FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   MH Turnaround / Back to Back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1830418-mh-turnaround-back-back.html)

ermen Mar 19, 2017 9:02 am

MH Turnaround / Back to Back

I was wondering if anybody had any experience in doing an MH Domestic Back to Back / Turnaround?

I was thinking of doing a few domestic turnarounds to go on a tier point run, in particular, something like KUL - KBR (and JHB) return. In that regard:

1. Will the outbound and inbound plane be the same?
2. Can KLIA (transit desk probably) issue all my boarding passes in one go in the event I am unable to do OLCI?

Guy Betsy Mar 19, 2017 11:46 am

Just do OLCI separately..
Are they all on separate tickets? Then it shouldn't be a problem.

Chances are that you will have come in from the same plane and will be going out again at KBR since MH only flies between there and KUL.

SilverChris Mar 19, 2017 6:56 pm

It's highly unlikely that you won't be able to OLCI for a domestic flight.

ermen Mar 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Sounds good.. I hope OLCI will work (sometimes I have had trouble with MH OLCI on international sector)

Thinking of doing something crazy like this

KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - JHB
JBH - xKUL - TPE (next day)
KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - TPE

Wish me luck.. hope I don't die of boredom!

Guy Betsy Mar 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I see you're doing a BA tier point run ! :D

Like me...

For domestic flights you can do phone check in - use the app.

For international flights, MH needs to verify your documents so even if you do phone check in, you still need to go to the counter to collect your BP.

You'll get lots of satay for the domestic runs ! TPE food isn't bad too.

ermen Mar 20, 2017 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 28059129)
I see you're doing a BA tier point run ! :D

Like me...

For domestic flights you can do phone check in - use the app.

For international flights, MH needs to verify your documents so even if you do phone check in, you still need to go to the counter to collect your BP.

You'll get lots of satay for the domestic runs ! TPE food isn't bad too.

ah really? didn't know that you get satay on domestic :)

looks like the TPE trip sold out of cheap J class, so need to rejig

CX_newbie Mar 20, 2017 11:57 pm

I did a return run KUL to JHB a few months back. Something like a 7am outbound and 8:30am return. No problems. Walked off the plane at JHB. Stood at the gate, walked back on. Security is very chill on these domestic flights. OLCI no issues. It was on two separate PNRs as i couldn't book the return with such a short turnaround. Also to note it was HBO.

Same crew. No questions asked. Just a smile and a hello again cx_newbie.

For my BA tier runs, I like to add a 2,000+ sector to mix things up for the 140TP level. Usually decent fares to India (Delhi / Mumbai both qualify). Incheon also had a very good sale recently too.

You should also consider PEN. It's the only domestic airport with a lounge.

ermen Mar 21, 2017 12:31 am

PEN is slightly more expensive for many of the flights in the TP run. Found that JHB and KBR were cheaper (~RM240 consistently for a one way J ticket)

Yes I didn't know about the DEL/BOM flights until recently.. would be worth going to DEL and return on the A330 to save a night on hotel :)

kaffir76 Mar 21, 2017 5:38 am

Turnaround/back to back during Easter

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 28058737)
Sounds good.. I hope OLCI will work (sometimes I have had trouble with MH OLCI on international sector)

Thinking of doing something crazy like this

KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - JHB
JBH - xKUL - TPE (next day)
KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - KBR
KBR - KUL
KUL - TPE

Wish me luck.. hope I don't die of boredom!

Glad to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to do something like this :D
When are you planning this trip? I'm doing a similar mileage run with no checked bags, hand carry luggage only ..
If it's after Easter, I'll post my experiences after my trip (plus a few days to get over the jet lag, like how I am adjusting now)
My itinerary is :

SIN - KUL (NIGHT STOP)
KUL - HKT
HKT - KUL - LHR (NIGHT STOP)
LHR - KUL - HKT
HKT - KUL (NIGHT STOP)
KUL - SIN

I did read about the uncertainties of doing a turnaround in HKT, so I'll be sure to ask the airport security to let me back into the departures area if I am being directed to arrivals & immigration.

It's the 1st time I am traveling long haul without a checked bag, so that'll be interesting!

p/s what does the x before the city name mean? E.g. xKUL - is that a stopover?

ermen Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 28065120)
Glad to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to do something like this :D
When are you planning this trip? I'm doing a similar mileage run with no checked bags, hand carry luggage only ..
If it's after Easter, I'll post my experiences after my trip (plus a few days to get over the jet lag, like how I am adjusting now)
My itinerary is :

SIN - KUL (NIGHT STOP)
KUL - HKT
HKT - KUL - LHR (NIGHT STOP)
LHR - KUL - HKT
HKT - KUL (NIGHT STOP)
KUL - SIN

I did read about the uncertainties of doing a turnaround in HKT, so I'll be sure to ask the airport security to let me back into the departures area if I am being directed to arrivals & immigration.

