Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

OneWorld lounge access - frustrating response from Malaysia Airlines

OneWorld lounge access - frustrating response from Malaysia Airlines

Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Frustrating email response from contact centre

I had a frustrating e-mail exchange with Malaysia Airlines. I explained very carefully via e-mail that I was arriving on British Airways first class and connecting to a domestic business class flight, and asked them to confirm that I was eligible to access the Golden Lounge FIRST CLASS section. I gave them my booking reference and I specifically typed FIRST CLASS in all caps. I also quoted the OneWorld lounge access rules. I wanted this in writing as I wanted to prevent an argument at the lounge entrance.

They replied with a non-answer: "Kindly be advised that you are eligible for access to the Golden Lounge for First class and Business class passengers."

No doubt someone trying to meet a KPI of providing 24 hour responses, except it's a non-response in this case!

Last edited by simpletastes; Sep 15, 2017 at 2:58 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by simpletastes
I had a frustrating e-mail exchange with Malaysia Airlines. I explained very carefully via e-mail that I was arriving on British Airways first class and connecting to a domestic business class flight, and asked them to confirm that I was eligible to access the Golden Lounge FIRST CLASS section. I gave them my booking reference and I specifically typed FIRST CLASS in all caps. I also quoted the OneWorld lounge access rules. I wanted this in writing as I wanted to prevent an argument at the lounge entrance.

They replied with a non-answer: "Kindly be advised that you are eligible for access to the Golden Lounge for First class and Business class passengers."

No doubt someone trying to meet a KPI of providing 24 hour responses, except it's a non-response in this case!
I am not sure I would bother trying to get something in writing from any airline prior to travel for this. It is clear you would have access as per oneworld rules:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

KARFA, I am aware of oneworld lounge access rules but I am not sure why you are trying to almost blame this on me? This topic is about the quality of responses from the contact centre. As explained in my post, I wanted to get confirmation in writing and it is my right to do so, to prevent arguments with lounge agents who may not be familiar with OneWorld access rules. A common occurrence.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For MAS at KLIA there is a domestic lounge in the semi-separate area for domestic departures. When you come off the BA service then you should have access to the MAS First Lounge in the Satellite - much better than the domestic Golden Lounge, but it sure ain't CCR - but you then have to get over to the other building and clear passport control along the way. So personally I would go directly over to the domestic wing of KLIA to ensure I could make the next flight. Moreover I strongly suspect that at the First lounge in the Satellite they would urge you to do the same.

But yes, there isn't much point emailing a question like this to an airline if you have access to Flyertalk, rightly or wrongly. The person answering your email may never have been on an aircraft in their life, whereas you have people on FT who can tell you the carpet tile manufacturer in some of these lounges. Moreover if the email came back with either a wrong or right answer it's not going to get you past a lounge agent standing their ground.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Their response was correct. There is no dedicated first lounge on the domestic side of the airport, just a single Golden Lounge for first and business class passengers.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks corporate-wage-slave. I have a 4-5 hour layover and prefer the First Class lounge in the satellite terminal rather than the Business Class lounge in the domestic terminal. I appreciate your response and that may in fact be reality but really can't agree with the justification "The person answering your email may never have been on an aircraft in their life" for poor customer service. I don't think other airlines would behave this way. And more importantly there will be no human progress if we don't uphold standards.....
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks ajeloenard, I would like to access the first class section in the satelite lounge (as I believe is my entitlement under oneworld lounge access rules). My BA flight arrives there. I have a 4-5 hour layover. I am familiar with KLIA lounges.

The discussion we are having here exactly illustrates why I wanted written confirmation - I don't want them to send me to the Business class lounge in the international satellite terminal or the mixed lounge in the domestic terminal.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
KARFA, I am aware of oneworld lounge access rules but I am not sure why you are trying to almost blame this on me? This topic is about the quality of responses from the contact centre. As explained in my post, I wanted to get confirmation in writing and it is my right to do so, to prevent arguments with lounge agents who may not be familiar with OneWorld access rules. A common occurrence.
Hi. I am really not trying to blame you at all - where do you see me doing that in my post exactly?

However, I think just as corporate-wage-slave has suggested, there isn't much point emailing the airline beforehand. If you do wish to do so then knock yourself out
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:55 am
Original Poster

To their credit, Malaysia Airlines has now responded with an apology and a clear answer, and they replied to my e-mail very quickly. So my faith is restored! Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
you should be able to hop in to the first class section no problem.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Note: the lounges may be still closed for renovations though they are expected to re-open this weekend or next week.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you wolf72.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Thanks ajeloenard, I would like to access the first class section in the satelite lounge (as I believe is my entitlement under oneworld lounge access rules). My BA flight arrives there. I have a 4-5 hour layover. I am familiar with KLIA lounges.

The discussion we are having here exactly illustrates why I wanted written confirmation - I don't want them to send me to the Business class lounge in the international satellite terminal or the mixed lounge in the domestic terminal.
1) The BA flight lands on the international sat terminal. The First and Business class lounges for international flights is in the same terminal.

2) The regional golden lounge is accessible from the international sat terminal by taking the monorail to the main terminal..getting out of the train and turning RIGHT 30 meters. Look for the set of escalators going up to your 2 o'clock.

3) The domestic golden lounge is one level down from the regional lounge in the main terminal but you need to pass through immigration counters for transit passengers and a security check before you proceed to your domestic gate in the main terminal.

Not sure where you are flying to for your connecting flight but if it is domestic, be aware, that immigration line can be VERY VERY long if you are not careful for the transit immigration desk during peak hours which may require a 20-40 minute wait sometimes.

Other times, its a 2-5 minute wait and a breeze through both immigration and the security check.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:14 am

While not excusing the thick response from MH, as MP has found out, it's quicker to get answers from FT!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolf72
Not sure where you are flying to for your connecting flight but if it is domestic, be aware, that immigration line can be VERY VERY long if you are not careful for the transit immigration desk during peak hours which may require a 20-40 minute wait sometimes.

Other times, its a 2-5 minute wait and a breeze through both immigration and the security check.
Definitely worth highlighting and I remember there was once passengers got aggitated and flagged down police officers to help as there was a very long line with only one immigration officer on duty. (The police officers naturally didn't want to get involved.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.