Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by crackjack
I'm somewhat surprised Singapore hasn't just moved FY back to Changi in the interim, but I guess they've got no incentive to help a Malaysian carrier due to what they see it as unnecessary brinksmanship from Putrajaya's side. Seletar is really a pet project, helps shift lower-profit traffic away from their true money-maker, Changi.
They just can't, the slots at Changi have been taken by some other airlines. Seletar might seem like a pet project, but I don't think it helps FY case at all that turboprops take up two slots in SG (because of their climb speed, presumably), compared to one on normal jets.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
They just can't, the slots at Changi have been taken by some other airlines. Seletar might seem like a pet project, but I don't think it helps FY case at all that turboprops take up two slots in SG (because of their climb speed, presumably), compared to one on normal jets.
I didn't realise that Changi was already at full capacity (thought they should be able to manage at least in the short term, < 1 year), but the reason they're moving FY to Seletar is indeed to be able to bring more flights into Changi, so that would flow.

I guess "Pet project" is not the correct term... perhaps 'ancillary project'? I think we're agreeing here, that Seletar role looks to be to alleviate Changi's volumes, taking on lower-value traffic, something the planes' increased space requirements / the airport's opportunity cost contributes to?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lots of flights to SZB.... from Trengganu, Alor Setar, Penang, even Johor Bahru.
From Singapore, however, going to be a while longer... there's still no real movement from either side, even though the suspension agreement expires in 9 days.
I'm somewhat surprised Singapore hasn't just moved FY back to Changi in the interim, but I guess they've got no incentive to help a Malaysian carrier due to what they see it as unnecessary brinksmanship from Putrajaya's side. Seletar is really a pet project, helps shift lower-profit traffic away from their true money-maker, Changi.
Ermm right - I'm referring to SIN-SZB-SIN & SIN-IPH-SIN, these flights are life-savers for those wanting to avoid KLIA & esp. living in the PJ area.
Let's hope they resolve this in time for CNY 2020 - Scoot/TigerAir is charging $900+ r/t for the CNY 2020 Ipoh flights! & Air Asia hasn't even loaded their schedules yet for next year ...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:52 am

Firefly said that they are hoping to resume the flights from June 2019
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:36 pm

I didn't realise that Changi was already at full capacity (thought they should be able to manage at least in the short term, < 1 year), but the reason they're moving FY to Seletar is indeed to be able to bring more flights into Changi, so that would flow.

I guess "Pet project" is not the correct term... perhaps 'ancillary project'? I think we're agreeing here, that Seletar role looks to be to alleviate Changi's volumes, taking on lower-value traffic, something the planes' increased space requirements / the airport's opportunity cost contributes to?
I was also surprised to hear you say that Changi is at full capacity.... but your comment about turbo prop probably helps explain this to some extent
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Ermm right - I'm referring to SIN-SZB-SIN & SIN-IPH-SIN, these flights are life-savers for those wanting to avoid KLIA & esp. living in the PJ area.
Let's hope they resolve this in time for CNY 2020 - Scoot/TigerAir is charging $900+ r/t for the CNY 2020 Ipoh flights! & Air Asia hasn't even loaded their schedules yet for next year ...
I used to take the SIN-SZB route, but some how their price become quite ridiculous during weekend. Which I end up taking MAS, Malindo and Air Asia....
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I was also surprised to hear you say that Changi is at full capacity.... but your comment about turbo prop probably helps explain this to some extent
not really full full, but Changi is getting somewhat packed. Not sure if you realised, but now gate info only get released 60/90/120 (?) minutes before departure, whereas previously you'll never see the "gate info in x minutes" sign. also, the last time I was at T1 to get on QF1, the SIN-DME-ARN flight and some other SQ flights were boarding from the T1 gates there than from T3 - which was quite odd because I've never seen it before.

it's been ongoing for some time as well I think - you get SQ planes parked at T4 sometimes than taking up space at T1/2/3.

Also, not sure if coincidental or not - but when I was back in December, some Silkair and Scoot flights were boarded out of the bus gates formerly used by Firefly. I haven't had a bus gate flight at Changi before that except for Firefly - but I might be wrong about whether this is recent or not. Maybe Changi is not full in the runway sense, but it certainly is running out of aerobridge space.

Last edited by MeltingAlf; Mar 24, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:19 pm

not really full full, but Changi is getting somewhat packed. Not sure if you realised, but now gate info only get released 60/90/120 (?) minutes before departure, whereas previously you'll never see the "gate info in x minutes" sign. also, the last time I was at T1 to get on QF1, the SIN-DME-ARN flight and some other SQ flights were boarding from the T1 gates there than from T3 - which was quite odd because I've never seen it before.

it's been ongoing for some time as well I think - you get SQ planes parked at T4 sometimes than taking up space at T1/2/3.

