Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH A330 versus JAL 787 J Recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH A330 versus JAL 787 J Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by ermen
Another data point.
Just did this today. MH codeshare, JL metal and BP (but BP did write sold JL XXX sold as MH YYY)
Just did this this morning too without problem > Malaysia Airlines clearly printed at the top, but a JL flight number on the BP (albeit the 'JL' letters were printed on the other half of the paper that got taken at the boarding gate).
I learnt that in effect its a Ą1000 discount one gets which equates to the shower fee, but it is also possible to use a nap room for an hour if one makes up the Ą500 difference in cost (Fee Ą1,500).

I think I should have stuck with the MH operated flight though. The JAL service didnt afford me any real sleep > I skipped dinner and breakfast but the noise whilst they carried it out for others and the various announcments such as duty free shopping disturbed me. They wanted to start breakfast service 2 hours before arrival, and as the flight was 30 minutes early that put breakfast distruptiond from 4:30am JST = 3:30am KL Time!
The inability to select seats when on the codeshare also meant I couldnt avail of a window seat that might have helped a bit as I found the aisle seats quite exposed. For some reason I though there would be a sliding partition but it was all open.

If they offered a shorter breakfast snack option that would have avoided a 2 hr wake up call that woukd have been useful. As it was I arrived tired and hungry. I did manage to get a cup of tea, served in a paper cup branded Coca-Cola which felt economy-esk.

Last edited by jbfield; Jun 10, 2017 at 8:18 pm
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by jbfield
Just did this this morning too without problem > Malaysia Airlines clearly printed at the top, but a JL flight number on the BP (albeit the 'JL' letters were printed on the other half of the paper that got taken at the boarding gate).
I learnt that in effect its a Ą1000 discount one gets which equates to the shower fee, but it is also possible to use a nap room for an hour if one makes up the Ą500 difference in cost (Fee Ą1,500).

I think I should have stuck with the MH operated flight though. The JAL service didnt afford me any real sleep > I skipped dinner and breakfast but the noise whilst they carried it out for others and the various announcments such as duty free shopping disturbed me. They wanted to start breakfast service 2 hours before arrival, and as the flight was 30 minutes early that put breakfast distruptiond from 4:30am JST = 3:30am KL Time!
The inability to select seats when on the codeshare also meant I couldnt avail of a window seat that might have helped a bit as I found the aisle seats quite exposed. For some reason I though there would be a sliding partition but it was all open.

If they offered a shorter breakfast snack option that would have avoided a 2 hr wake up call that woukd have been useful. As it was I arrived tired and hungry. I did manage to get a cup of tea, served in a paper cup branded Coca-Cola which felt economy-esk.
Lol were you on the same flight as me (Sun morning arrival)?

Pilot came on the intercom 70mins before landing asking the crew to prepare. And serving breakfast 2 hrs before landing is wrong.

I think that the time management on this flight is wrong. I fly CX CMB-HKG, and there, the crew don't wake you up that early to serve you breakfast, and the pilot certainly only comes on around 40mins before landing...
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
Lol were you on the same flight as me (Sun morning arrival)?

Pilot came on the intercom 70mins before landing asking the crew to prepare. And serving breakfast 2 hrs before landing is wrong.

I think that the time management on this flight is wrong. I fly CX CMB-HKG, and there, the crew don't wake you up that early to serve you breakfast, and the pilot certainly only comes on around 40mins before landing...
Ah, yes, the same flight as you. Landed about 06:30 (scheduled 07:05) JA867J.
I'm hoping the day-time flight back will be better.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

JAL does not give amenity kit for this segment but MH does? also looking at this sector.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:29 pm

JAL gives slippers and a packet contianing eye mask, moisture (face) mask, foam ear plugs and a toothbrush. Nothing exciting.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
If you can pull up the native JL reference, you can assign seats.

