Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Enrich
How is the airport tax for XSP? Fireflyz airfare between subang and changi was always way too high for me, unless I use it for domestic
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by dici
I used to take the SIN-SZB route, but some how their price become quite ridiculous during weekend.
Which I end up taking MAS, Malindo and Air Asia....
Same here, prices were very good a few years ago (e.g RM99 one way) but then in the last year or so, they upped the fares to double that.
But SZB location can't be beat. Getting to & from KLIA is a PITA.

Fares not loaded yet so we won't know the taxes at XSP
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
How is the airport tax for XSP? Fireflyz airfare between subang and changi was always way too high for me, unless I use it for domestic
$29 according to this article (from Nov 2018): https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...m-new-terminal
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
They have loaded the fares, still way too expensive at RM 450 return.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Enrich
I checked the august pricing, from subang to xsp is about rm 200, prices seems ok, but from xsp back to subang is at least rm 295 or so. For me the only issue is travel in/out from XSP to my home in Singapore, may only give a try if I need to go PJ area during noon period before I go back Singapore
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
Suspended

One could get Malindo for half the price into senai and if based in west and north probably rch faster.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:12 am

Only if there's no traffic on the Causeway or the 2nd Link bridge... and certainly not by bus. If so, you would still have to pay for transport to / from Singapore.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crackjack
Only if there's no traffic on the Causeway or the 2nd Link bridge... and certainly not by bus. If so, you would still have to pay for transport to / from Singapore.
Buses have dedicated lanes and work much better in peak hours, considering Singapore local buses also ply on the routes. Worst traffic conditions have been an hour, and mostly less than 20minutes. If you live in Jurong or woodlands senai is as good as Changi.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:13 am

I don't want to push this too far off topic, but....
A) This is about Seletar, so travel to/from is shorter than from Changi if in the north.
B) The bus from Senai to JB Sentral takes 40 minutes alone, then you have to switch / wait for the next bus.
C) Anywhere 5-8am Mon-Sat, you're lucky to get into Singapore within 60mins (yes, I've done the first 170 from Larkin before, took 2+hrs after getting in the CIQ queue). The Causeway might have 'dedicated' lanes, but no one bothers, and even then there are still more than enough buses going through to jam it all the way up - heck, people can and do actually walk across faster than the buses drive. The line for passengers to get on the the SBS / SMRT / CW buses at the SG side is normally 3-4 buses in length at that time once you clear SG customs. The same from ~5-8pm in the evenings for going back into JB, and Fridays, even via the Causeway, it gets stuck like that till 10pm+. And public holidays are bad all around. Again, it's a minimum 1hr from Senai via bus just getting through Woodlands Checkpoint, and if you hit traffic, much worse.

If you have the time and keep track of the peak periods or build in enough of a buffer, sure, Senai is an option if the scheduling works for you. But it will take at least 30mins extra (accounting for immigration at Seletar) via taxi - which will eat into any savings on the ticket - or 45min+ extra if by bus vs the flight into Seletar.

[EDIT](Well, I guess you can take Firefly to Senai too, so that's a wash).

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 15, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:09 am

And flights to Seletar from SZB have resumed:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...apore-11464544

This quote though...
ILS would have allowed pilots to land in all weather conditions, even when visibility is low. It had been put in place at the request of Firefly.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by crackjack
And flights to Seletar from SZB have resumed:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...apore-11464544

This quote though...
Yes, this is absolutely bizarre. Now, due to Malaysian stupidity, all these FY planes have to be retrofitted with GPS. And then to think FY is government owned..

Maybe the title of this topic could be updated now though?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Had to get my mother to Singapore early this week. All flights were fully booked Sunday and even Air Asa was sold out Monday southbound. FY was the only option and wasn't too bad for last minute (<24 hrs before) at ~MYR400. Supposed up to 6x daily SZB-XSP.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
A friend of a friend (hence I don't know if this is 100% correct) got rerouted from seletar to senai yesterday because of the heavy rains, low visibility, and no ILS. Supposedly firefly told them to make their own way to SG (and claim transport costs), or wait 3 hours for them to arrange land transport / transfers 🤔

Any way that I can validate this story independently?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by shuigao
A friend of a friend (hence I don't know if this is 100% correct) got rerouted from seletar to senai yesterday because of the heavy rains, low visibility, and no ILS. Supposedly firefly told them to make their own way to SG (and claim transport costs), or wait 3 hours for them to arrange land transport / transfers 🤔

Any way that I can validate this story independently?
Well there was indeed very heavy rain + thunderstorms yesterday late afternoon; I was in the midst of it.
This is all I can say though.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Verified- came here in sg news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.