Wiki Posts
Search

Massive Devaluation? Effective 10 June

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 3:15 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by nov11
I am confused about lounge access - that's standard for all OW except for maybe a few exclusive tier program in their own airline (QF Chairman's Lounge come to mind). OWS gets J class lounge and OWE gets F class lounge (and soon AA allows OWS/J in Flagship too). MH KUL lounges aren't great but that has nothing to do with Enrich.

Redemptions have been of great value before (a few years back) when a one-way KUL-LHR J ticket costs only 27,500 miles with the 50% off promo
True. Should clarify then - I find that it is better off crediting to QRPC because I mainly fly QR instead of MH, and my journeys on MH J come with included access to the Golden Lounge both at the satellite and main terminal but personally they aren't much different from Plaza Premium, than, say, QR's own lounge at Heathrow Terminal 4.

Interesting fact about the redemption promotions - admittedly I'm relatively new to the miles & points. Learnt something new today
Old May 25, 2017, 8:22 pm

I used to get 55k for rt J redemption to Europe few years ago on their 772, which is great value!

On the other hand, I have some odd 10k+ miles with QRPC, any suggestions on how to spend them?
Old May 26, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Feeling smart for dumping Enrich after the previous devaluation. That being said, I think I already got my fair share out of them. Those 5 27.5K KL-EUROPE J redemption during their amazing 50% off redemption and another 5 standard 47.5K Europe J redemption.

Happy at Aadvantage now, after 4 consecutive years of being Gold at Enrich. They gave me a year of Gold for free even after clocking 0EQM, but was smart enough not to go back to them.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by zsc
I live in KL. Multiple LHR-KL trips in a year, mostly in cattle class (Y). By all means, go for QRPC over Enrich. Enrich has never been valuable, the golden lounges can't compare to that of most other airlines (though I speak from limited Asian lounge experience), and redemptions have never been valuable either. You get very poor return for your loyalty to MH.

One thing to note is that if you want to fulfil the sector requirement for QRPC membership/renewal you'd almost definitely need to fly Asia-EU/similar long haul routes, and you're almost always going to be transiting in DOH. Very important to consider this as it will impact how easily you can retain status for.

Feel free to ask me anything if you'd like, I've been with Qatar for almost 3 years and am well satisfied with what they
Thank you very much for your answer! I did check the redemption tables from Qatar but was rather unpleasantly surprised to see the values are even worse than the Enrich rates, or did I totally misunderstand? How beneficial do you feel the Qatar program is in this regard?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by nov11
I fly a lot of AA and their food is average at best. Catering ex-US is meh for any airline in any cabin but I still don't get how AA and MH can work together in catering? They only share a few stations e.g. LHR, NRT, SYD etc.
AA refered here not the IATA code for American Airlines; it's abbreviation for AirAsia, a LCC based on Malaysia with associate airlines in other Asian countries.

yes, it's not interchangable; yes it's not correct use... but a lot of Southeast Asian call 'em that way
Old May 26, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by blueferrari
but a lot of Southeast Asian call 'em that way
Whilst that is true.... this is after all ...Flyertalk
Old May 26, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by blueferrari
AA refered here not the IATA code for American Airlines; it's abbreviation for AirAsia, a LCC based on Malaysia with associate airlines in other Asian countries.

yes, it's not interchangable; yes it's not correct use... but a lot of Southeast Asian call 'em that way
I suppose I'm one of the minorities then.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:15 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by quinzinho
Thank you very much for your answer! I did check the redemption tables from Qatar but was rather unpleasantly surprised to see the values are even worse than the Enrich rates, or did I totally misunderstand? How beneficial do you feel the Qatar program is in this regard?
Qatar has frequent miles promotions (i.e. 2x, 3x, as much as 5x miles) that most of my bookings are usually earning way more. Also, the many fare buckets available may seem confusing at first glance, but once you do a little more calculation, you may find some hidden deals. If you fly J a lot, you rack up miles together with these promotions very quickly, and at QR Gold (OW Sapphire) you get mileage bonuses and 40 Qcredits every year to spend on award flights/upgrades.

The summary is that it does take some initial 'investment' to reach a level where your mile accrual picks up, but once you've reached that point you'll find that your miles just keep coming, along with the extra Qcredits, which is an added benefit. Had I credited my QR flights to MH I would not have as many miles as I currently do.

