Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH to axe First Class, rebrand and reposition as Business Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH to axe First Class, rebrand and reposition as Business Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nov11
Technically MH is right. It remained, just that P is now a revenue bucket instead of an award bucket. There are P fares filed for SYD/NRT/ICN etc. Only MH has made changes to awarding miles to P class (IB has always awarded miles for P class). P now earns 175% on MH Enrich (along with C/D classes). F/A still earns 250%.
The new P fares are very competitive. IF product and service stays the same, for most business travelers shelling the extra Ringgits to fly First Class will be no brainer.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:23 pm

P now earns 175% on MH Enrich (along with C/D classes). F/A still earns 250%.
Currently would earn 0 with other partner FFPs... wonder if OW partners will update their earning tables.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Future of F Check-in Counters @ KUL?

I wonder what will happen to the previous F Check-In at KUL? As an OWE I have always appreciated it with it's minimal lines and helpful staff..
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
My own KUL-SYD now shows MHupgrade bids to business suite instead of first. The bad news? Same recommended price, same minimum bids (415 and 360 USD) respectively...
Surprisingly enough, the purser on board MH367 from Taipei today informed me about this one when I told him I would fly the 350 to Sydney next month. I am now in KUL at the First lounge and just asked the lounge reception and the supervisor who confirmed that they just renamed the product, but it remains officially a first class product - so you will have to pay extra to get seats in row 1. When I look at my booking for SYD next month, I can see that the row 1 is not even represented on the seat map, although the aircraft is still an Airbus 350-900. I used to be able to bid for an upgrade to first class, but now, I can upgrade for the "business suite" product using the MHUpgrade system for 360 USD minimum... So nothing has changed, besides a product rename...
Same thing for me as you TGFlyergirl !
Wonder about the points earnings for the "lucky" Business suites flyers...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wonder what will happen to the previous F Check-In at KUL? As an OWE I have always appreciated it with it's minimal lines and helpful staff..
It'll probably go along the lines of the F lounge. Same concept, different name.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
So it is almost the same F product, with no F lounge at ex port, and no redemption. That's the only things missing, is that correct?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
It'll probably go along the lines of the F lounge. Same concept, different name.
I was told that's the plan, everything branded with First Class will be rebranded as Business Suites, even the carpet at checkin counters!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
KUL FCL will be even quieter should they exclude OWE (8 seats each to ICN/NRT nightly, 4 to LHR/SYD/KIX nightly plus 4 to LHR/NRT during the day). That's less than 50 pax a day at the BSCL I highly doubt it though - MH charges a hefty amount for their FCL/BSCL access
Is it confirmed or generally known that a carrier like MH benefits financially from keeping an F lounge open that is open to OWEs? I've always wondered whether the fact that I can show up early for a cheap flight to Singapore and enjoy a very nice champagne and Bordeaux fuelled lunch with a marginal cost of 25-50% of my flight value is due to MH raking it in from BAEC paying for my F lounge entry.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
so apart from hardware, does anyone know what else is different between Business and Business Suites ? is the F&B now the same across these 2 cabins ? and what is the Miles/Sector earn rate on Suites ?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Enrich
They updated their chef on call menu here: https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/cn/...f-on-call.html

What I found both are the same. Actually if you book their ticket now, the sometimes the business suite ticket will be cheaper than business class stick lol.... I think just as most FT here mention, the purpose is for the justification by corporate such that only business class or lower can be booked.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by templar42
Is it confirmed or generally known that a carrier like MH benefits financially from keeping an F lounge open that is open to OWEs? I've always wondered whether the fact that I can show up early for a cheap flight to Singapore and enjoy a very nice champagne and Bordeaux fuelled lunch with a marginal cost of 25-50% of my flight value is due to MH raking it in from BAEC paying for my F lounge entry.
Over on the OW board, it is known that the operating carrier pays for lounge access, not FF status. So no savings for MH.

Last edited by headinclouds; Dec 14, 2018 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:26 am

MH's approach is similar to AA's rebranding of USA domestic flights. Those AA flights were called 1st class. In 2016, AA renamed those flights as 1st/business. They called it 1st class, but the booking inventory was business. So, one earned business class points. MH Enrich can call its 1st class a new name and treat it as first class for its members. I suspect that OW partners will revise their earning rates so that A/F on MH will be business class else where.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Over on the OW board, it is known that the operating carrier pays for lounge access, not FF status. So no savings for MH.
That is incorrect.

The operating carrier pays if pax in biz/first
The FFP pays if pax is in economy

In the example above, MH would charge BA if the pax is travelling in Y.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by d00t
That is incorrect.

The operating carrier pays if pax in biz/first
The FFP pays if pax is in economy

In the example above, MH would charge BA if the pax is travelling in Y.
According to posts #31 & 33 in this thread, Lounges - access, cost, who pays..., it is the operating carrier that pays.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by dici
Actually if you book their ticket now, the sometimes the business suite ticket will be cheaper than business class stick
The danger in that is the cheap business suite tickets book into P and until partner FFP’s remap the earnings - it will earn zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.