FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA (Post Renovations) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1896407-malaysia-golden-lounges-klia-post-renovations.html)

asheby Mar 11, 2018 6:16 am

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 29509893)
Interesting... the former First Lounge is now known as the 'KLIA Satellite Platinum'? Guess MH is acknowledging that they are not going to have huge F volumes going forward. (On the other hand, it does appear that they've not updated the writeup fully... slumber rooms & cigar room still mentioned.)

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...ce/lounge.html

Back in the days prior to joining OW, MH had a separate Platinum lounge room reserved for Enrich Platinum members flying first class, within the first class lounge. Inside it were a couple of sofas, and three of the black leather chair/ottomans which were later placed inside the cigar room pre-renovation as well as a private toilet/shower. Today, this space has been converted into the dining room. As such, there was a lot of confusion and muddling about with the lounge and check in agents, interchangeable calling the F side either the FCL lounge or the Platinum lounge as they relaxed the rules and opened the Platinum lounge up to all OWEs as well.

Zawnet Mar 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by asheby (Post 29510424)
Back in the days prior to joining OW, MH had a separate Platinum lounge room reserved for Enrich Platinum members flying first class, within the first class lounge. Inside it were a couple of sofas, and three of the black leather chair/ottomans which were later placed inside the cigar room pre-renovation as well as a private toilet/shower. Today, this space has been converted into the dining room. As such, there was a lot of confusion and muddling about with the lounge and check in agents, interchangeable calling the F side either the FCL lounge or the Platinum lounge as they relaxed the rules and opened the Platinum lounge up to all OWEs as well.

The new “suites room” or old cigar room at the First/ platinum lounge in the satellite building is meant for MH pax travelling in First on MH flights. Supposedly, they have a more extensive dining option than the one available in the dining room.

Whilst MH is still refining the satellite lounge and sorting out minor issues, it closes after midnight and reopens at 5am. Only the regional lounge is open 24hrs during this (interim) period.

I understand that satay will be introduced during tea-time/ afternoon snacks in the biz side of the satellite lounge.

Guy Betsy Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by timpolti1 (Post 29509740)
I want to do a BAEC TP run on MA TPE>KUL>SIN>KUL>TPE in Business-Class.
Flight arrives into KUL at 8 pm

Onewards connection to SIN will take off at 11:05 pm, but the MA booking systems
also is showing me a flight at 9:10 am on the next day - giving me a 13+ hours
layover at the airport.

3 Questions:

a)
Can I spend the whole night at the (newly renovated) MA Golden Lounge and
(as a business class customer) can stay in one of their nap/sleeping rooms ?)

b)
I read somewhere, that MA is "closing" after the last departing flight, but they do let people
staying inside the lounge who already went in before "closing-time".
Can anyone confirm this ?

c)
What is happening to my "checked" baggage if I am going to take the next day's morning
flight to Singapore ?
The whole concept of spending the night at the lounge would be pointless if I would have
to pick up my luggage and thus I would have to clear immigration as (as far as I know) MA
doesn't do pre-evening check-ins ...

Thank you for your (hopefully) helpful answers
Love this forum ...
Tim

Not to be pedantic - but if you're going to be a frequent member of FlyerTalk, you better get your airline codes right ! Malaysia Airlines code is MH. MA is something else entirely.

a) The satellite lounge's business class lounge may be open 24 hours. But you'd have access to the regional lounge too. Which is where your flight from TPE and to SIN will depart from anyway.
b) As above
c) Your bags will be checked through to SIN as long as its a connection.

d00t Mar 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 29504304)
I visited the long awaited Malaysia Airlines KLIA satellite concourse lounge today and was totally disappointed with the renovation.
Since the lounge was closed for a long period and the type that media outlets such as Australian Business Traveller portal promoted, the expectations were high.

My initial reaction: I kept asking myself repeatedly, what is so new about this lounge. I was accessing their First Class section. Throughout, I cannot help myself feel very disappointed given such a high expectation of the anticipation.

Did you not look at the massive changes in the business lounge?

Originally Posted by timpolti1 (Post 29509740)
The whole concept of spending the night at the lounge would be pointless......
Tim

There are hotels at the airport. Cheap, clean, high standard and easy to access.
Do your body a favour and get a real bed :-)

SilverChris Mar 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by d00t (Post 29515993)
Did you not look at the massive changes in the business lounge?

What changes? Nothing has changed, apart from the layout, carpets, chairs, sofas, tables, lighting, bathroom, showers, paint, tiles, etc.