It's the 1st time I am traveling long haul without a checked bag, so that'll be interesting!

p/s what does the x before the city name mean? E.g. xKUL - is that a stopover?

xKUL just means transit... the original plan was to "transit" in KUL then do a bunch of side domestic trips.. but that has changed now as I did not manage to snag a cheap enough KUL-TPE ticket

I'm planning to do it before Easter. Come in to KUL on Fri (still tossing up should I come in ~10pm on MH or midnight on CX) and leave on Sunday evening (likely to be the 750pm KUL-HKG). Not too big a fan of the MH 737 in economy though...

At the moment it looks something like this

KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL
KUL-JHB
JHB-KUL
KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL
4 hour break from 545pm to 945pm (btw do you think its possible to get of KLIA and get to Klang and back?
KUL-JHB (overnight)

Next day
JHB-KUL
KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL
KUL-JHB
JHB-KUL
KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL

I reckon I would be sick of the MH 737 J plane...

Btw, did you get a cheap HKT - LHR ticket? That could be something I should look at going forward... think its probably better (for sanity) to get the 140 TP type flights in there

nov11 Mar 21, 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 28065920)
4 hour break from 545pm to 945pm (btw do you think its possible to get of KLIA and get to Klang and back?
KUL-JHB (overnight)

Possible? Yes. Advisable? Absolutely not. It takes about 45-60 minutes without traffic to get from KLIA to Klang and based on your arrival time at 1745 - there will be traffic unless it's the weekend.

Maybe we need a wiki thread for MH's turnaround/B2B flights :D

kt74 Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 28065120)

Brave. Have you been to the new international terminal at HKT? Arrivals is now on a completely different floor, so the turnaround route is not obvious at all. You should be able to make it out and back if there are no delays and no other flights arriving or departing at those times, but I personally wouldn't risk it...

tingtongbells Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Hope my sharing is appropriate for this turnaround/B2B thread:

If anyone is looking at turning around in KCH, remember that you will need to clear immigration, and get your boarding pass stamped. The transit desk agent told me that gate agent might deny boarding if boarding pass was not stamped by immigration officer. I'm not sure how will this be like if using a mobile boarding pass though - maybe I should try it one day.

To add on, there's dedicated immigration counters for transit passengers, one for transit to within Sarawak, another to outside Sarawak. These counters are usually not staffed. Approached any other immigration officer and tell them you're transiting and transit destination and they will ask their colleague to open up the counter to process you. Of course, I was asked the reason for my turn-around in KCH, and I had to cook up some story to the officer. I wonder how they'll react if I said I want to come home to eat a bowl of laksa :D

Also, the transit desk and immigration counter in KCH only process MH-MH connection (including MASWing). I was denied using the immigration counter even though I had a MH mobile boarding pass for verification when arriving to KCH on AK. I was advised by the immigration officer to clear immigration, go up to departure level landside and enter from there. Quite strange!

ermen Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 28066097)
Possible? Yes. Advisable? Absolutely not. It takes about 45-60 minutes without traffic to get from KLIA to Klang and based on your arrival time at 1745 - there will be traffic unless it's the weekend.

Maybe we need a wiki thread for MH's turnaround/B2B flights :D

It's actually going to be on a Sat.
Some people said it will be ok - but then some have said it could take 90min!
Lol... i was banking of trying some Klang bakkutteh

ermen Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tingtongbells (Post 28069128)
Hope my sharing is appropriate for this turnaround/B2B thread:

If anyone is looking at turning around in KCH, remember that you will need to clear immigration, and get your boarding pass stamped. The transit desk agent told me that gate agent might deny boarding if boarding pass was not stamped by immigration officer. I'm not sure how will this be like if using a mobile boarding pass though - maybe I should try it one day.

To add on, there's dedicated immigration counters for transit passengers, one for transit to within Sarawak, another to outside Sarawak. These counters are usually not staffed. Approached any other immigration officer and tell them you're transiting and transit destination and they will ask their colleague to open up the counter to process you. Of course, I was asked the reason for my turn-around in KCH, and I had to cook up some story to the officer. I wonder how they'll react if I said I want to come home to eat a bowl of laksa :D

Also, the transit desk and immigration counter in KCH only process MH-MH connection (including MASWing). I was denied using the immigration counter even though I had a MH mobile boarding pass for verification when arriving to KCH on AK. I was advised by the immigration officer to clear immigration, go up to departure level landside and enter from there. Quite strange!

Any reason why you chose KCH to do a turn-around?