bothersome. To add, the frequent inflight wifi, mobile, and shopping pop-ups on the IFE screen on the A350s is also very annoying.

At least, in my observation, I saw a significant improvement in food quality recently.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:45 am

I agree about the announcements. And every time the crew makes a loud announcement in the middle of a red eye that the captain has turned on the seatbelt sign is particularly bothersome. To add, the frequent inflight wifi, mobile, and shopping pop-ups on the IFE screen on the A350s is also very annoying.

At least, in my observation, I saw a significant improvement in food quality recently.
Inflight catering ex-KL is a ....ing joke. Does not even qualify to be called food.

There is so much wrong with this airline.....
- a330 IFE screens turn on after every 2minute interval announcement, lighting up the entire cabin until you OFF the screen.
- Unnecessary spraying on BOTH inbound and outbound sectors to Mysia
- Lounges which are branded by other companies
- Not honouring Oneworld commitments by giving express pass to Sapphire members (only giving to Enrich Gold, which is against OW rules)
- Constant fare errors which result in deeply discounted tickets (bad for airline - great for me!)
- Always run out of satay on a330 biz class
- Rarely any policing of priority boarding
- I've been kicked out of bassinet seats with an infant, by ground staff who put their friends in bulkheads
- De-premifying the airline (selling pyjamas onboard, selling lounge access, selling upgrades to biz suites in cash for less than the enrich miles equivalent (thus devaluing the cimb enrich card)
....... the list goes on...this airline is on a race to the bottom

Only reason I fly them is they're cheap as chips and always on sale. Probably explains why they don't make a profit.

Last edited by d00t; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:50 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Inflight catering ex-KL is a ....ing joke. Does not even qualify to be called food.

There is so much wrong with this airline.....
- a330 IFE screens turn on after every 2minute interval announcement, lighting up the entire cabin until you OFF the screen.
- Unnecessary spraying on BOTH inbound and outbound sectors to Mysia
- Lounges which are branded by other companies
- Not honouring Oneworld commitments by giving express pass to Sapphire members (only giving to Enrich Gold, which is against OW rules)
- Constant fare errors which result in deeply discounted tickets (bad for airline - great for me!)
- Always run out of satay on a330 biz class
- Rarely any policing of priority boarding

- I've been kicked out of bassinet seats with an infant, by ground staff who put their friends in bulkheads
- De-premifying the airline (selling pyjamas onboard, selling lounge access, selling upgrades to biz suites in cash for less than the enrich miles equivalent (thus devaluing the cimb enrich card)
....... the list goes on...this airline is on a race to the bottom

Only reason I fly them is they're cheap as chips and always on sale. Probably explains why they don't make a profit.
I agree thoroughly with some of your points, which I have highlighted. Priority boarding is definitely problematic, especially in the nightmare that is the KUL holding pens. And yes, there always appears to be less satay catered these days, which is disappointing.

But mate, the food isn't that bad. I've definitely had some worse catering out of other hubs, CMB, DPS, and not to say HKG, to name a few. But food quality doesn't seem to be very consistent, and YMMV in my experience. So I'd say it is bad in the sense that it's rather inconsistent, though I personally noticed an improvement from the poor food quality I had a few months ago. In particular the Malaysian options are consistently good in my experience.

Whereas to spraying, that isn't something that MH decides, as it is decided by the Kastam Diraja Malaysia, and spraying on outbound really depends where you're flying to.

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by the lounges being branded by other companies, but thus far, I think the lounges in KL is quite okay, and the F side restaurant and service is really quite good in my experience. Furnishing and design isn't Cathay's The Pier, but service in the F side is often proactive and very friendly.

With IFE screens, I've had the same problem with CX and QR and I agree it is absolutely obnoxious, though MH is definitely not alone in this one. Finally, as with giving extra benefits to their own elites, I don't exactly think that "express passes" or priority security et al are part of the agreement for Sapphire members and I don't see how this breaks the OW agreement, but airlines are sure free to give extra benefits to their own elites. CX for instance, gives lounge access to their Silver (OWR) members.

but overall, MH is indeed not in its current form, like the airline it once was during its days of glory.

Happy New Year
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:29 am

I agree thoroughly with some of your points, which I have highlighted. Priority boarding is definitely problematic, especially in the nightmare that is the KUL holding pens. And yes, there always appears to be less satay catered these days, which is disappointing.

But mate, the food isn't that bad. I've definitely had some worse catering out of other hubs, CMB, DPS, and not to say HKG, to name a few. But food quality doesn't seem to be very consistent, and YMMV in my experience. So I'd say it is bad in the sense that it's rather inconsistent, though I personally noticed an improvement from the poor food quality I had a few months ago. In particular the Malaysian options are consistently good in my experience.

Whereas to spraying, that isn't something that MH decides, as it is decided by the Kastam Diraja Malaysia, and spraying on outbound really depends where you're flying to.
Cathay, for example - spraying is only inbound to Malaysia. What about other airlines?

