Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA (Post Renovations)

Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
To kick off the wiki on the new main lounge thread I added a brief overview of the MH lounges at KLIA.
I invite others to add relevant info on location, access requirements and opening hours.
Globalist

All the Malaysia Airlines lounges at KL International Airport (KLIA) have now been reopened after renovations.

Malaysia Airlines has 3 lounges at KLIA.

The KLIA Domestic Golden Lounge.
Located in the domestic terminal for domestic departures, towards the 'A' gates. Open 5am-12am.

The KLIA Regional Golden Lounge
This lounge is located in the main terminal building for international departures. Open 5am-12am.

To access it use the escalator near the Aerotrain platform between the G and H pier.

This lounge is airside and accessible for international departures only,

The International Golden Lounge at Satellite KLIA
This is the largest lounge, and is located in the Satellite Building on the 2nd floor above the Aerotrain platform there. Open 24hrs.

It features a Business class section and a separate 'Platinum' area + dining room for Enrich Platinum, OWEs & MH Business Suites passengers. (There is also a small First Class Suite area on the Platinum side for MH Business Suites passengers.)

This lounge is airside and only accessible by passengers allowed into the international zone.

[This perk may have been stopped as of 1 March 2024, even if the FAQ is not updated and still shows the earlier access rights; see this post.]
This lounge may also be used as an arrivals lounge by passengers arriving on MH flights who either flew MH Business Suites / Business or hold Enrich Platinum / Gold status (not applicableto OWE / OWS).

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA (Post Renovations)

Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:21 am

Currently Esconed in the F section of the satellite lounge right now. Excellent Job MH for making an otherwise drab lounge into such a cosy and more single traveller friendly environment.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:12 am

Thanks @ klausa!

Looks like the C-side is a fair bit of an upgrade there, and definitely something that has been much needed.

From the pictures though, not sure what's been done with the F side tho... changed the carpet, perhaps, and arrangement of chairs? Though the chairs themselves seem to be about the same, as does the dining area... Anyone who's been there more often who can help point out other changes?
(Then again, since the gripes I saw on the F-side were regarding the soft product, guess not much physically had needed changing.)

[Edit] Guess the rattan-backed chairs are new.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by crackjack
Thanks @ klausa!

Looks like the C-side is a fair bit of an upgrade there, and definitely something that has been much needed.

From the pictures though, not sure what's been done with the F side tho... changed the carpet, perhaps, and arrangement of chairs? Though the chairs themselves seem to be about the same, as does the dining area... Anyone who's been there more often who can help point out other changes?
(Then again, since the gripes I saw on the F-side were regarding the soft product, guess not much physically had needed changing.)

[Edit] Guess the rattan-backed chairs are new.
Removal of the Cigar Room and now designated as a Private Room, removal of the individual Slumber Rooms and now an open, Nap Area with couches as opposed to beds. Have yet to see the F toilets post-reno.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I was in the F lounge for breakfast and I did not notice any major difference in menu except that the buffet in the dining room which used to have fruits, yogurt, and pastries is now gone. Everything is a la carte. The main change in the lounge is new furniture. Toilets and showers are nice. Overall I am surprised that the lounge was closed for so long given that the changes are not as major as I expected. The lounge was already quite good and I do not think it's massively different now.

Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by escape4
I was in the F lounge for breakfast and I did not notice any major difference in menu except that the buffet in the dining room which used to have fruits, yogurt, and pastries is now gone. Everything is a la carte. The main change in the lounge is new furniture. Toilets and showers are nice. Overall I am surprised that the lounge was closed for so long given that the changes are not as major as I expected. The lounge was already quite good and I do not think it's massively different now.
Although I have not seen or used the renovated lounge, but from all the photos seen, it does seem that indeed the F section did not get much upgrade - but on the other hand, I do agree with you on the point that the pre-renovated lounge was already good. I guess they just needed to align the design with the regional lounge and the J-lounge and they had to close it so long because it is connected to the J-lounge which looks to have the most improvements. However post-renovation, the lounge does look slightly more luxurious and does incorporate the different elements of the Malaysian design.
Glad to see that they removed the buffet area - which I've never really seen anyone pick anything from it since there was always someone taking orders from the seat or already had food in the dining area.

Did they remove also the buffet in the dining area? There used to be a small buffet there too.

Too bad that I will not be able to see for myself the renovated lounges for some time - no trips planned to that part of the world so far for the coming months.

