FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Malaysia Golden Lounges at KLIA (Post Renovations) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1896407-malaysia-golden-lounges-klia-post-renovations.html)

BOStonTravels Mar 8, 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29498785)
Are the showers still "locker room" style, where they are in the same area as the general toilets with not much privacy? I'm referring to the old J style showers - I never saw the F showers.

Or are they individual rooms now?

There is a photo of the J side upthread but frankly while its a massive improvement they still look like something out of a late 80's business hotel. I mean the lounge did always have some style and KL has some beautiful hotels so why MH took so long to pull of this refresh and couldnt but in some nicer shower rooms is beyond me. You would have thought taking a day trip to check out the CX lounges in HKG might have inspired them a bit.

nov11 Mar 8, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 29498162)
Why would one want to go buffet style when you have table service and better environment to dine in the F side? If food is coming from the same source, than it would be much better and less stressful to do buffet style on the J-side before moving to the F-side. Or did I understand the food quality between the F and J wrongly.

It's probably the same quality (since they are from the same source). I prefer buffet over table service simply because I can just choose and take whatever I want instead of relying on the staff to do it for me. It's quicker (I was sort of in a rush that day) and there's a larger variety at the J lounge (there are some F-only options tho).

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29498785)
Are the showers still "locker room" style, where they are in the same area as the general toilets with not much privacy? I'm referring to the old J style showers - I never saw the F showers.

It's in the same area as the general toilets but it's a private room now. The shower come with a toilet (or maybe the toilet comes with a shower) but in the F side, there are about 4 showers with toilet and 1 standalone toilet. Much cleaner and brighter than before.

SilverChris Mar 8, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels (Post 29499603)
There is a photo of the J side upthread but frankly while its a massive improvement they still look like something out of a late 80's business hotel. I mean the lounge did always have some style and KL has some beautiful hotels so why MH took so long to pull of this refresh and couldnt but in some nicer shower rooms is beyond me. You would have thought taking a day trip to check out the CX lounges in HKG might have inspired them a bit.

Funny you should say that. The Pier looks like something straight out of a retro-style hotel.

BOStonTravels Mar 8, 2018 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 29502586)
Funny you should say that. The Pier looks like something straight out of a retro-style hotel.

Retro done right. The CX Pier is like a Four Seasons. The MH lounge (previous bathrooms/showers used to be like a YMCA) these are like a late 80's/early 90's Four Points Sheraton. There's a pretty big difference

380Flyer Mar 9, 2018 8:04 am

Malaysia Airlines KLIA Satellite Concourse Lounge

I visited the long awaited Malaysia Airlines KLIA satellite concourse lounge today and was totally disappointed with the renovation.
Since the lounge was closed for a long period and the type that media outlets such as Australian Business Traveller portal promoted, the expectations were high.

My initial reaction: I kept asking myself repeatedly, what is so new about this lounge. I was accessing their First Class section. Throughout, I cannot help myself feel very disappointed given such a high expectation of the anticipation.

I must say, the regional lounge is 100 times better!

MH, you missed a great opportunity to really showcase the new lounge. It is a major disappointment.

dgm Mar 9, 2018 12:53 pm

This looks excellent compared to the shabby state this lounge had got into when I last visited last summer. Cannot wait to try when next in town in July.

Thanks for sharing the pics guys!

PhilE Mar 9, 2018 5:04 pm

F showers

Tried these yesterday - think there were just 3 cubicles on the F side, but they seemed more spacious than the old ones, much brighter (no more black walls!) and had decent rain and wall fitted shower heads with good water pressure. Breakfast menu in the restaurant wasn’t great - but I feel that way about anywhere I can’t get pork bacon :) - and the latte wasn’t barista made, so I’ll try the J side next time as the regional lounge barista coffee is good. Still something very relaxing about eating in the restaurant and F side generally. As a frequent visitor to this lounge over the last few years, I like the refresh. It’s never going to be like a SYD/ MEL Qantas F lounge though...

dsquared37 Mar 9, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 29504304)
...the expectations were high.

Your first and most egregious mistake.

dsquared37 Mar 9, 2018 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95 (Post 29473227)
Every time I have had the steak it has been terrible also.

I had the steak exactly once. Not only was it awful but it took close to 30 minutes to produce the thin and overcooked experiment. When I questioned staff why I hadn't received any food for a long time the answer was 'the steak takes 25 minutes to prepare'.... that's the point at which I realized my blunder - before it even arrived.

