FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   What have I done? First ‘First’ on MH and on A350 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1900053-what-have-i-done-first-first-mh-a350.html)

EK004 Regular Mar 22, 2018 6:21 am

What have I done? First ‘First’ on MH and on A350

So long story short;

Normally I fly BA or EK to Asia, prefer EK over BA but I cant always make it work, anyway. I find that I have to go to KL on business in April and I noticed that the MH were MUCH cheaper than BA. Last time I flew MH I had a good experience. I loved the lounges, but the seats (A330 J Class) were not great and I found I slid down a lot during the ling flight to Australia.

So when I saw that MH were so cheap I decided to go for it, and book a flight to BKK, via a 24hr stop in KUL for a couple of meetings. I have searched high and low, but other than a few media reports and people ‘passing through’ the F cabin, there is very little on it.

I have a couple of little questions, and I thought the the experts might be able to give some answers;

I am assuming that I can use any OW lounge in T4 LHR?

What will the service be like on board? BA level or better?

At the moment I seem to have the entire F cabin to myself – I know that there is a bid upgrade process, so will people be joining me? I actually prefer it when there are a few people in the F cabin, I once flew 14 hours on an EK A380 on my own in F and the service was poor because the cabin crew had been put elsewhere!

I have a full day in London and my flight leaves at 21:35, what is the latest I can check in? I will have one checked bag

Looking forward to this, should be good fun,

Nick

crackjack Mar 22, 2018 7:50 am

Yes, you should be able to use any T4 OW lounge. MH’s own refreshed F lounge is supposed to be good, but can’t say personally...

Service is def better than BA in J & Y, no experience w BA F....

Unlikely on people upgrading to F; MH upgrades are ridiculous since the devaluation; even before, I flew the afternoon A380 out and upgraded my Z ticket, and even then it was myself and one other person (who I think, but did not verify, was TSDS Dr. Zeti... the air crew got pictures with her). Then again, with the A359 still being so new, you never know...

bhomburg Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am

Check-In closes 60 minutes prior to departure, and they really mean it - if you are unlucky there won't be anyone manning the counter at T -59 (observed in CDG).
You can use any OW lounge in T4. The QR lounge is really nice with all the bells and whistles and I`d recommend going there. As QR has two evening flights to DOH leaving at 21:30 and 21:55 it's peak time for them and it may be crowded, though.
I haven't flown them in F in for awhile now, and all my experience was on the A380 to/from CDG, but in my experience service definitely is a notch or two above BA, yes. Try their "chef on call" dining service! I liked their Satay, and having teh tarik expertly prepared at my seat.
The F cabin on MHs A 350 is very small at only four seats, and they are pretty good about releasing award space so chances are that you will not be alone.

Please give us a trip report!

kaffir76 Mar 24, 2018 12:16 am

Congrats!

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular (Post 29553821)

So long story short;
Normally I fly BA or EK to Asia, prefer EK over BA but I cant always make it work, anyway. I find that I have to go to KL on business in April and I noticed that the MH were MUCH cheaper than BA. Last time I flew MH I had a good experience. I loved the lounges, but the seats (A330 J Class) were not great and I found I slid down a lot during the long flight to Australia.

So when I saw that MH were so cheap I decided to go for it, and book a flight to BKK, via a 24 hr stop in KUL for a couple of meetings. I have searched high and low, but other than a few media reports and people ‘passing through’ the F cabin, there is very little on it.
I have a couple of little questions, and I thought the the experts might be able to give some answers;
I am assuming that I can use any OW lounge in T4 LHR?
What will the service be like on board? BA level or better?

At the moment I seem to have the entire F cabin to myself – I know that there is a bid upgrade process, so will people be joining me? I actually prefer it when there are a few people in the F cabin, I once flew 14 hours on an EK A380 on my own in F and the service was poor because the cabin crew had been put elsewhere!
I have a full day in London and my flight leaves at 21:35, what is the latest I can check in? I will have one checked bag
Looking forward to this, should be good fun,
Nick

Yes, please update us with a short review or a full blown TR if u have the time! :D
When u said "MH was much cheaper", did u mean MH F was much cheaper than BA J?

Service on-board is always awesome, & I'm sure you will have a blast ..
I do like lots of personal space so unlike u, I think I'd prefer the cabin to remain empty.
As for LHR T4 lounges, I think the QR lounge is much better than MH but that's just my preference.