I didn't say JL's service was poor. I just think i like MH's style a bit better
Hi TGFlyerGirl, could you explain how one would obtain the JL record locater? TIA!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
JAL J product is great and definitely sparsely populated than MH except on Fri nights from Kul.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cowie
Hi TGFlyerGirl, could you explain how one would obtain the JL record locater? TIA!
Since JL just switched to Amadeus last month, you can try to key in your MH record locator on JL website and see if anything shows up.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:39 pm

Might be better now if you can somehow get it yourself - but before the migration MH refused to give me the JL PNR - told me they couldn't for data protection reasons?? So I never did manage to do anything with my booking, though I had managed to select some seats through the MH app at one point that did stick.

Unfortunately JAL changed the config of the 787 to their new "Apex III suite" and I ended up at the front of the rear cabin and couldn't change it - which I was a little worried about noise - not that I should have worried as other posters have said - JL has a ridiculous service routine of a dinner and then breakfast at 4.30am mid way through the flight a couple of hours later with various announcements and goings on .
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Since JL just switched to Amadeus last month, you can try to key in your MH record locator on JL website and see if anything shows up.
Thanks. So I punched in the MH flight details into the JL site. The booking shows up and I can select seats on my MH-operated flights, but not the JL-operated one. Oh the irony!

I guess I have to put aside my OCD and hope for the best at check in!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask a similar question:
MH A350 vs. JL 787 in J on the overnight flight KUL-NRT?

I think both now have full flat seats on these flights.
I will be flying MH J from India, then continuing in JL on NRT-ORD, so open to either airline.
I lived in Japan for 7 years so do love Japanese food, but also love my satay.... in addition, those strict JL rules in terms of service timings makes me lean towards MH.... (reminds me of how much less sleep you get on a KLM redeye flight vs. Delta!)

TIA for anyone with experience on these flights in the last year or so.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb Data point - MH A330/A350 HKG @ AUG. 2018 + JL 787 NRT @ FEB. 2019

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask a similar question:
MH A350 vs. JL 787 in J on the overnight flight KUL-NRT?

I think both now have full flat seats on these flights.
I will be flying MH J from India, then continuing in JL on NRT-ORD, so open to either airline.
I lived in Japan for 7 years so do love Japanese food, but also love my satay.... in addition, those strict JL rules in terms of service timings makes me lean towards MH.... (reminds me of how much less sleep you get on a KLM redeye flight vs. Delta!)

TIA for anyone with experience on these flights in the last year or so.
Firstly, I'm super impressed that you found this old thread

So here goes - hope you find the info. useful (if you search by my username, I posted about my experience in the JL forum earlier this year + a pic of the seat & narrow food cubby)

1. Flight & dep. time - Similar
10.50pm - 11.30pm / 6.5 hours
Really important how fast you can fall asleep

2. Seat - MH A350
JL's 787 foot cubby narrows & tapers right to the end which makes sleeping uncomfortable, esp. for side sleepers & tall passengers (me)
(I am 6'1" / 1.85m)
OK if you are a back sleeper, I suppose ?

I find MH'S A330 / A350 to be more comfortable - though to be fair, I only flew with them to HKG & not on a red eye flight to NRT

3. F&B - Similar
B/fast on an airplane isn't much to get excited about, but on the inbound, catering exNRT was excellent.
The bento set was exquisite :-:
Best to maximize sleep on the outbound & have something to eat at the lounge instead
If choosing JAL, def. order the bento on the inbound

NRT-KUL

Is there satay service from NRT-KUL on MH? I'm not sure ...

4. Cabin crew - hit & miss
The JL Japanese FA serving my aisle was robotic, and not particularly flexible nor friendly (no warmth detected)
However the Hong Kong FA serving the other aisle was much better - it's a pity that my Mom slept thru' the entire flight while I was awake for most of it ...

Service on the inbound was much better though I don't remember much of it.
MH has their fair share of hit & miss crew as well, & service most likely / may not be as polished / gentle as JAL (excluding the FA I got to NRT)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.