Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Can you explain why Malaysian air is SO HIGH!

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

We are thinking of a trip next fall to China, Singapore and Malaysia so i was putting in routes with different airlines to get a feel for the prices for biz class prices for mid November of this yr. just to see what it is.

UAL ORD-PEK was around $6500.00 for two. Hainan ORD-PEK was around $5700.00 which intrigues me as its well rated and is also a NS.

Then I tried Malaysian ORD-KUL thinking we could go there for a few days before going to PEK. OMG! I entered the dates 3 times as I could not believe it. So with a Nov. 6th-20th time frame they are asking $42000 for two.

Any idea why this is so ridiculously high?

I tried ANA, KAL, JAL, AC and Eva with a range roughly for biz for two of around say 8k to 12k but my God whats with Malaysian?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Almost certainly because MH don't fly to the US, which means on the long sectors (probably between ORD and either LHR or NRT) they are codesharing - or just using the services of - another carrier. Best approach would be to book a separate ticket to KUL from PEK.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Intra-Asia MH flights are usually very cheap, as long as you are not originating or
ending in KUL. I have found, for example that MH BKK-KUL-CGK is half the price
of any non-LCC carrier in J class. So be sure to look for something like PEK-KUL-SIN-KUL-PEK, with a stopover on one of the connections.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I think I'll fly ORD-PEK first. Then PEK-SIN-KUL-PEK. Can I do stop over is both KUL and SIN without a big fee?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

You could do that. Now, one would not consider SIN as a stopover as that should, I assume, be your destination if you choose to fly Malaysian. That being such, you could do a stopover in Kuala Lumpur, where usually there would not be a significant price difference.

To book such a fare, do use the Multi-city option when you book your tickets.

Although, do bear in mind that the price differences may vary by date and seasonal demand, so do also look for other airlines as well, as there is a great likelihood that they may have cheaper fares.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you. All in the planning stages now. I looked at Air Asia and tried the multi-city thing but it seems they don't go to SIN. I will tinker with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Thank you. All in the planning stages now. I looked at Air Asia and tried the multi-city thing but it seems they don't go to SIN. I will tinker with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
What do you mean AirAsia doesn't fly to SIN? They have dozens of flights a day from numerous cities across SE Asia.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:09 am

I just checked the AirAsia website and I see what you mean there Jacketwatch. Unfortunately, multi-city is only available on AirAsia's long-haul arm, AirAsia X. As such, AAX does not fly to Singapore, but it's main operations does.

AirAsia, being a low-cost carrier saves loads of money by limiting this as it would mean giving the liability to the customer to handle one's luggage and check-in for the short-haul leg.

Being so, if one really want to save and choose to take AirAsia, it may be a good idea to allow 3-4 hours between the long-haul and short-haul to clear immigration, reclaim luggage, check-in and etc.

If one considers it not worth the hassle, then I'd most definitely take a full-service carrier like Malaysian or Singapore Airlines for the mentioned destinations.

Otherwise, one could definitely book three one way segments (i.e. PEK-KUL-SIN, SIN-KUL, KUL-PEK), which should probably be the same price considering that this is on a low cost carrier.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Being so, if one really want to save and choose to take AirAsia, it may be a good idea to allow 3-4 hours between the long-haul and short-haul to clear immigration, reclaim luggage, check-in and etc.
Just a note for the OP who seems unfamiliar with KLIA and AirAsia: AirAsia (and Jetstar Asia + Tiger Airways) is in a wholly separate terminal building (klia2) from the MH flights, which as clubeurope mentioned will require you to clear immigration and customs, and then take a short (though free) train ride between the two terminals before you can check in on that side..

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 17, 2017 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Ok so thanks for all the info. BTW I plugged in ORD-PEK in biz for Nov. for 2 pax. this Yr. to get an idea of prices for 2018 so here it is:
UA approx. $6700.00 NS on 777-200.
AA approx. $5800.00 NS on 787.
Hainan approx. $5600.00 NS on 787.

So am I missing something. Hainan is a 5* carrier with rave reviews on Skytax so it seems like a no-brainer to me. They do not have daily departures from ORD but that's a non-issue for us.

Air China is approx. $5000.00 but they have stops, out is on a 747 and back on a 787. That's out.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by crackjack
Just a note for the OP who seems unfamiliar with KLIA and AirAsia: AirAsia (and Jetstar Asia + Tiger Airways) is in a wholly separate terminal building (klia2) from the MH flights, which as clubeurope mentioned will require you to clear immigration and customs, and then take a short (though free) train ride between the two terminals before you can check in on that side..
AFAIK the train is 2 MYR....

Just wandering

Fred
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Ok so thanks for all the info. BTW I plugged in ORD-PEK in biz for Nov. for 2 pax. this Yr. to get an idea of prices for 2018 so here it is:
UA approx. $6700.00 NS on 777-200.
AA approx. $5800.00 NS on 787.
Hainan approx. $5600.00 NS on 787.

So am I missing something. Hainan is a 5* carrier with rave reviews on Skytax so it seems like a no-brainer to me. They do not have daily departures from ORD but that's a non-issue for us.

Air China is approx. $5000.00 but they have stops, out is on a 747 and back on a 787. That's out.
All you're missing is the risk element. With fewer flights, HNA will offer no consumer protection if something goes wrong. However you are entirely right that the seat and service are far better value IF everything goes right. (I'll leave aside the question of whether HNA will still be flying that route in 2018...)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:34 pm

In addition to what MKE-MR has said, Hainan is a comparatively less known airline in the US v American or United.

In many ways, the airline industry is a rather price-elastic industry for many customers, where price would usually dictate one's decision on an airline. Being less known, and not part of any (global) alliance, Hainan has less to offer, to put it simply, and hence makes for cheaper prices.

Unless you are part of some sort of a frequent flyer program, I don't think there are many more reasons not to take Hainan. Being so, unless you are part of a Star Alliance frequent flyer program, I wouldn't personally opt to fly United considering their less than desirable business class product on the 777-200.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

We are part of Star Alliance but also want good service too and a NS. I do realize Hainan leaves ORD only 3-4 times per week but I can get a lot of miles by charging our trip on the Sapphire Reserve card as well as some trip insurance and given our level of satisfaction with the Star Alliance Asian partners we have used like ANA, Asiana and Thai I am for more inched to use Hainan next yr. if they continue to fly NS ORD-PEK and if their price point compared to the others stays constant as it is now. Thanks again the opinions. Good discussion!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.