Zawnet Mar 24, 2018 4:02 am

I find the MH F lounge at T4 to be much better than a busy QR lounge in the same terminal.

EK004 Regular Mar 29, 2018 4:19 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 29560800)
Yes, please update us with a short review or a full blown TR if u have the time! :D
When u said "MH was much cheaper", did u mean MH F was much cheaper than BA J?

J was cheaper that BA J , and so I got an F ticket(Man Maths!)

msm2000uk Mar 30, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular (Post 29579676)
J was cheaper that BA J , and so I got an F ticket(Man Maths!)

MH F, following dinner in the QR Lounge. Not bad for an evenings adventure!

M

BOStonTravels Mar 31, 2018 10:58 pm

So long story short;

Nick

"What have you done?"

You have just gotten yourself a much better experience than on BA! Nice work!

poopbunny Apr 6, 2018 2:42 pm

I loved the lounges, but the seats (A330 J Class) were not great and I found I slid down a lot during the ling flight to Australia.

BA was better?

So when I saw that MH were so cheap I decided to go for it, and book a flight to BKK, via a 24hr stop in KUL for a couple of meetings. I have searched high and low, but other than a few media reports and people ‘passing through’ the F cabin, there is very little on it.
Nick

Here is a full report on MH First A350
https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-ai...tm_source=grid

SilverChris Apr 6, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 29611015)
BA was better?

My guess is that the OP probably flew on the old angled-flat J before it was replaced by the current staggered product.

EK004 Regular Apr 10, 2018 6:15 am

Well it didn't go very well.

My outbound was cancelled, they kept us there until well after midnight then cancelled it. We were then rebooked on the following days MH2, no options of other flights or operators. We were told that we couldn't get our bags bag - I protested and asked for them, most people went to the hotel but I went home. Despite being told we couldn't get our bags back I found the entire load of bags going around belt 2. Took my bag but everyone else had now gone to the hotel without their bags.

I drove home and called my colleagues in KL to rearrange meetings and hotel accommodation. All sorted on the drive home - turns out that KL hotels are a lot more flexible than our hotels. Turned up the next day, and found that a lot of people had been put on the earlier flight, which was very annoying. I got on the MH1D departing at 18:30.

I am not turning this in to a trio report, but the flight was not as expected. The seat was disappointing with the handset not working for the IFE. Randomly there is only one external camera setting, straight down, not offered a preflight drink. There were me and one other in F, but after take off the seats were filled by who knows, despite there being lots of space in J. Amenity kit and PJs passed out still in their plastic wrappers. It was just all very unpolished. Served food with no cutlery - wine service was slow and limited.

On the return I got in to the First Suite in the MH lounge. Two TVs in there but no remotes. Also there is no wine list or free poor - even for soft drinks, so I found myself having to walk around to say 'can I have a coke please' or 'can I have something to eat please'. On the whole the First suite was very very boring and dull.

Nevermind you live and learn.

msm2000uk Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular (Post 29623593)
Well it didn't go very well.

My outbound was cancelled, they kept us there until well after midnight then cancelled it. We were then rebooked on the following days MH2, no options of other flights or operators. We were told that we couldn't get our bags bag - I protested and asked for them, most people went to the hotel but I went home. Despite being told we couldn't get our bags back I found the entire load of bags going around belt 2. Took my bag but everyone else had now gone to the hotel without their bags.

I drove home and called my colleagues in KL to rearrange meetings and hotel accommodation. All sorted on the drive home - turns out that KL hotels are a lot more flexible than our hotels. Turned up the next day, and found that a lot of people had been put on the earlier flight, which was very annoying. I got on the MH1D departing at 18:30.

I am not turning this in to a trio report, but the flight was not as expected. The seat was disappointing with the handset not working for the IFE. Randomly there is only one external camera setting, straight down, not offered a preflight drink. There were me and one other in F, but after take off the seats were filled by who knows, despite there being lots of space in J. Amenity kit and PJs passed out still in their plastic wrappers. It was just all very unpolished. Served food with no cutlery - wine service was slow and limited.

On the return I got in to the First Suite in the MH lounge. Two TVs in there but no remotes. Also there is no wine list or free poor - even for soft drinks, so I found myself having to walk around to say 'can I have a coke please' or 'can I have something to eat please'. On the whole the First suite was very very boring and dull.

Nevermind you live and learn.

Sounds like the current MH motto - "Promise plenty. Deliver little"

Sure, it's not the official motto, but it might as well be!

M