Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

seat assignment for one world sapphire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I am flying bkk-kul in economy. AFAICT all advance seat assignments require payment - is there any possibility of complimentary seat assignment due to one world status?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
No luck my friend.

Only Emerald get 'standard seat' selection.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
I think its possible to select 72hrs ahead.. i just did mine, the system no longer prompts a fee for seat selection.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:08 am
Original Poster

thanks - when I called the agent had no idea, thought "maybe" I could select a seat 48 hours out ;(
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by estnet
thanks - when I called the agent had no idea, thought "maybe" I could select a seat 48 hours out ;(
MH is basically a cookie-cutter low-cost airline these days.

If you want the perks - you're much better off flying Air Asia and ticking all the upsell boxes.
It will come out to a similar cost as MH, but you'll get the best of everything (priority boarding, seating, bags, lounge etc..)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yep, I was surprised by this also, and asked same question here a while back. However, I like MH, and choose them over low cost airlines generally. I usually fly alone, but I can see it adding up for a family etc.

Plus side, the legroom is generally good, and I am 6ft 3.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Enrich
They remove the free seat selection for OW ruby, sapphire since sometimes mid last year. I was initially able to do free seat selection when I was OW ruby until some day, after they revamp the website and booking system. But well you know the CEO come from where during that time...

But they do have a learning algorithm in the booking system if you fly frequently. I used to choose aisle seat when I don't have any status, so the system would automatically give me aisle when I check in until I change it manually. But recently I choose window seat all the time since I have priority boarding, and now the system would automatically assign me any available window seat during check in.

For legroom, their 737 economy I would say only fair since is 31". A330 would be around 32", A380 does has a very good legroom. But the extra legroom in economy class is definitely a steal.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dici
They remove the free seat selection for OW ruby, sapphire since sometimes mid last year. I was initially able to do free seat selection when I was OW ruby until some day, after they revamp the website and booking system. But well you know the CEO come from where during that time...

But they do have a learning algorithm in the booking system if you fly frequently. I used to choose aisle seat when I don't have any status, so the system would automatically give me aisle when I check in until I change it manually. But recently I choose window seat all the time since I have priority boarding, and now the system would automatically assign me any available window seat during check in.

For legroom, their 737 economy I would say only fair since is 31". A330 would be around 32", A380 does has a very good legroom. But the extra legroom in economy class is definitely a steal.
Ah..... that explains why my memory thought that I was able to get seat assignments before Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Is there any OW rule for seat reservation? Should it be a standard benefit for OWS?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by SLGO
Is there any OW rule for seat reservation? Should it be a standard benefit for OWS?
The rule is that whatever is offered to the home airlines members at that level - needs to be offered to the Oneworld equivalent.

So in the example of MH - Enrich Gold members don't get free seat selection, and therefore, OWS doesn't either.

So basically it's up to the airline how they want to handle it. There is nothing stopping all Oneworld carriers from charging for all seats to all tiers of membership!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting. I have wondered about this before. Clears it up, Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Programless
Originally Posted by d00t
The rule is that whatever is offered to the home airlines members at that level - needs to be offered to the Oneworld equivalent.

So in the example of MH - Enrich Gold members don't get free seat selection, and therefore, OWS doesn't either.

So basically it's up to the airline how they want to handle it. There is nothing stopping all Oneworld carriers from charging for all seats to all tiers of membership!
On my recent flight with CX Economy, i was able to select a free emex seat with MH gold status.

P.S it's a pity that MH Gold Members can't even select free seats before OLCI on MH itself whereelse on CX i was able to do so weeks before. They need to wake up their idea at Enrich. Priorities set wrongly
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Enrich
BA also does not provide free seat selection during booking. AA only give free seat selection for certain routes. It is up to airlines
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ephlong
On my recent flight with CX Economy, i was able to select a free emex seat with MH gold status.
CX must allow their Gold/OWS seat selection.

P.S it's a pity that MH Gold Members can't even select free seats before OLCI on MH itself whereelse on CX i was able to do so weeks before. They need to wake up their idea at Enrich. Priorities set wrongly
Totally agree with you, however, the top management at MH think otherwise. My insider sources tell me that Enrich had many battles and were advocating for free seat selection for all status members.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by d00t
CX must allow their Gold/OWS seat selection.
Indeed, CX allows free seat selection for OW Ruby/ CX Silver/ MH Silver members.

Originally Posted by dici
BA also does not provide free seat selection during booking. AA only give free seat selection for certain routes. It is up to airlines
BA allows free seat selection at the time of booking for OWS and OWE, and OWR T-7 days before departure. Despite that, it is ridiculous that they charge for Club/Business Class seat selection when flying without status.

AA has free seat selection for OWR, OWS, and OWE, where OWS and OWE have free selection of MCE/Economy Plus seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.