Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Has anyone claimed EU 261/2004 compensation with MH before?

Old Mar 1, 18, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA

And if so, how was the process? Where did you write to? How long did it take?

I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend whose inbound flight from LHR was delayed by an hour, but it caused a misconnect to his connecting flight and he eventually arrived 4.5 hours later than his original arrival time. So under EU 261/2004 he is entitled to EUR 600. I've read Trip Report where people are claiming that MH is difficult to get through to but they do eventually pay after a threat of a lawsuit is mentioned.

Has anyone here gone through this ?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 18, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
It took slightly more than a year, but I was eventually compensated in Jul 2015 under EC 261/2004, for a severely delayed MH flight out of CDG in Jun 2014.

Immediately after the delayed flight, I wrote to MH (their HQ address in KL) directly, with a few subsequent follow-ups via their social media team, but to no avail - I did not even a receive formal written acknowledgement from the airline. Following this, I used a legal firm based in Germany to pursue the claim, but they too gave up after a few months, citing that it was unlikely I would be compensated. I had pretty much given up by then, and did not continue pursuing the case.

Then, out of the blue, more than one year after the original delay, MH wrote to me "extending sincere apologies" for the delay and agreeing to pay 600 euro as a "goodwill gesture". This was completely unexpected - MH can spring some strange surprises, that's for sure!
Old Mar 1, 18, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've reached out to them via Twitter, and they asked to send in the details which I did, both via Twitter and via the onliine form on their website. I am not hopeful via the latter. But the Twitter team replied and said that they have forwarded the info to the respective department. So lets see how this goes. Thanks
Old Mar 2, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Hope it doesn't take as long for you as it did for me! Something I failed to mention earlier is that my surprise MH compensation coincided with Christoph Mueller's appointment as CEO. It may have been purely coincidental, but I couldn't help thinking there was some link with Mueller's entry and their cashflow improving after being taken private at end-2014.
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:58 am

I submitted a claim late last year. It actually went reasonably smoothly though was a little bit of work.

I emailed [email protected] giving booking details and saying I wanted to make a claim under eu261. They replied very promptly saying they were passing on to [email protected] who would write back to me.

Four days later I received a form, I filled it out and emailed it back. A week or two later I think the money was in my account!
Old Mar 12, 18, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, at least the UK MH office knows all about EU261/2004 and were very prompt in replying.

Thank you all !
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:18 am

Hi we flew LGW to Dubrovnik yesterday BA2678 and should have arrived at 11.45. We were then told that because of low cloud and the fact that Dubrovnik airport were undergoing work the equipment that helps landing in those situations was not working. The pilot was then left in a holding pattern for over 40 minutes in case the cloud lifted he said he had enough fuel, good. Then he said we would be going to land at Split.. On arrival at Split we were then transported to Dubrovnik by coach and arrived at Dubrovnik after 6pm.
We were given a bottle of water and cheese/ham roll. We had booked Hotel transport from Dubrovnik airport to hotel so of course he heard at the airport that we had gone to Split, we will probably have to pay for this. On arrival at Dubrovnik from Split we than had to get a taxi to the hotel.
I know weather can be an issue when trying for EU261 but this was down to a piece of equipment. The pilot and CSD told us this. Would we have a claim. We had arrived at our destination although not the airport as the coach driver dropped us off at the bus station, it was 5 hours 15 minutes and would have been 6 hours if we had gone back to the airport. Thank you
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:24 am

Oh one other thing, just went into manage my booking to check seats for our return flight on Friday and it won't let me see the seat page, any ideas why? Dubrovnik to Lgw. 16th. Thanks
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:58 am

Hi bubbah, you’re likely better off asking in the UK / European forum, or at least the BA forum.

This thread is more relevant to the processes within MH, not on the EU regs themselves...
Old Mar 13, 18, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbah View Post
Hi we flew LGW to Dubrovnik yesterday BA2678 and should have arrived at 11.45. We were then told that because of low cloud and the fact that Dubrovnik airport were undergoing work the equipment that helps landing in those situations was not working. The pilot was then left in a holding pattern for over 40 minutes in case the cloud lifted he said he had enough fuel, good. Then he said we would be going to land at Split.. On arrival at Split we were then transported to Dubrovnik by coach and arrived at Dubrovnik after 6pm.
We were given a bottle of water and cheese/ham roll. We had booked Hotel transport from Dubrovnik airport to hotel so of course he heard at the airport that we had gone to Split, we will probably have to pay for this. On arrival at Dubrovnik from Split we than had to get a taxi to the hotel.
I know weather can be an issue when trying for EU261 but this was down to a piece of equipment. The pilot and CSD told us this. Would we have a claim. We had arrived at our destination although not the airport as the coach driver dropped us off at the bus station, it was 5 hours 15 minutes and would have been 6 hours if we had gone back to the airport. Thank you
And, this has what to do with MALAYSIA AIRLINES? Best if you ask this question over at the BA forum.