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by the lounges being branded by other companies, but thus far, I think the lounges in KL is quite okay, and the F side restaurant and service is really quite good in my experience. Furnishing and design isn't Cathay's The Pier, but service in the F side is often proactive and very friendly.
Spritzer, Oris, Sony branding all over the KL lounges.

With IFE screens, I've had the same problem with CX and QR and I agree it is absolutely obnoxious, though MH is definitely not alone in this one. Finally, as with giving extra benefits to their own elites, I don't exactly think that "express passes" or priority security et al are part of the agreement for Sapphire members and I don't see how this breaks the OW agreement, but airlines are sure free to give extra benefits to their own elites. CX for instance, gives lounge access to their Silver (OWR) members.
Oneworld mandates that if you offer a benefit to your own program tier, the corresponding OW tier needs the same entitlement. So for example, Enrich Plat have free seat selection, and therefore it has to be extended to OW Emerald. MH has decided not to give express immigration slips to OW Sapphire but is giving to their own Gold members.
The CX exmaple is different as it's a defined benefit of the tier. MH makes no mention that benefits in their tiers. I use these passes on a monthly basis ex-KL and it must have been a very recent policy change because since about November I've been told "no".

but overall, MH is indeed not in its current form, like the airline it once was during its days of glory.

Happy New Year
Can't say I ever flew MH back in it's glory days, but I do compare it to every other premium airline in the market. I guess that's what they're aiming for? Premium carrier?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Cathay, for example - spraying is only inbound to Malaysia. What about other airlines?

Spritzer, Oris, Sony branding all over the KL lounges.

Oneworld mandates that if you offer a benefit to your own program tier, the corresponding OW tier needs the same entitlement. So for example, Enrich Plat have free seat selection, and therefore it has to be extended to OW Emerald. MH has decided not to give express immigration slips to OW Sapphire but is giving to their own Gold members.
The CX exmaple is different as it's a defined benefit of the tier. MH makes no mention that benefits in their tiers. I use these passes on a monthly basis ex-KL and it must have been a very recent policy change because since about November I've been told "no".

Can't say I ever flew MH back in it's glory days, but I do compare it to every other premium airline in the market. I guess that's what they're aiming for? Premium carrier?
Strange, I've only had spraying on the outbound from Malaysia when flying into Australia, but not anywhere else.

As to Spritzer, Oris etc branding, I don't quite see it, at least in the F side. Granted, I haven't seen the J side of the lounge (should that be where all the branding appears), but even so I don't recall seeing any of these branding since the renovation of the lounges even in the J lounges.

Finally, I don't think MH is going for being a premium airline anymore unfortunately. Full service it definitely is, but not quite premium. Rather than compare it to the likes of SQ, QR, JL or even CX, I'd compare it more to something more like RJ or even UL. Full service, but not quite premium. I think these days MH seem to focus on just surviving and being a bit of a middle market airline, or perhaps upper-middle rather than fully premium, as evident from their choices in hardware and such. Just my opinion though...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Enrich

For IFE, I have mixed feeling after tried out QR B787, since they have similar equipment as MH A330 and B737 series. I would say they need to hire a better software and interface design team, because the interface cause the IFE less responsive. QR B787 IFE response very well in both touch and controller. But MH A380 IFE equipment does provide a good responsive on touch. I haven't tried either A350 or ex-berlin A330-200 yet...

Strange, I've only had spraying on the outbound from Malaysia when flying into Australia, but not anywhere else.
Actually inbound to Malaysia has been mandatory spray since last year. I believe after the Zika case. The main reason is the neighbor country such as Singapore has been unable to control any Dengue or Zika spread. Last year my area had at least 90 case with fatality of 4, so close to about 5%

For lounge pass, it has been practice for many major airlines... even JAL you could get lounge access with economy class (by Y flexi) without elite status or extra payment. But I don't think many would bite on the lounge pass except for due to special need, since having a meal in old town is cheaper
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dici
For IFE, I have mixed feeling after tried out QR B787, since they have similar equipment as MH A330 and B737 series. I would say they need to hire a better software and interface design team, because the interface cause the IFE less responsive. QR B787 IFE response very well in both touch and controller. But MH A380 IFE equipment does provide a good responsive on touch. I haven't tried either A350 or ex-berlin A330-200 yet...

Actually inbound to Malaysia has been mandatory spray since last year. I believe after the Zika case. The main reason is the neighbor country such as Singapore has been unable to control any Dengue or Zika spread. Last year my area had at least 90 case with fatality of 4, so close to about 5%

For lounge pass, it has been practice for many major airlines... even JAL you could get lounge access with economy class (by Y flexi) without elite status or extra payment. But I don't think many would bite on the lounge pass except for due to special need, since having a meal in old town is cheaper
Hmm I find QR's 788 IFE to be pretty laggy, and it's quite the same with MH in my opinion. But the MH A350 definitely has an improved IFE speed (similar case with QR's A350).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.