FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   MH/QR long connection questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1919438-mh-qr-long-connection-questions.html)

brbear Jul 11, 2018 9:25 pm

MH/QR long connection questions

I will possibly be connecting at KLIA from MH620 (SIN 16:35 --> KUL 17:45) to QR853 (KUL 02:50 --> DOH). Both fares are economy.

Will I be able to:

(1) check baggage through all the way, despite the long layover in KUL?

(2) access the MH lounge (as an MH Gold member) for all of the layover, or for only X hours prior to the QR flight?

Thanks a lot!

Zawnet Jul 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Yes, of course - to both your questions.

crackjack Jul 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by brbear (Post 29964622)
I will possibly be connecting at KLIA from MH620 (SIN 16:35 --> KUL 17:45) to QR853 (KUL 02:50 --> DOH). Both fares are economy.

Will I be able to:

(2) access the MH lounge (as an MH Gold member) for all of the layover, or for only X hours prior to the QR flight?

Thanks a lot!

1) Yes, OW partner. See thread here, particularly last post, as of Jan 2018: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mala...tickets-7.html

2) Not certain, but I think you should be fine. Don’t remember seeing any limits on access prior to a flight, though common sense would be that they’ll likely check for same calendar day or something like ~12hrs before An overnight transit stop...

brbear Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

Thanks a lot both for the reassurance!

kt74 Jul 12, 2018 2:52 am

Yes to both, but MH is not the designated lounge for QR J class pax (and the MH lounges are busy at 9pm before all their evening departures; and dire at 2am, when the aircon is turned down, bar is closed and cleaning starts); you may need to find a QR transfer desk to get an invite to the Plaza Premium First lounge (not to be confused with the larger Plaza Premium lounge) - it's much smaller, but at least you can get an a la carte meal and alcohol from the bar

Although tbf, with such a long layover, you may as well pop into the city to get a nice dinner somewhere (or lounge hop - don't forget there's CX too in the early evening - not particularly luxurious, but very peaceful after the last KA departure)

kaffir76 Jul 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Will I be able to:
Thanks a lot!

2) I was asked by the lounge staff to return approx. 4-5 hrs before my CX/KA flight last month when I had a long overnight layover in KUL.
He explained that as a 3rd party lounge to CX, that was the airline's policy. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was able to access the Plaza Premium lounge.
The next time I have an overnight'er at KUL (& not departing on an MH flight), I'll be booking a room either at the Sama2 Express or a hotel near the airport.

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 29965192)
Yes to both, but MH is not the designated lounge for QR J class pax (and the MH lounges are busy at 9pm before all their evening departures; and dire at 2am, when the aircon is turned down, bar is closed and cleaning starts); you may need to find a QR transfer desk to get an invite to the Plaza Premium First lounge (not to be confused with the larger Plaza Premium lounge) - it's much smaller, but at least you can get an a la carte meal and alcohol from the bar

Although tbf, with such a long layover, you may as well pop into the city to get a nice dinner somewhere (or lounge hop - don't forget there's CX too in the early evening - not particularly luxurious, but very peaceful after the last KA departure)

OP is not traveling on QR J.

kt74 Jul 16, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 29971121)
OP is not traveling on QR J.

I am aware of this, but do you know what the designated lounge is for QR Y pax? I assume it's the same, but I don't know; do you?

clubeurope Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 29978895)
I am aware of this, but do you know what the designated lounge is for QR Y pax? I assume it's the same, but I don't know; do you?

I assume you are referring to QR Y pax with status. Given they are OWS (Gold) or OWE (Platinum), then they have access to the MH lounges...

For silver members granted lounge access, they should get access to the PP lounge and not the MH/OW lounges.

OP is OWS, so can visit the MH lounges (which is superior to the PP lounge)

kt74 Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 29979045)
I assume you are referring to QR Y pax with status. Given they are OWS (Gold) or OWE (Platinum), then they have access to the MH lounges...

For silver members granted lounge access, they should get access to the PP lounge and not the MH/OW lounges.

OP is OWS, so can visit the MH lounges (which is superior to the PP lounge)

Are you sure? Have you actually been to the lounges at 2am before the late QR flight? QR gives J pax access to the PP First lounge, which has a la carte dining and a full bar service. By 2am, the MH Plat lounge is long closed, and on the J side, the bar and showcase kitchens are closed, the food not refilled, staff are cleaning around pax, and the aircon is turned low/off. This is about the as bad as the main PP lounge (next to the SQ lounge) though at least it has a bar, but the PP FIRST lounge (next to the EK lounge/opposite CX) is superior to the MH offerings at this time of night, assuming you want to eat or drink anything, or sit in aircon without someone vacuuming around you. YMMV of course!

