Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Help please for MAS newbie - mum travelling alone in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all. My spritely mum has booked herself a trip to Sydney from London in F, travelling alone. We know the KUL to SYD leg is in J. However I wanted to check that with her F ticket, she will have access to the F lounge at Sydney? I understand this should be the Qantas lounge? I want to make sure she gets what she is entitled to and not be fobbed off with a biz lounge if she can be in F! Any other tips (Chef on Call?) etc that she should be aware of would be greatly appreciated. She has some fairly lengthy layovers in KUL both ways. (5 hours?)

Thanks in advance. CF
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Hi - Also - as an F passenger, can my mum guest someone into the lounges with her? (May have a friend travelling in coach one way or other on same flight) thanks in advance..
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Hi all. My spritely mum has booked herself a trip to Sydney from London in F, travelling alone. We know the KUL to SYD leg is in J. However I wanted to check that with her F ticket, she will have access to the F lounge at Sydney? I understand this should be the Qantas lounge? I want to make sure she gets what she is entitled to and not be fobbed off with a biz lounge if she can be in F! Any other tips (Chef on Call?) etc that she should be aware of would be greatly appreciated. She has some fairly lengthy layovers in KUL both ways. (5 hours?)

Thanks in advance. CF
Technically, she'll be travelling on a business class ticket as you've mentioned from SYD - KUL and I reckon she'll only have access to QF's J lounge, unless of course she is OWE. As a business class passenger without OWS/OWE, she will not be able to guest another passenger.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, the MH lounge at KUL does have a separate FC section, to the right as you face the reception desk.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, the MH lounge at KUL does have a separate FC section, to the right as you face the reception desk.
It does indeed - but if the OPs mother would like to use it, I would strongly recommend a sweater.

It is one of the coldest (temperature) lounges I regularly visit, and I find myself shivering at times!

M
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by asheby
Technically, she'll be travelling on a business class ticket as you've mentioned from SYD - KUL and I reckon she'll only have access to QF's J lounge, unless of course she is OWE. As a business class passenger without OWS/OWE, she will not be able to guest another passenger.

Hope that helps.
Arriving in F and connecting in J would generally still give you access to the F lounge in KUL.

Guesting privilege is for status holders, but you can always try nicely.

Globalist
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Many thanks .. I have a friend travelling to sydney in economy around those dates and It would have been nice if my mum could guest her into the lounge... but not worth the risk as friend really wants to travel via Dubai!!

Thanks so much... bit of a shame about the Qantas First lounge - she has a F ticket but there is no F class between KL and Sydney... not her fault!! I presume it is priced accordingly though?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Thanks so much... bit of a shame about the Qantas First lounge - she has a F ticket but there is no F class between KL and Sydney... not her fault!!
It's also not QF's fault that MH doesn't offer F to SYD. Even CX which is more dependent on premium traffic doesn't.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by Globalist
Guesting privilege is for status holders, but you can always try nicely.
When travelling in F without status F passengers can guest someone into the lounge.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by GTR56
When travelling in F without status F passengers can guest someone into the lounge.
It's a different story if you're arriving in F, departing in J.

It'll be a YMMV situation.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by SilverChris
It's a different story if you're arriving in F, departing in J.

It'll be a YMMV situation.
Indeed, at SYD she will not be able to guest into the J lounge but in KUL she will be able to guest into the F lounge.

Its a bit of a silly rule IMO when you consider the fact this is one ticket. I can understand if it was 2 separate bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.