Also, not sure if coincidental or not - but when I was back in December, some Silkair and Scoot flights were boarded out of the bus gates formerly used by Firefly. I haven't had a bus gate flight at Changi before that except for Firefly - but I might be wrong about whether this is recent or not. Maybe Changi is not full in the runway sense, but it certainly is running out of aerobridge space.
I'll be honest I hadn't noticed the buses when I use Changi. While I often fly through it, I also have Heathrow as a benchmark which is not saying much!!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
also, the last time I was at T1 to get on QF1, the SIN-DME-ARN flight and some other SQ flights were boarding from the T1 gates there than from T3 - which was quite odd because I've never seen it before.
This practice has been going on for quite a few years now. Some SQ flights do leave from the "border" gates in T1, usually C1/C20/D40. I've also arrived in T1 on an SQ flight before, though the ground staff were quite diligent in pointing passengers to the "correct" terminal for arrival procedures.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:08 am

Loke is not saying much, but at least *it appears they are trying to get to an outcome soonish....
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-soon-11397966

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 31, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:11 pm

Loke is not saying much, but at least there appears they are trying to get to an outcome soonish....
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-soon-11397966
Probably will be negotiating something out of it
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
They have had bus gates in T2 for ages. MH602 (the RON 6AM departure to KL) almost always gets them. Changi built bus gates in T2/T3/T4, though I don't think they have opened the T4 ones yet. Annoying, sure, but I think that's important spare capacity to absorb delays which might cause airbridges to be in use for longer than the plan.
As for runway capacity, it's close to full at peak hours, for sure. Just look at the departure queues and taxi times--they have noticeably increased over the past few years. After all, it's been a 2 runway operation for a long time, while building 2 new terminals...so obviously there's more movements in the same space.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:26 am

Well, that actually went quicker than expected, only 4+ months... https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...udang-11418642

Looks like Singapore had to give up on the 'ILS' system, but that means that Pasir Gudang is now open for flyovers for the northern approach.

This from the article is also interesting: "The statement by the transport ministers on Saturday said that a “high-level committee” has been set up to review the Operational Letter of Agreement between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore Area Control Centres Concerning Singapore Arrivals, Departures and Overflights 1974."

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 6, 2019 at 6:44 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:10 pm

Malaysian budget carrier Firefly to resume flights to Singapore on Apr 21
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian budget carrier Firefly will resume flights to Singapore on Apr 21, operating out of Seletar Airport, said Transport Minister Anthony Loke on Monday (Apr 8).
Meanwhile, Malindo Air, another Malaysian carrier, is also keen to fly to Seletar Airport and has approached airport authorities in Singapore for approval, he added.
The announcements come as Singapore and Malaysia on Monday agreed to work together to develop GPS-based instrument approach procedures for Seletar Airport, replacing the recently withdrawn Instrument Landing System (ILS) procedures.
Speaking at a joint press conference with Singapore Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan, Mr Loke expressed hope that there will be more air connectivity between both countries in future.
“I think this is so good for our cooperation and the way forward,” he said.
On his part, Mr Khaw said: “Both minister Loke and myself are looking forward to Firefly’s commencement of services at Seletar Airport."
Firefly suspended its flights to Singapore in December last year, after it was unable to obtain approval from Malaysia’s aviation regulator to move its operations from Changi Airport to Seletar Airport.
Changi Airport Group had earlier announced the move of turbo-prop operations to Seletar in a bid to optimise the use of resources at Changi.
Before the suspension, Firefly offered 20 daily flights between Singapore and Subang, Ipoh and Kuantan.
Singapore provides air traffic services over parts of southern peninsular Malaysia that is within the Kuala Lumpur Flight Information Region. This was an arrangement approved by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in 1973.
In December, Malaysia said it wanted to reclaim its "delegated airspace" in southern Johor, citing concerns over sovereignty and national interest.
It also raised concerns about the ILS procedures for Seletar Airport, saying that the flight path would impact developments and shipping operations at Johor's Pasir Gudang.
Singapore, in response, said that the ILS had simply put on paper the existing flight paths, making safety rules clearer and more transparent.
On Friday, Singapore withdrew the ILS procedures for Seletar Airport while Malaysia indefinitely suspended its permanent restricted area over Pasir Gudang.
A high-level committee has also been set up to review the existing airspace arrangement approved by ICAO, both transport ministers announced on Monday.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
So I'm still waiting for FY to start selling tickets from XSP (Seletar) .. after 4 months of waiting, I'd have thought they'd put those on sale as soon as the dispute was over. It's less than 2 weeks before they are supposed to start flying to Singapore (4/21)

Last edited by kaffir76; Apr 9, 2019 at 11:07 pm Reason: Start date 4/21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.