Anyway, for the OP, go crazy and try all the lounges before midnight (MH, MH Regional, CX) if you're not going into the city, and definitely try and get an invitation to the PP FIRST lounge if you intend to use the lounges after midnight. This post suggests that you might get access in Y on QR.

brbear Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 29980552)
Anyway, for the OP, go crazy and try all the lounges before midnight (MH, MH Regional, CX) if you're not going into the city, and definitely try and get an invitation to the PP FIRST lounge if you intend to use the lounges after midnight. This post suggests that you might get access in Y on QR.

Thanks, I think this will be my strategy --- work for some hours in the MH lounge(s), before knocking off at midnight and switching to PP First (if possible) to relax a bit pre-flight.

(Heading into the city is also a nice idea, but as I'm anyway in KL most weekends, I'll be happy on this one occasion to stay airside and skip KLIA's "award winning" immigration service. :-) )

tingtongbells Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

I flew similar route last April - JHB-KUL connecting to QR853 KUL-DOH-CAI on separate ticket. Both sectors in J and I’m OWS. Here’s my experience:
- My luggage was checked all the way from JHB to final destination (CAI) despite QR sectors on separate ticket
- I arrived in KUL at about 8+pm, but the QR transfer counter was not manned. It’ll only open 2-3 hours before QR’s departure.
- Thankfully JHB was able to print my QR boarding passes (I’ll strongly advise you to try to ask SIN agent to try to print it for you too, if possible, as I’m not sure if MH or PP will allow entry to their lounge if there’s no boarding pass or lounge invite for PP)
- Alternatively, I also had my QR mobile boarding pass ready
- The initial plan is to lounge hop a bit since I have a lot of time to kill
- Despite flying on QR J, I was denied entry to MH Regional Lounge as the lounge agent mentioned that (i) Regional Lounge will be closed by midnight but QR departs at about 3am (ii) QR’s flight departs from Satellite terminal (iii) QR’s lounge is PP Lounge. When I told him that I’m flying a oneworld carrier, I have about 6 hours to kill, and I will head over to Satellite Lounge once Regional Lounge is about to close, he further mentioned that QR will not be very happy that MH double charge them (I think what he meant was my entry to MH Regional Lounge and MH Satellite Lounge will both be charged to QR). He strongly recommend me to go MH Satellite Lounge instead.
- Reluctantly I headed over to Satellite terminal. Instead of heading straight to the MH Satellite lounge, I visited CX lounge just for the fun of it. CX lounge is still open to cater for JL flight.
- Then I made my way to Satellite lounge to shower and have a bowl of laksa. Soon the cleaners are there to clean the lounge (about midnight) and I left.
- Went over to QR transfer counter to get my QR J boarding pass printed, and also receive my PP lounge invitation
- Spent the rest of my time in PP lounge
Do note that these are my experience a year ago so YMMV. Enjoy QR - they’re amazing :)

kaffir76 Jul 21, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by brbear (Post 29981780)
Thanks, I think this will be my strategy --- work for some hours in the MH lounge(s), before knocking off at midnight and switching to PP First (if possible) to relax a bit pre-flight.
(Heading into the city is also a nice idea, but as I'm anyway in KL most weekends, I'll be happy on this one occasion to stay airside and skip KLIA's "award winning" immigration service. :-) )

PP 1st lounge is for QR J pax (plus other airlines) but do report back if u get access as a Y pax.

I did a similar itinerary as yours last Nov. - one Y to BOS (pre-QRPC GOLD) & one J to MUC.
I remember the trf counter didn't open at the time it was supposed to (3-4 hrs before dep.) so I gave up checking & just waited in the PP 1st lounge until an hour before dep. to collect my BP (This was the trip to MUC when I flew in from SIN on MH 610 the night before).
For the trip to BOS, I was in KL city for a few days & I wasn't Gold yet so I probably waited at the PP lounge before my flight.