Cheers!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Looks nice. Looking forward to experiencing this later this month on my layover to India. I hope they still have a few private bedrooms and better champagne than the one in their pre-renovated F lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Looks nice. Looking forward to experiencing this later this month on my layover to India. I hope they still have a few private bedrooms and better champagne than the one in their pre-renovated F lounge.
The private bedrooms (slumber rooms) have been replaced with an open 'nap area' featuring 3 couches in each area. The old cigar room has now been converted into a private suite which I didn't get to have a look at during my visit as we were running short of time.
Not sure what champagne they serve in the KUL lounge, but at the LHR lounge, they serve NV Taittinger which is quite drinkable. Also, MH have started serving champagne as a pre-departure beverage!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kianlee
The private bedrooms (slumber rooms) have been replaced with an open 'nap area' featuring 3 couches in each area. The old cigar room has now been converted into a private suite which I didn't get to have a look at during my visit as we were running short of time.
Not sure what champagne they serve in the KUL lounge, but at the LHR lounge, they serve NV Taittinger which is quite drinkable. Also, MH have started serving champagne as a pre-departure beverage!
Thanks. It's a pity that the slumber rooms have disappeared - they came in handy once on a long overnight stopover. I wonder what the private suite is all about...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Thanks. It's a pity that the slumber rooms have disappeared - they came in handy once on a long overnight stopover. I wonder what the private suite is all about...
As the F lounge closes at midnight (only the Business side remains open 24hr) there seems no option to use it anyway.

Globalist
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Sad that the F lounge didn't receive much of an upgrade but actually downgraded some of the amenities. I guess that given MH lack of F outside of LHR it is actually a blessing they basically kept a OWE lounge at all! I was totally panned for calling out the pre-renovation lounge dining which had become disgusting but glad to see other experienced travelers ended up agreeing with me. Has the food quality improved on the F side? Also, are showers nicer? How do they compare to the new showers on the C side?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I was there recently and it looked like they took out the old F bathrooms and swapped it for a bigger J bathrooms. The F bathrooms are now located just after the 3-4 steps stair close to the dining room to the left with 3 or 4 showers (with toilets) and 1 standalone toilet. Showers look greatly improved from before and F/J showers are very similar although F bathroom has tiled shower floor.

I feel that it's a huge improvement for J, so much so that I think it's better than the F side in certain areas (namely food). Whilst F has a slightly different menu and proper restaurant setting, most of the food can be found in the J buffet or noodle bar. The F buffet is tiny compared to J (which makes sense since F is pretty quiet most of the time). For F Lounge eligible passengers, I'd suggest eating at the J lounge and then head on over to the F lounge if you want to relax or shower.

One of the biggest improvements of all is the discontinuation of boarding announcements (which can be extremely annoying during the morning and late evening departure banks). Also, worth noting is that there are a lot of power outlets fitted with USB or international sockets throughout both lounges! ^

In a nutshell:

Pros: Vastly improved bathrooms and showers for both F and J, new open kitchen concept with made to order station in J and power outlets throughout the lounge

Cons: shrunk part of F lounge to expand J lounge and no private slumber rooms in F

Last edited by nov11; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
I was totally panned for calling out the pre-renovation lounge dining which had become disgusting but glad to see other experienced travelers ended up agreeing with me.
Not sure about being ’panned’, but your original statement that: “frankly that old mh first class lounge had also turned into a real dump!” definitely needed some elucidation.

The only removal of facilities seems to be the day rooms (and smoking area...), and if someone needs more than a few hours for a nap - which is still possible at the lounge, albeit with less privacy -, the Sama-Sama Express, or a hotel outside the airport, has always been a better choice.

On the food... I was never a fan of their steak (if Pampas can do it, so can MH!), but the food was acceptable when I had it (and much better than the Business Class lounge’s offerings!). But, service / food quality can definitely vary over time, think the last time I was in the dinner room was ~8 months ago. Hope to hear good things on the food as well, particularly as the C side’s food Has gotten a clear upgrade.
BOStonTravels likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
I was there recently and it looked like they took out the old F bathrooms and swapped it for a bigger J bathrooms. The F bathrooms are now located just after the 3-4 steps stair close to the dining room to the left with 3 or 4 showers (with toilets) and 1 standalone toilet. Showers look greatly improved from before and F/J showers are very similar although F bathroom has tiled shower floor.

I feel that it's a huge improvement for J, so much so that I think it's better than the F side in certain areas (namely food). Whilst F has a slightly different menu and proper restaurant setting, most of the food can be found in the J buffet or noodle bar. The F buffet is tiny compared to J (which makes sense since F is pretty quiet most of the time). For F Lounge eligible passengers, I'd suggest eating at the J lounge and then head on over to the F lounge if you want to relax or shower.

One of the biggest improvements of all is the discontinuation of boarding announcements (which can be extremely annoying during the morning and late evening departure banks). Also, worth noting is that there are a lot of power outlets fitted with USB or international sockets throughout both lounges! ^

In a nutshell:

Pros: Vastly improved bathrooms and showers for both F and J, new open kitchen concept with made to order station in J and power outlets throughout the lounge

Cons: shrunk part of F lounge to expand J lounge and no private slumber rooms in F
It seems that the new F lounge has taken over the old J toilets which were located diagonally across from the bar.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'd suggest eating at the J lounge and then head on over to the F lounge if you want to relax or shower.
Why would one want to go buffet style when you have table service and better environment to dine in the F side? If food is coming from the same source, than it would be much better and less stressful to do buffet style on the J-side before moving to the F-side. Or did I understand the food quality between the F and J wrongly.

Cheers!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are the showers still "locker room" style, where they are in the same area as the general toilets with not much privacy? I'm referring to the old J style showers - I never saw the F showers.

Or are they individual rooms now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.