Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH charging for economy class seat selection at time of booking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH charging for economy class seat selection at time of booking.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shuigao
I guess the fear is that if the flight is really full, there might not be enough available seats to group your travelling party together.
Example, next month I'm going to Seoul in a party of 7; ended up caving in to MAS and paying up front for the seat reservations so that we can all sit together
Sucks to have to pay for regular seat reservations on a so called "full service" carrier but eh.
Emirates charges for seat selections, and yet they are still very much full service.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just as a data point, prebooked seats (upstairs in Y on the A380) that were booked and ticketed prior to the introduction of charging - AND - subsequently cancelled - were re-instated free of charge.

Used to be great when TA's got access to prebooking seats that MH's website couldn't handle as I did love being upstairs in the A380!

Last edited by Sam Bee; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Just as a data point, prebooked seats (upstairs in Y on the A380) that were booked and ticketed prior to the introduction of charging - AND - subsequently cancelled - were re-instated free of charge.
Exactly as it should be. I have a couple of questions:

How and when did you notice that they had been cancelled? Were you notified and was it a direct MH booking or using a TA?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
My company utilises a GDS (I have a role vaguely in travel) so was informed by someone I work with which helped spot it immediately.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
My company utilises a GDS (I have a role vaguely in travel) so was informed by someone I work with which helped spot it immediately.
Thanks for the quick response. ^
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
For those who bash MH for charging for Y seat selections, the very full service SQ is doing so too:
Singapore Airlines, SilkAir to introduce new fare types - Channel NewsAsia

Sucks to have to pay for regular seat reservations on a so called "full service" carrier but eh.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:56 am

I have been chasing MH on this issue without success. I need some information to help me convince my card company to refund the charge. The card company are currently claiming that MH were within their rights to cancel the original seat reservations whilst MH are claiming that they were cancelled for non-payment. My original booking was in January 2017 and seat reservations were made for 2 pax in economy and these were showing on the app all the way through our outbound itinerary even though different seats were allocated at check-in. In KLIA we were told that we needed to pay to reserve seats for the return portion (one outbound flight had already been taken and the other was under gate control). I paid under protest and subsequently filed a complaint at the lounge. So to assist, can someone help with the following:
1. When was the charging for seat reservations introduced?
2. When did the change over of reservations systems happen?
3. Has anyone confirmation from MH that the change over caused non-paid economy reservations to be removed? I have been told verbally by two MH staff but I have nothing in writing.

The flights were LHR-KUL-SYD-KUL-LHR and we had seats reserved for all legs, as stated the booking and seat reservations were made in the first half of January, whilst actual travel was October. Not that it should make any difference as the reservations etc. were made direct with MH however the booking was with Expedia.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

#1 & #3 appears to be addressed in the OP (perhaps the OP has something in writing).

On #2 , the booking system change was sometime in June 2017 as well, search the forum for that thread if you need an exact date.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I guess the fear is that if the flight is really full, there might not be enough available seats to group your travelling party together.
Example, next month I'm going to Seoul in a party of 7; ended up caving in to MAS and paying up front for the seat reservations so that we can all sit together
On BA you pay for seat selection - even in Business class (if you're not a status card holder) ! And if you fly within Europe in economy, you pay for everything else including a cup of water even if you have status! Malaysia Airlines is way above that... as a full service carrier.

If you hold a group booking, meaning all of you are booked together.. and if you had booked this through a travel agent and not through an online service, the TA can send a message to MH on their GDS to request that you are be seated together. The seats may not show up as confirmed but MH will have the information put aside for you till check in. But if you booked everyone separately, well, you just have to wait till online check in then.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by strichener
I have been chasing MH on this issue without success. I need some information to help me convince my card company to refund the charge. The card company are currently claiming that MH were within their rights to cancel the original seat reservations whilst MH are claiming that they were cancelled for non-payment. My original booking was in January 2017 and seat reservations were made for 2 pax in economy and these were showing on the app all the way through our outbound itinerary even though different seats were allocated at check-in. <snip>
Just an update to this, I asked to escalate the issue with the card company and received a phone call from them where I had the opportunity to explain on the phone what actually happened. Pleased to say that after that discussion and the CC rep reading this thread, I have now been assured that the refund will be on my next statement.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I just linked my brother-in-law's ticket with mine (both Y cabin). I asked about seat selection for him. The phone agent said - free for OW Emerald - all others pay. I elected to wait until 48 hours pre-flight....

Question: What if I change the FF program at checkin? Will the seat selection get :cancelled"? I need to keep some AA points "alive".

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Question: What if I change the FF program at checkin?
Fred, you should be fine, I believe it only checks that you have OWE when you actually select the seat.

on the other hand, having to pay for exit row seating even as OWE, you’re anyway likely waiting to check in immediately at 48hrs before...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:13 pm

Hi All,

Strange anomaly...?

What I thought:
MH started charging for seats last year, you only get them free during OLCI

What I just experienced:
OLCI doesn't open for another 24 hours, went into Manage Booking on the MH website and was able to select seats Free of Charge (All seats including exit rows, small econ cabin behind J class etc...)

Did MH updated their policy? Quite delighted by this to be honest, so you don't need to be rush and be the first to OLCI in order to grab the best seats!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by talfred
Hi All,

Strange anomaly...?
Do you have any status with Enrich / OW?

I’ve been able to do this for a while, selecting 1st row and exit row seats, thought it was due to status... maybe not?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:29 am

Nope no status...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.