Ausriver Mar 9, 2018 8:56 pm

Does the F side really close before 5am? It seems the only section that you could lie flat for a nap will be in the F section.

Zawnet Mar 9, 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 29506636)
Does the F side really close before 5am? It seems the only section that you could lie flat for a nap will be in the F section.

there is a nap place in the business class section as well.

miuk Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Was able to visit the lounge on my trip out on March-6.

I have to say, the new F lounge are quite stunning and the dining room concept had very good service by the staff on hand. I highly recommend the Johor Laksa (local Msian, the sauce was thick and rich) when available. One gripe is that they do not have a drinks menu and everything has to be told to you by your server.

As for the smoking lounge, it is shared with the Business class side, go to the back through the door and it will be to your left.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...969faf0948.jpg

Smoked Seafood Selection
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...05074d6523.jpg

Johor Laksa
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1fa003ee56.jpg

Waffle with Kaya and Icecream

timpolti1 Mar 10, 2018 9:58 pm

I want to do a BAEC TP run on MA TPE>KUL>SIN>KUL>TPE in Business-Class.
Flight arrives into KUL at 8 pm

Onewards connection to SIN will take off at 11:05 pm, but the MA booking systems
also is showing me a flight at 9:10 am on the next day - giving me a 13+ hours
layover at the airport.

3 Questions:

a)
Can I spend the whole night at the (newly renovated) MA Golden Lounge and
(as a business class customer) can stay in one of their nap/sleeping rooms ?)

b)
I read somewhere, that MA is "closing" after the last departing flight, but they do let people
staying inside the lounge who already went in before "closing-time".
Can anyone confirm this ?

c)
What is happening to my "checked" baggage if I am going to take the next day's morning
flight to Singapore ?
The whole concept of spending the night at the lounge would be pointless if I would have
to pick up my luggage and thus I would have to clear immigration as (as far as I know) MA
doesn't do pre-evening check-ins ...

Thank you for your (hopefully) helpful answers
Love this forum ...
Tim

crackjack Mar 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by timpolti1 (Post 29509740)
3 Questions:

a)
Can I spend the whole night at the (newly renovated) MA Golden Lounge and
(as a business class customer) can stay in one of their nap/sleeping rooms ?)

b)
I read somewhere, that MA is "closing" after the last departing flight, but they do let people
staying inside the lounge who already went in before "closing-time".
Can anyone confirm this ?

c)
What is happening to my "checked" baggage if I am going to take the next day's morning
flight to Singapore ?
The whole concept of spending the night at the lounge would be pointless if I would have
to pick up my luggage and thus I would have to clear immigration as (as far as I know) MA
doesn't do pre-evening check-ins ...

On your questions a) and b):

Originally Posted by Zawnet (Post 29506740)
there is a nap place in the business class section as well.

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 29494434)
As the F lounge closes at midnight (only the Business side remains open 24hr) there seems no option to use it anyway.

However, note that the nap area is likely not a private room; still, the Sama-Sama Express transit hotel, also airside within the Satellite Terminal - entrance below the new main MH Golden Lounge's, will be a good option which would not require going through immigration.

(Not sure where you heard the Golden Lounge closes after the last departing flight; perhaps this was in reference to their Regional and / or Domestic lounges, which close from 12am - 5am? You can reference timings at their website: https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...ce/lounge.html)

For question c), this is more relevant to how MH checks baggage. Given this is a single ticket (and, I expect not one with a KUL stopover), there is no question that the bags would be checked through from SIN to TPE. They will be kept in the checked baggage area, for loading onto the TPE flight in the morning.

crackjack Mar 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Interesting... the former First Lounge is now known as the 'KLIA Satellite Platinum'? Guess MH is acknowledging that they are not going to have huge F volumes going forward. (On the other hand, it does appear that they've not updated the writeup fully... slumber rooms & cigar room still mentioned.)

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...ce/lounge.html

KLIA Satellite Platinum

An exclusive and relaxing space dedicated for Enrich Platinum, oneworld® Emerald and Malaysia Airlines' First Class passengers.

It features an elegant contemporary design and a fine dining area offering a selection of local and continental food.

City : Kuala Lumpur
Airport : KUL
Lounge : Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level 2, Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Operating Hours : 5:00a.m - 12:00a.m
Facilities : Washroom with shower facilities, cigar room, lounge seating, international sockets, fine dining room, slumber room for passengers to take a nap, high-speed Wi-Fi, light snacks self-service counter and dining.