Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Firefly suspending all flights to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by Doppy
The flight is scheduled to land at 2pm on December 25. Would that be OK for traffic?

Is it possible to get a private transfer directly from Senai to a final destination in Singapore, or does one have to transfer along the way to cross the border?
For December 25, I'm not sure. For experience in Sunday, usually the crowd start turns in from 12noon in immigration. But for December 25, it might be moderate since there is a chance where most people would take a long break for christmas and new year. Just I could not guarantee on this.

For private transfer to Singapore, you can try sgmytaxi. Some said you can try to get a Singapore taxi over JB sentral. But since from Airport to JB sentral is about 30 minutes ride, I believe it might just worth to get a grab car or thru sgmytaxi website directly to your final destination. Just I don't have any experience in using sgmytaxi
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
I would not recommend private vehicle for crossing, the public buses use special lanes areamuch faster, and if you can manage it recommend taking the train from JB sentral.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I'll check out sgmytaxi.

I understand the points about bus and train transfers being faster, but it seems like the time savings at the border would have to be significant to make up for having to take three separate forms of transportation instead of one seat the whole way.
cowie likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Depending on which part of SG , CW and Transtar offer very convenient options, for those like me who prefer not being stuck on a bridge in the middle of exhaust pipes for hours.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:39 pm

Firefly announced that they were making arrangements for people travelling on their flights affected by this dispute? Have they advised you of anything yet?

25 Dec will likely be ridiculous. As it's an easy 'long weekend' for most, people who travelled to Malaysia from Singapore will all be trying to re-enter Singapore again. I remember Christmas ~10 years ago where this was a 4+hr ordeal... at the causeway.

I had thought Grabcar across the border was not possible, as Grab drivers are likely not licenced to ferry passengers across?

Licenced SG taxis can, but can only pick up (and drop off) at a certain point; it appears it is now at Larkin again? Similarly, licenced MY taxi's can only drop off at Queen Street in Singapore. Licenced private cars can as well, but no idea on those.

[Edit]Scratch that, Penang would be a 2.5hr trip minimum, no traffic...

Last edited by crackjack; Dec 16, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK I've been convinced to just take the late flight to SIN. Kind of wastes a day, but I took a look at train tickets for the border crossing and they're already sold out, which seems a bad sign.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
OK I've been convinced to just take the late flight to SIN. Kind of wastes a day, but I took a look at train tickets for the border crossing and they're already sold out, which seems a bad sign.
Yeah, the peak time train tickets to JB Sentral usually sell out within 30 minutes. KTM puts them online at 8:30am, 30 days in advance. By 8:31am, the site slows to a crawl as everyone rushes to buy them at the same time, and by 9am they're pretty much all gone. You'd think there'd be a better system...

Without a KTM train ticket to skip the causeway traffic, I would never risk flying from JHB, especially on weekends or peak commute times. It's just too unpredictable. There were reports of delays up to 8 hours this weekend: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...er-the-weekend
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually it turns out that I'm traveling on December 26, not 25. I'm back to considering flying into JHB again, arriving 14:30 and driving. KTM tickets for that time of day are still sold out.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been about a month since firefly had to suspend operations and my flight is in two days, and still no communication. What a crap airline - thank goodness I happened to check on the airport move myself or I would have been stuck.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Cool Update + mini rant ..

So I've been kinda lucky (I guess) - FY has re-booked my flights for next mth & Feb. to MH with similar flight times (& quite pro-actively, I must say)
This was communicated to me via email about 4-6 weeks before the travel date :

Dear Passenger,
Please be informed that Firefly have successfully moved you to Malaysia Airlines flight.
If you have made other arrangements,please call us at 03-78454543 or send an email to [email protected] for a refund.
Thank you.
Regards,
Firefly

Got this email on Fri. so I guess it's not gonna re-start anytime soon ..

RM0.00 Firefly had to suspend flights into SIN from 01Feb19 onwards. We have successfully moved you to Malaysia Airlines flight. Kindly check your email.

Because of the suspension, I have re-booked on SQ to travel together with my Mom on the same day in Jan.
And I was gonna change the travel date for my flight in Feb. anyway so I guess this worked out for me (i.e. no change fee)

I've emailed FY twice already to ask them to cancel my flights but have not gotten any replies from them yet. Looks like I'll have to give them a call sometime @ early Jan.

There was a last min. change of family plans & the biggest downside of this suspension is high fares between IPOH-SIN
AirAsia's new service (which I just found out about last week) has been increasing the fares for IPOH-SIN for the post CNY weekend period
When I checked less than week ago, it was RM655 (one way) but every 2-3 days it's gone up - RM855 then RM1085
Scoot/Tiger has always maintained their fares at RM1,100 - RM1,450 - that IMO is just gouging the customers

(I had minor surgery 2 weeks ago & was not able to complete the booking last week due to the pain/discomfort & very frequent visits to the hospital & clinic to clean & change the dressing esp. after it got infected - but heck yeah, if I had known this would happen I would have just bit the bullet & made the booking then)

The reality of LCC's ... when it's cheap, it's really cheap. But when they can make a quick buck - they take no prisoners!