Both flights were amazing but do update in the QR forum if you have time, as there have been some grumblings about the poor choice (& quality) of food options in QR Y.

kaffir76 Jul 21, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by tingtongbells (Post 29983338)
I flew similar route last April - JHB-KUL connecting to QR853 KUL-DOH-CAI on separate ticket. Both sectors in J and I’m OWS. Here’s my experience:
- My luggage was checked all the way from JHB to final destination (CAI) despite QR sectors on separate ticket
- I arrived in KUL at about 8+pm, but the QR transfer counter was not manned. It’ll only open 2-3 hours before QR’s departure.
- Thankfully JHB was able to print my QR boarding passes (I’ll strongly advise you to try to ask SIN agent to try to print it for you too, if possible, as I’m not sure if MH or PP will allow entry to their lounge if there’s no boarding pass or lounge invite for PP)
- Alternatively, I also had my QR mobile boarding pass ready
- The initial plan is to lounge hop a bit since I have a lot of time to kill
- Despite flying on QR J, I was denied entry to MH Regional Lounge as the lounge agent mentioned that (i) Regional Lounge will be closed by midnight but QR departs at about 3am (ii) QR’s flight departs from Satellite terminal (iii) QR’s lounge is PP Lounge. When I told him that I’m flying a oneworld carrier, I have about 6 hours to kill, and I will head over to Satellite Lounge once Regional Lounge is about to close, he further mentioned that QR will not be very happy that MH double charge them (I think what he meant was my entry to MH Regional Lounge and MH Satellite Lounge will both be charged to QR). He strongly recommend me to go MH Satellite Lounge instead.
- Reluctantly I headed over to Satellite terminal. Instead of heading straight to the MH Satellite lounge, I visited CX lounge just for the fun of it. CX lounge is still open to cater for JL flight.
- Then I made my way to Satellite lounge to shower and have a bowl of laksa. Soon the cleaners are there to clean the lounge (about midnight) and I left.
- Went over to QR transfer counter to get my QR J boarding pass printed, and also receive my PP lounge invitation
- Spent the rest of my time in PP lounge
Do note that these are my experience a year ago so YMMV. Enjoy QR - they’re amazing :)

It'll be fine if you do not have the BP, the lounge staff just needs your FFP card & your itinerary to allow access to the lounge.
Strange story about the regional lounge though, but in the end if you insisted, you'd most likely be allowed to enter.
Not really a concern or a big deal to MH if QR was double charged, all the better for them, no?
The only trf counter that is being manned all the time is MH's own .. @:-)

brbear Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am

Will I be able to:

Thanks a lot!

I just went through this trip and thought I'd report back for future reference!

At SIN, there was of course no problem to check my bag all the way through. The agent didn't seem to think it was possible at first, but we got there in the end.

At KUL, I initially went to the MH lounge and had no problem accessing it 8 or so hours before the flight (although they were also initially unsure about whether I could enter on a QR ticket).

Three hours before the QR flight, I tried to switch to the PP lounge. Unfortunately, I *wasn't* allowed to access it because I have OW Sapphire status with MH. Both the lounge agents and the transfer desk said the same thing, and told me that I should use the MH lounge (again). If I understood them correctly, had my OW Sapphire status been from another programme than MH, I would have been able to enter the PP lounge.

kaffir76 Aug 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by brbear (Post 29981780)

Thanks for the update, & good for you that you managed to enter the MH lounge so early. I'd have headed straight to the sleeping room & stayed in the lounge until it was time to board.
You didn't miss much at the PP First lounge, so no worries.

According to their website, QRPC Silver members are eligible to use the PP First lounge regardless of your class of travel but I was turned away last Nov. when I tried.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/lounges/worldwide.html

Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Plaza Premium First
Location : Satellite Terminal / Mezzanine Floor / After Security
Open all day
Lounge Access Eligibility
Silver and Higher

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 29980552)
Are you sure? Have you actually been to the lounges at 2am before the late QR flight? QR gives J pax access to the PP First lounge, which has a la carte dining and a full bar service. By 2am, the MH Plat lounge is long closed, and on the J side, the bar and showcase kitchens are closed, the food not refilled, staff are cleaning around pax, and the air-con is turned low/off. This is about the as bad as the main PP lounge (next to the SQ lounge) though at least it has a bar, but the PP FIRST lounge (next to the EK lounge/opposite CX) is superior to the MH offerings at this time of night, assuming you want to eat or drink anything, or sit in air-con without someone vacuuming around you. YMMV of course!

The above in bold about the MH lounge is mostly correct, but the biggest advantage of the lounge to me is the sleeping/nap room (loud snorers included). At 1am I'm not really in the mood to eat or drink so a full buffet & open bar isn't on my priority list but I guess others may feel differently. The A/C was working fine on the 2 occasions last month when I was there.