Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KUL Airside Transfer (baggage retag)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
KUL Airside Transfer (baggage retag)

Anyone knows if KUL airside transit desk can retag baggages on separate tickets?

Or do I need to clear immigration and recheckin.

This is assuming I can't get my baggage through-checked at my departure destination and am forced to do it in KUL.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What airline arriving & departing?
Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html Click to open the wiki

Both MH?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malay...e-tickets.html Will still check through two PNRs (own or partner) [Source CX thread wiki as 18 Nov 2016]
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I am familiar with the interline rules but I am specifically assuming that throughcheck interline in my case is not possible due to extenuating circumstances (details I won't bore people with)

I am specifically asking abut Airside Transfer and Retagging of baggage at KUL. Can be done in SIN, HKG. But unsure about KUL?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by ermen
I am familiar with the interline rules but I am specifically assuming that throughcheck interline in my case is not possible due to extenuating circumstances (details I won't bore people with)

I am specifically asking abut Airside Transfer and Retagging of baggage at KUL. Can be done in SIN, HKG. But unsure about KUL?
You won't be able to "check in" your baggage airside (ala BA's LHR T5 facilities); all only possible after immigration and customs. You'd have to collect your bags past immigration anyway if interlining wasn't possible.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
you got me at "extenuating circumstances"

Anyone knows if KUL airside transit desk can retag baggages on separate tickets?

This is assuming I can't get my baggage through-checked at my departure destination and am forced to do it in KUL.

.... extenuating circumstances (details I won't bore people with)
But why .. we love to hear of such circumstances & details here on FT!

I assume that u are traveling on a non OW airline -> MH

In short, yes it can be done. But the reality is that most likely, they will not & instead ask you to collect the bags & re check them at the check in counters.

Simply put, it's extra work for the airline staff at the transit desk & baggage handlers to identify & re-tag the bags so unless it's under special circumstances e.g. flight cancellations, they won't do it.

But please update us after the trip of your experience nonetheless.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Your post is very vague.

It would be more helpful if you can advise where you are departing from, on what airline connecting to MH... etc

Basically if you're travelling on MH and CX, they will tag your bag even on separate tickets.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Your post is very vague.

It would be more helpful if you can advise where you are departing from, on what airline connecting to MH... etc

Basically if you're travelling on MH and CX, they will tag your bag even on separate tickets.
My question is actually very specific:

The specific question is:

1. Assuming my luggage is only able to be tagged through to KUL (on a full service airline). Will the KUL airside transit desk be able to retag my baggage onto my onward destination, without me having to go airside (again assuming my onward connection is on a full service airline)?

The boring long story

The is the real situation in case people want to know, but I did not specify it because I will undoubtedly get not so relevant comments like
- MH allows throughcheck to other OW carriers (yes I know this... but there is a risk MH PER is unable to through check in my case)

Ticket #1 :
PER -xKUL - PEN (MH)
I am dropping the PEN leg and attempting to short check to KUL

Ticket #2
KUL - HKG (KA)

In normal cases, MH will through check to KA. No problem. But here I am asking the counter staff to short check to KUL (which could be an ask in itself), and I am unsure if they will instead be able to through check to my KA flight instead (it may be possible, but we are potentially getting into the too complicated for check in agent to do). So to be safe, as a fall back, I am only going to get them to short check to KUL.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaffir76
But why .. we love to hear of such circumstances & details here on FT!

I assume that u are traveling on a non OW airline -> MH

In short, yes it can be done. But the reality is that most likely, they will not & instead ask you to collect the bags & re check them at the check in counters.

Simply put, it's extra work for the airline staff at the transit desk & baggage handlers to identify & re-tag the bags so unless it's under special circumstances e.g. flight cancellations, they won't do it.

But please update us after the trip of your experience nonetheless.
Ah thanks. So KUL is part of the "lazy' airport.
HKG and SIN they proactively do it for you so i was wondering if that was the case in KUL. In any case I have time to go out and come back in. But wanted to see if KUL has this service
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:19 am

Instead of KUL being considered 'lazy' (tho, in other areas I may not disagree), I'd say it's more accurate to note SIN & HKG as exemplar airports where practices & staff do well more than is really needed.

Though, are you certain HKG & SIN would recheck bags at the transit desk when the passenger is coming off of a short-checked ticket (especially if that is from a SQ/CX flight)?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Ticket #1 :
PER -xKUL - PEN (MH)

Ticket #2
KUL - HKG (KA)
I would advise you to pick up your bags at KUL and then check-in with KA even if KA offered to do it. MH/KA (depending who the handling agent for KA is) will scan your PER-KUL bag tag and they will know that your final is PEN.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My question is actually very specific:

The specific question is:

1. Assuming my luggage is only able to be tagged through to KUL (on a full service airline). Will the KUL airside transit desk be able to retag my baggage onto my onward destination, without me having to go airside (again assuming my onward connection is on a full service airline)?

The boring long story

The is the real situation in case people want to know, but I did not specify it because I will undoubtedly get not so relevant comments like
- MH allows throughcheck to other OW carriers (yes I know this... but there is a risk MH PER is unable to through check in my case)

Ticket #1 :
PER -xKUL - PEN (MH)

Ticket #2
KUL - HKG (KA)

In normal cases, MH will through check to KA. No problem. But here I am asking the counter staff to short check to KUL (which could be an ask in itself), and I am unsure if they will instead be able to through check to my KA flight instead (it may be possible, but we are potentially getting into the too complicated for check in agent to do). So to be safe, as a fall back, I am only going to get them to short check to KUL.
MH PER will only short check it to KUL when there is sufficient time for you exit immigration/customs eg more than 3 hours. Then you can tell them to have to take something out for a friend waiting at the airport etc.

But if the connection is too tight, MH might simply refuse.

Why don't you reroute your ticket to just end in KUL instead of to PEN? Yeah I know it costs money but at least that way you can thru check it to HKG.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: NZ
When I want to short check like this I usually add a stopover into the itinerary. Yes, it costs extra in taxes, but in KUL the taxes are not that high. Alternatively pick flights with a 12 hour plus layover.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Why don't you reroute your ticket to just end in KUL instead of to PEN? Yeah I know it costs money but at least that way you can thru check it to HKG.
Originally Posted by minz56
When I want to short check like this I usually add a stopover into the itinerary. Yes, it costs extra in taxes, but in KUL the taxes are not that high. Alternatively pick flights with a 12 hour plus layover.
Yeah my bad on that one.
Basically I was in a rush to book and the crappy website was not able to price a stopover / multi city itin. I was worried the fare was a mistake fare or was going to sell out soon so I just booked it (i paid PEN-PER J return for c.RM2,200 over the Christmas/NY period - btw tought it was a A330 but it has changed now to a 738 arrggh).

What I should have done on hindsight was call up to book over the phone as a stopover given I was going to dump the final leg.

I can add a stopover no problem but as other mentioned it costs $$. Rather get them to short check in the first instance. Though if that fails, I will either call the MH line or visit the ticketing desk and add the stopover at the airport presumably... or be honest with the agent in PER and tell them I intend to no show the final leg
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: NZ
How long is your layover in KL as it stands?

As you are in J you will go through Fasttrack immigration at KLIA which could save you a LOT of time over the Y queue!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
How long is your layover in KL as it stands?

As you are in J you will go through Fasttrack immigration at KLIA which could save you a LOT of time over the Y queue!
have a 2 hr layover. i'm not afraid of going out and coming back in (given APEC/J arrivals). but obviously rather stay airside if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.