Is MH short A330s now?

Old May 20, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Is MH short A330s now?

Just saw in another forum that the KUL-PER had been switched to a 738 (from A330).
Anyone know whats going on?
Old May 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by ermen
Just saw in another forum that the KUL-PER had been switched to a 738 (from A330).
Anyone know whats going on?
Probably due to demand more than anything. They should be OK. They are still operating the same number of routes with 14 A333 whilst one was in the shop for refurbishment and they added HKG earlier this year and DPS is swapping to A333 soon.

3 weekly DEL flights will be swapped to 738 but the down gauge is offset by 3 new daytime weekly flights ex-KUL on 738 (this is due to the capacity cap for DEL-KUL).
Old May 21, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
yes, because 1 plane crashed during landing last month, so causing short of plane.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/natio...-sibu-airport/
Old May 21, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by jiunsoh
yes, because 1 plane crashed during landing last month, so causing short of plane.

Yes but that was a 738. how does it affect a330 operations?
Old May 21, 2017, 10:40 am

Because they are short of planes, so need to rotate 737, a330 and even a380 to fly certain route.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

It didn't crash. I would be a little bit careful with the use of that word when explaining an incident accurately mate.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ermen
Yes but that was a 738. how does it affect a330 operations?
The problem starts with their expansion into China and increasing frequency to key destinations and revenue generating destinations.

MH is now utilizing most of their aircraft and have very few options as far as replacements go.

They now have added directly flights to China out of Langkawi and Kota Kinabalu, maintain a once a week Kota Kinabalu to Perth flight on a 737-800 and had a few issues over the past 8 weeks with landing in Saudi Arabia that forced some changes to the type of aircraft being used there.

They are juggling and having to problem solve at the moment because they simply do not have the spare aircraft available to compensate when 1 or more aircraft go down for technical reasons.

The sibu incident aside, they have had 2 737's with tyre bursting problems at KLIA this month that caused a domino effect, not to mention bad weather problems in East Malaysia as well with flights being diverted or cancelled.

There is no doubt they can use a couple more spare 737's and A330's but they seem to be dilly dallying about this and it's something they really should have sorted out 2-3 months ago by leasing them.

There are a lot of aircraft on the market at the moment available for lease or purchasing but MH have been a bit picky with committing to leasing and looking for cheap deals which, in the long run, has not been a prudent measure.

They also have 3 A380's sitting idle on the tarmac which could be roped in to do some of the Aussie or HK flights if need be but, I guess their mind is made up about them already and don`t want to use them for emergency purposes like they have now..

Their 737's and A330's are being worked to the max at this moment in time.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
It didn't crash. I would be a little bit careful with the use of that word when explaining an incident accurately mate.
yes my bad, that is not same crash like mh17,
but what word woud you suggest best to describe that plane?
Old May 22, 2017, 1:48 am
Suspended

yes my bad, that is not same crash like mh17,
but what word woud you suggest best to describe that plane?
The MH 737 landed during very heavy rain but went off the left side of the runway and came to a stop on soft ground about 1200 meters/4000 feet past the runway threshold with the nose gear collapsed.

I believe we call this runway excursion.

Also, an image of the Air Asia AK A320 which also had a bad landing during heavy rain in Kuching a few years back undergoing repairs under a tent in Kuching after that incident as an example.
Attached Images    
Old May 23, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Because they are short of planes, so need to rotate 737, a330 and even a380 to fly certain route.
I thought MH has 747s in storage they can temporarily bring back.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
I thought MH has 747s in storage they can temporarily bring back.
Not going to happen. What has not been sold off are already stripped and ready for sale.

The only 747's I can see way out at the hanger bays are the old cargo 747's I think used to belong to MH though I stand to be corrected.

The only 747 they refurbished last year (bizzare!) for use has been sold off already by Kazannah.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
The only 747 they refurbished last year (bizzare!) for use has been sold off already by Kazannah.
Was the interior refurbished? I thought it only got a new paint job.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Was the interior refurbished? I thought it only got a new paint job.
It had to be as the aircraft was not used for over 4 years and was lying idle unused.

Not sure of the total amount spent/wasted on that project though.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
It had to be as the aircraft was not used for over 4 years and was lying idle unused.

Not sure of the total amount spent/wasted on that project though.
IIRC it still had the old 772-era seats.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
IIRC it still had the old 772-era seats.
Sorry I don't know what IIRC is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.