Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

The MH Satay Guide + Appreciation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Coathanger
Routes With Trolley Satay Service:

KUL-PEK MH360
PEK-KUL MH361
KUL-SYD MH123

Routes With Satay As The Meal:

PEN-KUL MH1143
KUL-SIN MH623
Print Wikipost

The MH Satay Guide + Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Zawnet
The only time when you would get satay on this route is when it is part of the main meal, served with nasi goreng in the same casserole.
I assume that would be on night flights?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by wolf72
I assume that would be on night flights?
Not necessarily, as long as it's not a breakfast flight.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Not necessarily, as long as it's not a breakfast flight.
I was served an awful "supper" mean departing out of Lbu on a 5.45pm flight to Kul. It was sort of in between a snack and a meal...and it was not a proper meal as they normally do serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Not sure if anyone else have had "supper" served to them as yet.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Wonder how its made...?

Want to know how the satay is made?

Join Rhys William, the Malay speaking Englishman, aka MatSallehCariMakan as he discovers the secret behind our Business Class Satay dish!

I can only find this on Facebook, but I think it will eventually show up on MAS' Youtube channel. And for some stupid reason, the URL of FT will not allow a link to FB !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 12, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Want to know how the satay is made?

Join Rhys William, the Malay speaking Englishman, aka MatSallehCariMakan as he discovers the secret behind our Business Class Satay dish!

I can only find this on Facebook, but I think it will eventually show up on MAS' Youtube channel. And for some stupid reason, the URL of FT will not allow a link to FB !
+1 thanks!

He did an amazing review on the Sarawak Laksa as well.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:56 am
Suspended

~Satay...the greatest dish ever served in business class or first.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other than chicken, beef is not served on Asian routes. They use mutton instead. I read a report somewhere that they use good sirloin cuts for the beef satay!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:07 am
Suspended

Other than chicken, beef is not served on Asian routes. They use mutton instead. I read a report somewhere that they use good sirloin cuts for the beef satay!

They do~? Normal satay (beef) uses all parts of the cow though. Hardcore eating.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
They do~? Normal satay (beef) uses all parts of the cow though. Hardcore eating.
Yes. But apparently the meat toughens up at high attitude so that's why tender sirloin is used.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:47 am
Suspended

Yes. But apparently the meat toughens up at high attitude so that's why tender sirloin is used.

Makes sense then
Old May 1, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
I agree with other members re: the theatrics & aesthetics of serving satay 35,000 ft in the air. It really looks good, and so fancy even though satay on the ground is really not so refined. Personally, I find the satay marinade on the meat and the peanut sauce a little too sweet. But pairing it with some champagne & it balances everything
Old May 1, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I agree with other members re: the theatrics & aesthetics of serving satay 35,000 ft in the air. It really looks good, and so fancy even though satay on the ground is really not so refined. Personally, I find the satay marinade on the meat and the peanut sauce a little too sweet. But pairing it with some champagne & it balances everything

It actually is hard to find really good satay now day's in KL (as an example). They don't make satay the way they used to do..soft, tender, sweetish and tasty.

Someone recommended I try satay from a township near putrajaya recently (kajang satay?) and I found it tasteless and over rated.

If you do happen to find good satay, appreciate it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Reviving this year old thread. Apparently there was some guy who was mad for being served raw satay on a flight from Bali as reported by The Sun's appalling excellent journalism and later by Live and Let's Fly:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7030...lacement-food/

He connected to heathrow and didn't eat anything and is angry for not being given any compensation or replacement food(??? - he refused food and want replacement food?)

“I replied and told them that I was disgusted I hadn’t been offered any kind of compensation, and they said they would check if it was possible.

“They never came back to me after that. I tweeted them again to follow up but I got no reply.”

Jamie said: “I cannot believe I wasn’t offered any kind of compensation or replacement food on a very long journey.

“I missed out on three meals in total on my flights as I was too worried to eat Malaysian’s food again."
Notice that he didn't eat it and didn't get any food poisoning.

Interestingly, I recounted being served the same satay between PEN and KUL in J, and didn't quite realise that part of the chicken meat had a purple-ish hue until after I ate a few sticks, having drowsed the sauce to the satay. I didn't get food poisoning or anything, and I wouldn't say that I have a very strong stomach because I don't.

The supposedly raw satay I had didn't quite feel or taste raw, I know because I've accidentally eaten raw chicken once (which was a horrible experience). It had a very slight chew though I attributed that to the fat. Needless to say, I stayed on the safe side and didn't continue eating, though I didn't feel any effects after eating that. Though now, come to think of it, I kind of think that the chicken may have been smoked or something?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
When chicken is marinated particularly the thigh, I don’t think it loses its colour when cooked.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Well I sure as heck am not used to be served chicken with that colour! Does absolutely seem not properly cooked to me. Also the response of MH is of course pathetic, but that is the least surprising part of the story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.