And yes, I know we have a choice when we make travel plans but spending almost 1/2 a day to get from IPOH - KL SENTRAL then to KLIA to catch a flight back to SIN is just a big PITA.
Time that can be better spent with family on both sides of the Causeway.
But I guess that's what I'll be doing instead
And finally .. just FYI - SQ fares for KUL-SIN that weekend are RM 670 r/t
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
No communication from Firefly whatsoever. I booked the ticket directly on their website and they have my email address, and also charged me MYR2 at booking to send me SMS updates and nothing there either. It's really criminal, this could really strand someone at an airport with not a lot of options.
I'm deciding now whether to fly Scoot to SIN in the evening, which is several hours later than the Firefly flight, which is not a time I prefer, or a Malindo flight to JHB, which is close to the original time of the Firefly flight.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience - please let us know how things worked out for you.
But the suspension by the MYS authorities really did a number on their flight ops. & I can understand how over-whelming it is for them to re-book 1xx,000's of flights
And FYI - I've never paid RM2 for their silly SMS
By the way, I love the term "criminal"! It can also be applied to my experience, for sure ..

Originally Posted by dici
If you plan to fly to JHB, I would suggest avoid any flight that lets you reach the immigration between 5pm to 8pm, because this is the most disaster period for weekday. But for weekend, I would say it is better to fly by scoot.
If you have a luggage, and plan to bring some items, then I would also suggest directly fly to Singapore, because the Singapore custom in JB-Woodland is more strict than the airport, due to the reason that many Singaporeans go to JB for grocery shopping.
But anyway, call Firefly to get your money back too
This is good advice. Flying direct to SIN is always better & faster than transferring via JHB + the Causeway
Haven't been thru the Causeway in eons but I've been told that there are no auto-gates like at the airport & everyone has to be processed by an immigration officer.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaffir76
So I've been kinda lucky (I guess) - FY has re-booked my flights for next mth & Feb. to MH with similar flight times (& quite pro-actively, I must say)
This was communicated to me via email about 4-6 weeks before the travel date :

Dear Passenger,
Please be informed that Firefly have successfully moved you to Malaysia Airlines flight.
If you have made other arrangements,please call us at 03-78454543 or send an email to [email protected] for a refund.
Thank you.
Regards,
Firefly

Got this email on Fri. so I guess it's not gonna re-start anytime soon ..

RM0.00 Firefly had to suspend flights into SIN from 01Feb19 onwards. We have successfully moved you to Malaysia Airlines flight. Kindly check your email.

Because of the suspension, I have re-booked on SQ to travel together with my Mom on the same day in Jan.
And I was gonna change the travel date for my flight in Feb. anyway so I guess this worked out for me (i.e. no change fee)

I've emailed FY twice already to ask them to cancel my flights but have not gotten any replies from them yet. Looks like I'll have to give them a call sometime @ early Jan.

There was a last min. change of family plans & the biggest downside of this suspension is high fares between IPOH-SIN
AirAsia's new service (which I just found out about last week) has been increasing the fares for IPOH-SIN for the post CNY weekend period
When I checked less than week ago, it was RM655 (one way) but every 2-3 days it's gone up - RM855 then RM1085
Scoot/Tiger has always maintained their fares at RM1,100 - RM1,450 - that IMO is just gouging the customers

(I had minor surgery 2 weeks ago & was not able to complete the booking last week due to the pain/discomfort & very frequent visits to the hospital & clinic to clean & change the dressing esp. after it got infected - but heck yeah, if I had known this would happen I would have just bit the bullet & made the booking then)

The reality of LCC's ... when it's cheap, it's really cheap. But when they can make a quick buck - they take no prisoners!

And yes, I know we have a choice when we make travel plans but spending almost 1/2 a day to get from IPOH - KL SENTRAL then to KLIA to catch a flight back to SIN is just a big PITA.
Time that can be better spent with family on both sides of the Causeway.
But I guess that's what I'll be doing instead
And finally .. just FYI - SQ fares for KUL-SIN that weekend are RM 670 r/t
Think there are a few bus services direct to KLIA from Ipoh. The fares mentioned are outrageous and should be reported to mavcom.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ashkale
The fares mentioned are outrageous and should be reported to mavcom.
Supply and demand. Why should Mavcom intervene? They're not misleading/tricking customers into paying more than was agreed on.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Enrich
It is CNY, you had to pay OT for pilots. It has been never cheap for CNY travel.

Hari raya also very expensive for all airlines
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Supply and demand. Why should Mavcom intervene? They're not misleading/tricking customers into paying more than was agreed on.
Because it can be interpreted as price gouging and considered illegal in Malaysia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.