Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH to axe First Class, rebrand and reposition as Business Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH to axe First Class, rebrand and reposition as Business Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Well, to make it "easier" they swapped the 359 for a 333 on KUL-NRT yesterday and today, so anybody who was in first for the last few days of its existence got Business No-suites
(I know not likely related)
To be fair, flew the A350 twice, didn't see a single person in First... same with the A380s (but again, they need a significant refurb, all classes).

If this move does not include lower prices, not sure how much such a rebrand will help?

Anyway, interested to see what happens in ~5hrs!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is gonna fail spectacularly. Basically all has been said already: downgrade from First to Business Suites is a serious dent into outstation benefits and cabins need to be retrofitted. The A350 First seat was already the same as Business anyway but will still cost more.

Nope, Malaysia Airlines management clearly doesn't have a clue when it comes to premium travelers' demands (demonstrated for example by the alcohol policy in domestic lounge and short-haul flights) and this will prove to be costly for an already struggling carrier.

Foreign, knowledgeable management needs to be brought in to turn the tide.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

MH site updated. First class replaced with Business Suites

Introducing the Business Suite All business with a first class experience
I wonder if they were inspired by Qsuites...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I honestly think this is poorly thought out, though let's see how it is implemented.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 am

Im wondering what will happen to those booked in the old F? Nothing changes or are they able to rebook to another OW airlines?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Just looked all my own and colleagues bookings to LHR and SYD - all are still showing bids for upgrades to "F" and not Business Suite... prices as they were before also. Maybe not quite updated yet
My own KUL-SYD now shows MHupgrade bids to business suite instead of first. The bad news? Same recommended price, same minimum bids (415 and 360 USD) respectively...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by quinzinho
This is gonna fail spectacularly. Basically all has been said already: downgrade from First to Business Suites is a serious dent into outstation benefits and cabins need to be retrofitted. The A350 First seat was already the same as Business anyway but will still cost more.

Foreign, knowledgeable management needs to be brought in to turn the tide.
This is probably due to corporate contracts. I'd hope they did their research and concluded that most of their corporate contracts won't allow "First Class" but substitute that for "Business Suites", and it's all good to go even though it's booked in F/A (I can think of a few carriers that have F/A as a regular coach/business booking class).

IIRC, it was a foreign, knowledgeable management who introduced the no alcohol policy on flights below 3 hours
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: QF Plat VA Silver
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
My own KUL-SYD now shows MHupgrade bids to business suite instead of first. The bad news? Same recommended price, same minimum bids (415 and 360 USD) respectively...
Seeing the same thing on NRT-KUL.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Just checked pricing for KUL-LHR mid-March on MH4, having done the same prior to the overnight Flicking of the Switch:
  • Flexible Business Class – MYR12,168
  • Business Suites – MYR14,747
  • Flexible First Class (as available pre-Dec12) – MYR21,303
Interestingly, the second of Malaysia Airlines' two daily Airbus A350 Kuala Lumpur-London flights – MH2 – showed two of the four Business Suites selling markedly less than business class, at MYR16,247 versus MYR19,090.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat VA Silver
I wonder how long it will take Oneworld partners to update their earn rates..
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Check in branded as business suit this morning.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by AirbrushA380
I wonder how long it will take Oneworld partners to update their earn rates..
Why would Oneworld partners care? MH would be paying them the same unless the contract says otherwise.

Interesting product positioning from MH - but not much has been thought through from loyalty perspective (ie: lounge access, earn rates via codeshare).

Basically, MH seems to be taking a bet - decrease the ticket price without decreasing any of the associated costs, and hoping that fills more seats. That increase in seats also needs to cover the revenue loss from miles, change in overall member loyalty (ticket sales etc), first class lost revenue and loss of P class sales from OW partners.

Given that MH has turned their lounges into a shopping mall, I'm not surprised to see a cheapening of their onboard product.

Time will tell if it's a good move
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I was just playing around in Sabre, and I saw that while BusinessSuites are still coded as F class, the redemption saver bucket P has been eliminated and it has become a discounted fare for the cabin. As it stands, miles are not redeemable for that cabin anymore.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Interesting, as MH has told us all three classes - A, F and P - would remain...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Interesting, as MH has told us all three classes - A, F and P - would remain...
Technically MH is right. It remained, just that P is now a revenue bucket instead of an award bucket. There are P fares filed for SYD/NRT/ICN etc. Only MH has made changes to awarding miles to P class (IB has always awarded miles for P class). P now earns 175% on MH Enrich (along with C/D classes). F/A still earns 250%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.