Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Class on Malaysia Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:34 pm

Ashkale, to be clear, ‘plating’ means that the fare itself is published by MH, but issued on QR’s / BA’s ticket stock?

I don’t understand the technical workings here, so is this not what happened in FlyingYan’s current situation?

i.e.: Is the ‘I’ fare from MH a published fare (offered via a partners’ ticket only) which was ticketed as part of the overall QR / BA tickets issued?
Or would this be considered as something else?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale
These tickets are NOT issued by MH, these are issued by BA/QR.The MH operated domestic or Asean sector books into MH plated I booking class, if these sectors are QR or BA plated they would earn regular miles.
Originally Posted by crackjack
Ashkale, to be clear, ‘plating’ means that the fare itself is published by MH, but issued on QR’s / BA’s ticket stock?

I don’t understand the technical workings here, so is this not what happened in FlyingYan’s current situation?

i.e.: Is the ‘I’ fare from MH a published fare (offered via a partners’ ticket only) which was ticketed as part of the overall QR / BA tickets issued?
Or would this be considered as something else?
You guys are confusing terms.
Plated is in reference to the carrier who issued the ticket. In OPs example this is BA or QR.
The fares on these tickets are BA or QR fares, issued on their lowest fare classes I or R, but neither of these buckets are used by MH for revenue fares. However, for the BA and QR fare to work, the MH marketed sector must be in I.
This is an anomaly, as no miles are issued to BA/QR/MH members on the MH I sector, despite this being a revenue sector.
The workaround is not to use those sectors, or as suggested above, credit them to a program that does (EK/LA/QF).
crackjack and minz56 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ubiest

You guys are confusing terms.
Plated is in reference to the carrier who issued the ticket. In OPs example this is BA or QR.
The fares on these tickets are BA or QR fares, issued on their lowest fare classes I or R, but neither of these buckets are used by MH for revenue fares. However, for the BA and QR fare to work, the MH marketed sector must be in I.
This is an anomaly, as no miles are issued to BA/QR/MH members on the MH I sector, despite this being a revenue sector.
The workaround is not to use those sectors, or as suggested above, credit them to a program that does (EK/LA/QF).
OR to get the sector on QR or BA plated but MH operated flights on those sectors. QR 4 digit flight numbers starting with 5..
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
It should read codeshare rather than plated.
As you correctly point out, if the MH operated were on BA/QR codeshares (BA/QR marketed), miles would be awarded. However, on BA fares there's no codeshares on MH interlines (and viceversa).
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
As a previous poster has noted above, I Class appears to be the fare bucket used when using the MHupgrade option on Malaysia, upgrading from Economy to Business. Normally, when upgrading, I would think that it would be reasonable to expect that points and miles are received for the originally ticketed class. But in my past experience on QR, flights where I have used MH Upgrade get no Qpoints and Qmiles. Is there a reasonable explanation for why this should be the case and miles and points could not be awarded for the originally ticketed Y fare?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:53 am

You did file a claim for the relevant miles, correct?

If so, only Qatar’s FFP staff could advise you on why they have not credited them to you. I have had all miles for the original fare classes credited to AAdvantage after making the retroactive claims.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a BA ticket from AMS out around SE Asia and back again.

It includes KUL - BKK on MH and BKK - HKG on CX. Both flights are booking class I, but only the CX leg awards tier points / Avios. I also have MH return from KUL - DPS, booked with MH in booking class Z, and this credits to BAEC as normal.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
In the end, "I" class on MH does not earn any frequent flyer points.
On MH "I" is used for redemption flights and upgrade bids. It is known that for some MH connections BA books in "I" class but it is completely unclear why as the only commercial fares are in J, C, D or Z class.
The "funny" thing is that if "I" class is not available (but J, C, D or Z are) the connection does not get into the more expensive bucket but reverts to a points earning Economy sector.

More on the BA board and my post nr 27.
Tier Points on Malaysia question

Globalist
crackjack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.