Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

OneWorld lounge access - frustrating response from Malaysia Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OneWorld lounge access - frustrating response from Malaysia Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
If you want to have some form of written confirmation, why can't you just show them the OW lounge access rules?

I wouldn't worry too much about what the customer service people say. Their colleagues manning the lounges should know better.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you want to have some form of written confirmation, why can't you just show them the OW lounge access rules?

I wouldn't worry too much about what the customer service people say. Their colleagues manning the lounges should know better.
Some lounge staff actually don't exactly pay attention to OW access rules, or otherwise are told not to adhere (e.g. Qantas LAX First Class Lounge in the past).

It would be a charm to shower, after a 12 hour flight from Heathrow, something not offered at the domestic lounge (which, if memory serves me right, is closed at the moment). Having a written confirmation, would practically be more enforcing in a sense, especially when it is specific to the airline.

Cheers!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Some lounge staff actually don't exactly pay attention to OW access rules, or otherwise are told not to adhere (e.g. Qantas LAX First Class Lounge in the past).

It would be a charm to shower, after a 12 hour flight from Heathrow, something not offered at the domestic lounge (which, if memory serves me right, is closed at the moment). Having a written confirmation, would practically be more enforcing in a sense, especially when it is specific to the airline.

Cheers!
You are the only one who understands me
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

Cheers!
If they're not willing to accept the OW rules, what makes you think they're going to grant you access based on a print out of an email? If you encounter a stubborn misinformed agent then, I can assure you, showing a dozen print outs won't do the trick.

As pointed out earlier in the thread you should have access to the international FCL before clearing immigration. Some might point you to the domestic lounge at first but if you insist politely, you'll be fine. The MH lounge staff are generally nice people, quite unlike the QF LAX dragons.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

If they're not willing to accept the OW rules, what makes you think they're going to grant you access based on a print out of an email? If you encounter a stubborn misinformed agent then, I can assure you, showing a dozen print outs won't do the trick.
I agree it might not help with the most stubborn ones but might help with the less stubborn ones. In fact, I intend to have with me the print outs of BOTH the OneWorld rules and the e-mail from the Airlines contact center confirming First Class section access.

I know I am being pedantic.

I also agree that Malaysia Airlines staff tend to be nicer and more relaxed, so I don't expect them to have a bad attitude but they may still refuse entry due to genuinely not knowing the rules.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:13 am

As pointed out earlier in the thread you should have access to the international FCL before clearing immigration. Some might point you to the domestic lounge at first but if you insist politely, you'll be fine.
Like I have said earlier, a written confirmation would practically be more enforcing. As one has had communication with the airline (in this case MH), specifically with the airline itself as opposed to general rules, it so becomes possible to refer to acknowledgement from within the airline itself.

Now if one does encounter a stubborn agent, you have got even more legitimate grounds to argue as this is confirmed by the airline itself.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by simpletastes
I agree it might not help with the most stubborn ones but might help with the less stubborn ones. In fact, I intend to have with me the print outs of BOTH the OneWorld rules and the e-mail from the Airlines contact center confirming First Class section access.
I agree, it's never a bad idea to research and prepare beforehand.

Last edited by clubeurope; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Like I have said earlier, a written confirmation would practically be more enforcing. As one has had communication with the airline (in this case MH), specifically with the airline itself as opposed to general rules, it so becomes possible to refer to acknowledgement from within the airline itself.

Now if one does encounter a stubborn agent, you have got even more legitimate grounds to argue as this is confirmed by the airline itself.

The written confirmation also addresses my specific travel itinerary and situation, rather than oneworld rules which will rely on further interpretation.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
You are the only one who understands me
There are showers in the international business class Golden Lounge as well, in the same terminal as where your aircraft park's at.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:08 pm

Just to be clear, the two flights are on the same ticket? If yes, you can try carrying the OW rules with you.

As already stated though, if a lounge agent is not willing to accept the oneworld rules as written, then you will be SOL in this instance, regardless of any printed email which can easily be... adjusted (though you can always try complaining after the fact).

Also, FYI, might make this moot for the satellite lounge (though the Regional Lounge in the main building should be reopened by then):
Originally Posted by Alawyer
The Satelite lounge is scheduled to shut on 30th Sept and we are expected to use the one in the main terminal in the meantime.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb

Cheers!
A shower was available in the domestic lounge, prior to its closure of course.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:50 am

another you may want to double check with MH is when they expect to close international lounge. i was there a week ago and staff in lounge told me the lounge will be closed for renovation soon and expected to reopen in DEC.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by essi316
another you may want to double check with MH is when they expect to close international lounge. i was there a week ago and staff in lounge told me the lounge will be closed for renovation soon and expected to reopen in DEC.
At least the gates aren't too bad (or are the lounge not too good? hmmm) when they're not crowded (albeit without free drinks).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

Cheers!
As someone mentioned before, MH F is slated to close soon for some renovations.

TBH the MH F lounge is nothing to write about. And the showers are pretty ordinary.

For showers - I would actually use the CX Lounge (they use a nearby spa facilities).

MH Business Lounges (Satellite and Main Regional) both have showers too.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Definitely worth highlighting and I remember there was once passengers got aggitated and flagged down police officers to help as there was a very long line with only one immigration officer on duty. (The police officers naturally didn't want to get involved.)
Note that if you're connecting thru, you go to the transit area Gates A/B immigration line and not the regular line. Its usually empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.