Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
Another CEO leaving

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/b...o-join-as-coo/

Here we go again
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Ksmax
Sad to see him go. Hope the next one stays.. but please no locals. It'll be back to the friend-friend favour-favour system that brought MAB to the state it is today.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Post from OMAAT including quotes from The Malay Mail:

Ouch: Malaysia Airlines CEO Quits, Moves To Ryanair

OCTOBER 17, 2017 BY LUCKY

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...quits-ryanair/
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:18 pm

Rumours are that Kazanah is meddling in the airline again... you'd think they'd have learnt after Müller?

And good luck with having a non-Malay jump in, not only have both of the last two left so abruptly, but I'd bet it gets politicised like everything else nowadays...

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 17, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Ryanair could've offered him an amazing deal- they have a huge pilot problem going on.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sad to see him go. Hope the next one stays.. but please no locals. It'll be back to the friend-friend favour-favour system that brought MAB to the state it is today.
Cronyism is a big problem in Malaysian state enterprises but pinning it down to locals is frankly reductive and offensive to most.

I don't envy MH's position... Malaysians are a tough crowd, wanting SQ quality (see the lounge thread post renovation) while paying AirAsia prices.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Enhancements
I don't envy MH's position... Malaysians are a tough crowd, wanting SQ quality (see the lounge thread post renovation) while paying AirAsia prices.
What makes you think every single one of those complainers are Malaysians?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Maybe related to PM Najib's order of Boeing planes on his recent USA visit ?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
I am amused that MH is surprised that its own CEO has left his job. Do they not know prior to the announcement?

Malaysia Airlines said today it has been made aware of chief executive officer Peter Bellew’s “unexpected” return to Ryanair as its chief operations officer.

In a statement, Malaysia Airlines pointed out that Bellew had previously denied he would rejoin the Irish airline.

“Malaysia Airlines takes note of the unexpected announcement by Ryanair Holdings PLC to the London Stock Exchange regarding CEO Peter Bellew,” Malaysia Airlines said.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Rather than seeing Bellew as abandoning ship, I wish that the board would see that he is a good man that is headhunted for a job that only he can do. And that his replacements must have some sort of airline experience otherwise MAB will fail again within a year as cronyism take over. Wonder also why they can't hire an ex-SIA person from Singapore or ex-CX person from Hong Kong.

Give the job to the person (man or woman) who has had a good track record in running an airline. Heard tipped is someone who's had experience buying aircraft engines.. I will abandon ship myself.

God save MAB.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
My thoughts on this, it is a loss for MH.

PB has a good impact, flight loads seemed to go up, quality seemed to be fine, prices went up which is good for the airline and loads did not decline.

The possible issues he faced in Malaysia would have made him keep a very close contact with his network. With Ryanair going trough turmoil it was an opportunity for him to move. Let's be real, from where Ryanair is today he can only be seen as successful.

Maybe one if the issues he might have faced were that decisions were made outside his circle. Perhaps the purchase of the 787 which seemed weird looking at the A350 strategy. He was stuck with the operational impact of servicing, staffing and maintaining a completely different aircraft. And of course his dependence on Kazanah and having to accept whatever they feel they want today.

Maybe I should throw in my resume.

Globalist
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Rather than seeing Bellew as abandoning ship, I wish that the board would see that he is a good man that is headhunted for a job that only he can do. And that his replacements must have some sort of airline experience otherwise MAB will fail again within a year as cronyism take over. Wonder also why they can't hire an ex-SIA person from Singapore or ex-CX person from Hong Kong.

Give the job to the person (man or woman) who has had a good track record in running an airline. Heard tipped is someone who's had experience buying aircraft engines.. I will abandon ship myself.

God save MAB.
Politically - I am not sure if they could accept an ex SQ person running MH. Not going to happen IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by nick5000
Maybe related to PM Najib's order of Boeing planes on his recent USA visit ?
This crossed my mind too...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Personal statement on leaving Malaysia Airlines — Peter Bellew - Malay Mail Online
https://apple.news/ASkNbX7PGMoufTjpMB9cnyg
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by shahr04360
Personal statement on leaving Malaysia Airlines — Peter Bellew - Malay Mail Online
https://apple.news/ASkNbX7PGMoufTjpMB9cnyg
The statement is even more confusing. Leaving for Ryanair for a demotion and a messy uphill role is a form of "national service"? Oh come on!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Alawyer
The statement is even more confusing. Leaving for Ryanair for a demotion and a messy uphill role is a form of "national service"? Oh come on!
He must have thought about it carefully (but very quick), did a swot and found there are more pros than cons with going to Ryanair vs staying at MH.

And as he said, those pros probably include the distance element, the national bond and he probably had a good offer. What the cons include we can only guess. He was fairly direct in denying the political meddling and the Khazanah influence. But then I have heard outgoing CEOs lie in their departure message before just to keep the peace.

Globalist
nldogbert likes this.

Last edited by Globalist; Oct 18, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.