But it's not CX, so I guess that's enough disappoint some members here who are very loyal DMs :)

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 29504304)
I visited the long awaited Malaysia Airlines KLIA satellite concourse lounge today and was totally disappointed with the renovation.
Since the lounge was closed for a long period and the type that media outlets such as Australian Business Traveller portal promoted, the expectations were high.

My initial reaction: I kept asking myself repeatedly, what is so new about this lounge. I was accessing their First Class section. Throughout, I cannot help myself feel very disappointed given such a high expectation of the anticipation.

I must say, the regional lounge is 100 times better!

MH, you missed a great opportunity to really showcase the new lounge. It is a major disappointment.

dsquared37 Mar 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by d00t (Post 29515993)
There are hotels at the airport. Cheap, clean, high standard and easy to access.

Such as?

My searches have only revealed the Sama Sama, more expensive than excellent KL hotels, or capsule/Tune/express low service types. None of these fit the description you give which is the impetus for my question.

crackjack Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 29517195)
Such as?

My searches have only revealed the Sama Sama, more expensive than excellent KL hotels, or capsule/Tune/express low service types. None of these fit the description you give which is the impetus for my question.

At the risk discussion being considered wholly off-topic to this thread (which is about the lounge), I believe that was in reference to the Sama Sama Express hotels airside at KLIA & klia2, not the main Sama Sama Hotel (which was formerly a PanPac). It’s not cheap like Sg’s transit hotels, but it’s nicer than I remember the Sg transit hotels being (last used 20+y ago tho...)

Then again, using KL hotels as a benchmark skews things a bit, they’re fairly reasonably priced in comparison to other cities (<$150 for a room in the Shangri-la, Westin, Sheraton)... plus, you’d have to travel 30+mins each way & US$25 to get there. The main Sama Sama prices that in.

[EDIT]Actually, it’s essentially in line with the Sheraton, Shangri-la, etc., can see rooms at ~US$130 all infor the next month.[/EDIT]

Personally, I used to like the Putrajaya Shangri-la if you had to leave KLIA; 30mins by cab, relatively cheap, but great hotel. No idea how the new management is...

Anyway, back on topic: I guess I understand why the slumber rooms were such a draw to some OWEs trying to travel on a budget (even if it is a J budget for some), but it was really not a perk I’ve expected in F / OWE lounges, so... *shrug*

(Plus, as someone mentioned, there still seems to be a 24hr nap area in the J side -albeit with less privacy - if budget is still a priority).

Rami Tamimi Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm

I am a bit confused as to which cigar room got removed... the J one, the F one, or both?

TGflyergirl Mar 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 29526071)
I am a bit confused as to which cigar room got removed... the J one, the F one, or both?

The F one. The J one still exists.

miuk Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 29526071)

If you're in the F lounge, walk all the way to the back, go past the door and towards the left (now you'll be in the shared corridor with the Business lounge). Smoking room is in the same place as before facing the apron.

Rami Tamimi Mar 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks to both of you miuk and TGflyergirl!

Sad that the F room is gone now..... the sofas with the ottoman there were probably more comfortable than the rest of the lounge and just like the rest of the lounge, it was nearly always empty. I guess going to smoke to the J lounge is still better, than going to the public one.

TGflyergirl Mar 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 29526252)
Thanks to both of you miuk and TGflyergirl!

Sad that the F room is gone now..... the sofas with the ottoman there were probably more comfortable than the rest of the lounge and just like the rest of the lounge, it was nearly always empty. I guess going to smoke to the J lounge is still better, than going to the public one.

I'll miss it. I actually spent more time there than anywhere else in the lounge (yes, those sofas with the ottoman were the best!)

There are two public smoking ones. One sponsored by a tobacco company (which is decent-ish) and one on an opposite wing that is totally dingy. They'll never come close to our F cigar room :(

crackjack Mar 15, 2018 5:24 am

So, TGFG... any word on the Private Suite? Perhaps that sofa set is still there? ;)

TGflyergirl Mar 15, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 29527288)
So, TGFG... any word on the Private Suite? Perhaps that sofa set is still there? ;)

They don't let riff raff like me in there !

Zawnet Mar 15, 2018 9:31 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4ea1c781c.jpeg

This is what it looks like now inside the old cigar room. It is meant for MH pax travelling on MH First services. There is also a private toilet/ shower accessible from inside this First class suite.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6fcf9b580.jpeg