Also, this is slightly unrelated to the airline programme, but Qatar has consistently had crazy fares since I've started travelling this frequently. Earlier in March I purchased LHR-KUL-LHR return in Y (lowest fare bucket) and it priced at 320GBP, never could've thought KL-London could be had for less than RM1800! My new record so far.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by zsc
Qatar has frequent miles promotions (i.e. 2x, 3x, as much as 5x miles) that most of my bookings are usually earning way more. Also, the many fare buckets available may seem confusing at first glance, but once you do a little more calculation, you may find some hidden deals. If you fly J a lot, you rack up miles together with these promotions very quickly, and at QR Gold (OW Sapphire) you get mileage bonuses and 40 Qcredits every year to spend on award flights/upgrades.

The summary is that it does take some initial 'investment' to reach a level where your mile accrual picks up, but once you've reached that point you'll find that your miles just keep coming, along with the extra Qcredits, which is an added benefit. Had I credited my QR flights to MH I would not have as many miles as I currently do.

Also, this is slightly unrelated to the airline programme, but Qatar has consistently had crazy fares since I've started travelling this frequently. Earlier in March I purchased LHR-KUL-LHR return in Y (lowest fare bucket) and it priced at 320GBP, never could've thought KL-London could be had for less than RM1800! My new record so far.
Sounds very good I must say. Will need to redeem all my points this year (actually before 10th June would be best , but getting a lot of miles after that still) and then start racking up Qmiles next year.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I stopped reading at #15 and am not interested in reading another 3 pages as I am a BAEC member. Thus, I am asking this question:

In late August I am flying KUL-HAN in Business class. The printout states:
MALAYSIAN AIRLINE BERHAD DBA M 752 Z AIRCRAFT-738 / NONSTOP / MEAL

Is this Z Business class? If so, how many BAEC miles and Tier Points should I get with the devaluation.

Same for the return HAN-KUL, also in Business class:
MON 04SEP 17
MALAYSIAN AIRLINE BERHAD DBA M 753 D AIRCRAFT-738 / NONSTOP / MEAL

I am not an Enrich member (only BAEC) so all award miles and Tier Points go to them when flying OW carriers. Will the MH devaluation affect the BAEC tables that I use to indicate miles and TPs for my On World flights? OOOpppsss! More than 1 question. My wrist should be slapped

Thanks in advance.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@tmac100 this only affects enrich earning. Earning to BA is unchanged and any questions about earning to Ba program should be directed to the BA forum.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sxc
@tmac100 this only affects enrich earning. Earning to BA is unchanged and any questions about earning to Ba program should be directed to the BA forum.
Thank you for this information. I am not going to change my MH flights and will wait until I have flown both sectors to see what happens. The Enrich devaluation is not a deal breaker for me!

Nevertheless, I still look forward to flying MH occasionally ^ as their flights are generally quite comfortable - from past experience of 4 flights (domestic and int'l).
Old May 28, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
@tmac100 MH can only make changes to MH loyalty program. 12 years and no learning?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale
@tmac100.... 12 years and no learning?
Huh? Is this a forum that flames and (perhaps) insults folks?
Explain svp

We all await what you mean by this comment - for clarification of course. I do not make a practice of reading between the lines of world-wide contributors. I just take the comments for what they are - anonymous responses..... and usually honest ones.

However I wonder what the 12 years has to do with my question? I do know no one on this thread (or elsewhere on FT) is all-knowing/omnipotent. Furthermore, why have FT if we are all all-knowing/omnipotent?

No matter. I see malevolence exists here on this MH forum - as elsewhere on FT.

That said there are still caring individuals who do give thoughtful comments and useful information - instead of thinly veiled malevolent comments. Thank you to the thoughtful ones, and to those who suffer from malevolence, perhaps a prescription pharmaceutical can help you when reading FT threads.

Peaceful times and happy reading

Last edited by tmac100; May 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
I stopped reading at #15 and am not interested in reading another 3 pages as I am a BAEC member.
Huh? Is this a forum that flames and (perhaps) insults folks?
Explain svp
Then perhaps you shouldn't have opened with one.

and to those who suffer from malevolence, perhaps a prescription pharmaceutical can help you when reading FT threads.
Nor does closing with another one make the discussion in any way helpful.

I do know no one on this thread (or elsewhere on FT) is all-knowing/omnipotent. Furthermore, why have FT if we are all all-knowing/omnipotent?
This statement is hyperbole. I'm not sure why you are going to extremes, Ashkale's query is not unreasonable - after 12 years and 1000 odd posts that you ought to know this devaluation has nothing to do with BAEC. I put forward that as you've reached the heady heights of BAEC Silver, you must have earned a tier point or two in the past, and unless you did that completely oblivious to which airline you flew or how you got to that status, I fail to see how your question, in addition to the abovementioned opening remark, is nothing more than attempt to rile.

We can go into the whys and wherefores about what constitutes a reasonable or unreasonable question. I suspect we will agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.