Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH charging for economy class seat selection at time of booking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH charging for economy class seat selection at time of booking.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
I’m OW Emerald. Booked a couple of MAS flights with Avios and my BAEC number is in the booking! When I goto select seats in manage my booking there is a fee to select them!! Do I need to call to get them assigned for free?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
As a BA Silver (OW Spahhire) the MH website wants to charge me to reserve economy seats (Bsuiness class seats I can reserve for free).

Should economy seats reservations also be free for me?
If so, do I need to call MH?

thanks
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by gallagher
As a BA Silver (OW Spahhire) the MH website wants to charge me to reserve economy seats (Bsuiness class seats I can reserve for free).

thanks
AFAIK MH charges for seat selection for all Sapphire - including their own Gold/Sapphire members.
Only Platinum and higher fare classes get free seat selection
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:09 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by gallagher

thanks
Can confirm what d00t has posted above. Sapphire here and no free seat selection. However, the seat availability (load dependent) once you check-in online is much better as Sapphire as compared to Ruby/no status. Confirmed this on a recent flight with family that have different status levels.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:32 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Just tried selecting seats during online check-in. My flight is in two days time.
Every time I select an available (blue) Y seat, it gets declined. According to seat map plane is half full.
(I am travelling with family who are on a separate PNR). - even if I select any of the seat sets for my whole family at the rear of the plane, it doesn't accept.

Oddly, Seat 5A (on a bulkhead - normally reserved for elite members) can be selected - and that's the only seat I can select!

Have thried on Chrome and IE and doesn't work.

Called up and the they need approval to change my seat
When I went through my seat map with them, it doesn't correspond at all with their system either.

Very buggy.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Just tried selecting seats during online check-in. My flight is in two days time.
Every time I select an available (blue) Y seat, it gets declined. According to seat map plane is half full.
(I am travelling with family who are on a separate PNR). - even if I select any of the seat sets for my whole family at the rear of the plane, it doesn't accept.

Oddly, Seat 5A (on a bulkhead - normally reserved for elite members) can be selected - and that's the only seat I can select!

Have thried on Chrome and IE and doesn't work.

Called up and the they need approval to change my seat
When I went through my seat map with them, it doesn't correspond at all with their system either.

Very buggy.
Your best bet is to get to the airport as early as possible to seat your family together. I had no problems choosing seats for the family on separate PNRs ex-KUL, but returning to KUL I was not able to do so, and even worse, two tickets were 'placed on standby'. Thankfully all sorted at the airport, but it goes to say that MH has some weird seat reservation blocks going on behind the scenes.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Emergency exit seats can be prepurchased. But does anyone know if I can get them gratis at counter check in? I can get these on domestic flights but don’t know for long haul international flights as it’s my first time in Y after many many years! I have OW-Sapphire status but I know that does zilch.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Guy Betsy,
MH usually emails when online checkin (OLCI) begins and that is the time you have to select any seats including emergency seats for free without paying. I have never ever pay for any seats but can select any economy seats including economy with extra leg room (RM350) on flight between KUL-LHR.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Danial
Guy Betsy,
MH usually emails when online checkin (OLCI) begins and that is the time you have to select any seats including emergency seats for free without paying.
While seating choice is fully freeduring OLCI starting at T-48hrs, MH actually opens it online at T-72 for some reason (if able to change it online on the site/app). If you're looking for an exit row seat, your best bet is to set an alarm for 72h before.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by crackjack
While seating choice is fully freeduring OLCI starting at T-48hrs,....
Shhh. I quite like this feature
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by crackjack

While seating choice is fully freeduring OLCI starting at T-48hrs, MH actually opens it online at T-72 for some reason (if able to change it online on the site/app). If you're looking for an exit row seat, your best bet is to set an alarm for 72h before.
live never been able to get emergency seats even on their domestic flights at T-72, or during OLCI and have had to request it at the airport. OLCI always shows the seats as “taken”.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Guy Betsy,
Never had issue selecting emergency exit during booking but system wanted RM185 but as usual, I won't select them as I usually prefer upfront seats with extra leg room. Not sure for you why maybe, earlier pax has already paid for the emergency exit seats?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:15 am

I know I nabbed the exit row via OLCI on my trip to BKI last year, and think PEN prior too... then again, I tend to fly more international flights, and e.g. KUL-SIN, never had an issue getting row 14...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

Hi All,

I booked a ticket for my mom via AA points. The app said to contact Malaysia Air to select seats. Will I/she need to pay for those seats? THank you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fishfly
Hi All,

I booked a ticket for my mom via AA points. The app said to contact Malaysia Air to select seats. Will I/she need to pay for those seats? THank you.
First what cabin class is she booked into? And second does she have any sort of Emerald status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.